BBC lunch time news

leaseone

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else noticed an increase in deer numbers ?

I think they have increased a lot in my area.When i am out lamping i can see upwards of 20 almost every night now !

yep we have an ever increasing number of fallow about locally, my mum has about 20 outside her house every morning and just down the road on a farmers land who won't allow shooting there is a herd of 90. They look fantastic but the number of road accidents is increasing as they have to travel about more for food.

Should be good if you're in the DSC business if they want more people trained up

whats the smallest calibre for shooting deer

Which is why the shooting of deer won't nor should be handed out to all comers. If you don't know the law about calibre, you won't have the first idea about gralloching and lymph gland inspection and what notifiable diseases to look for, you obviously haven't done DSC level 1 and again obviously haven't completed the health and hygene course, no I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the call come giving all untrained people the go ahead to cull the over population of Deer, they are afrter all protected by act of Parliament

Edited by fullbore

What he said.

But...

It does make you laugh, 'they are on the increase' 'need to be culled' yada yada yada.

So how come you still get charged so much to help out with the 'problem'?

because you'll pay and the elitist deer shooting fraternity seem to think it keeps the minions and common people out of the sport

the problem is though Axe is that it is still down to individual landowners to grant permission to shoot. There is no way to have a national policy and open access for a cull so you will just have land they are managed on and land where the owner likes them or doesn't want to control them and guess where the deer will decide its better to live!!

I’ve just had to crawl around on my belly in the mud for 2 hours to cull a roe doe that had been shot by some idiot in the shoulder with a .22 round. If the message is given by the media that deer are over populated then the ‘respect’ for proper deer management will diminish.

The problem is that people who have the shooting rights don’t like shooting does, me included!

Which is why the shooting of deer won't nor should be handed out to all comers. If you don't know the law about calibre, you won't have the first idea about gralloching and lymph gland inspection and what notifiable diseases to look for, you obviously haven't done DSC level 1 and again obviously haven't completed the health and hygene course, no I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the call come giving all untrained people the go ahead to cull the over population of Deer, they are afrter all protected by act of Parliament

still regarded as a pest/vermin by some. so why would them shooting deer under these conditions need any idea about gralloching and lymph gland inspection and what notifiable diseases, unless of course they where for human consumption.

i know folk who shoot them in vast numbers and they are not eaten.

If there numbers are getting that high it cant be good for the welfare of the animal.

the firearms department up and down the country could really help em out here.

kdubya

no doubt the BDS and or the forestry commission will keep it "in house" in order to keep costs of shooting deer up?

KW

this about sums it up.

money for the boys.

Edited by markbivvy

How does it work for the Forestry Commission though. Please excuse me if I sound daft, I simply don't know. Its certainly something I have never had to consider before.

They have their own full time stalkers, I am fairly sure now if you want to stalk on FC land you need to be DSC2 qualified.

You should have to have a piece of paper to shoot them but they do need to be managed properly not just whacked on sight with whatever you have with you at the time. A happy medium can't be that hard to work out.

I am fairly sure now if you want to stalk on FC land you need to be DSC2 qualified.

A happy medium can't be that hard to work out.

This is what I mean, surely if a happy medium can be reached, it would be good for all. Especially if the they haven't got the resource to do this.