.22LR rifles, rounds and rabbits

Hello all,

I have searched through many previous posts on this forums and cannot find the answer to the questions I have...

Although I have put both a .17HMR and a .22LR on my appllication, it's the .22LR I am most interested in - a CZ Varmint .22LR - for rabbits between 30-80 yards.

Having spoken to my local gunsmith very briefly yesterday (our conversation was cut short), he informed me that he very rarely sells .22LR ammunition as there's no call for it, but he stocks masses of standard .22 ammo. Seemed a bit wierd to me, when he sells LR rifles, mainly.

I'm really sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I need clarification...

1. What ammunition (from 22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Magnum) can I also use in a .22LR rimfire rifle?

2. What's the main differences between 22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Magnum and .22LR?

Thanks

I'm no expert but I have the very same rifle and I use Eley extra plus subsonic rounds.

These perform well.

I would not worry about other types of ammo as most of the subsonic rounds will do exactly what you want to do,

that is kill rabbits from 30-80yds.

If you still need more info and don't get it on here just Google it. There 's loads of info out there.

The 22 Magnum is totally different, you shouldn't even be able to buy these as there a different calibre and wont be on your ticket!

Your using 22 long rifle so you want 22 LR (LR = Long Rifle ) Ammo!

Dont ty and put the wrong ammo in your rifle as not all guns take them all and could get jammed in the barrel.

Thanks loads for your replies.

I did sort of suss that .22 Long would be the same as .22LR, but I just wanted to be sure.

It's all a wee bit confusing when there's .22 rimfire, .22 centrefire, .22LR, .22WMR when you're a newbie to rifles, and you want to be sure you're getting the right kit for the job.

Then again, perhaps it's me who's making it confusing... :good:

Probably!

I did sort of suss that .22 Long would be the same as .22LR, but I just wanted to be sure.

It's all a wee bit confusing when there's .22 rimfire, .22 centrefire, .22LR, .22WMR when you're a newbie to rifles, and you want to be sure you're getting the right kit for the job.

Then again, perhaps it's me who's making it confusing... :good:

Probably!

I'm sure some of the reloaders on here will correct me if I'm a little bit wrong, but to throw a little extra confusion, the 22 centrefires aren't just limited to the 22 Hornet, I shoot a 22-250, which is still a 22 bullet head, but a different case. There are loads of variations. (Citations please)

Get up to scratch on your basic rifle knowledge, as you want to come across as reasonably knowledgeable for your interview (if you've not had it)

Edited by harfordwmj

Then again, perhaps it's me who's making it confusing... :yes:

Probably!

.22 rimfire = .22 long rifle

.22 centrefire= .22WMR , .22 hornet etc...

.22 rimfire = .22 long rifle

.22 centrefire= .22WMR , .22 hornet etc...

:yes: .22wmr is rimfire, winchester magnum rimfire, much larger case than .22long or .22lr

Shorts are much shorter and can be fired in a long or long rifle, although they may have feed problems, long is longer ;) and can be fired in long rifle too, but lr can not be fired in long or short as it is a more powerful round than the long and to long for the short :yes:

typical values

.22 short 27 grain head and 560 -1100 ish fps velocity depending on variety, case .421 inch long

.22long 29 grain head and 720 -1100 ish fps '', case .613 inch long

.22lr 40 grain head and 1000 - 1800 ish fps '', .613 inch long

.22wmr 40 grain head and 2200fps '', case 1.055 inch long

:yes: .22wmr is rimfire, winchester magnum rimfire, much larger case than .22long or .22lr

Shorts are much shorter and can be fired in a long or long rifle, although they may have feed problems, long is longer ;) and can be fired in long rifle too, but lr can not be fired in long or short as it is a more powerful round than the long and to long for the short :yes:

typical values

.22 short 27 grain head and 560 -1100 ish fps velocity depending on variety, case .421 inch long

.22long 29 grain head and 720 -1100 ish fps '', case .613 inch long

.22lr 40 grain head and 1000 - 1800 ish fps '', .613 inch long

.22wmr 40 grain head and 2200fps '', case 1.055 inch long

Paul - I cannot thank you enough - that's exactly what I needed to know

Many thanks for taking to the time to explain that.

over here the .22 hornet is classed as a rimfire! and can be got on a normal rimfire ticket, you dont have to apply for a centerfire fac! wierd huh!

before it used to be that anything under .220swift could be had very easily! as it was classed as rimfire! and you had to go to huge trouble to get a .223 as it was classed as centerfire!

.22 long is the same thing as .22LR - the LR standing for Long Rifle!

A 22 LONG is NOT the same as a 22 LR. A 22 LR (long rifle) is the standard chambering and you'd be hard pressed to find a 22 rimfire (non magnum) that is chambered for anything other than 22 LR. However, in the past guns have been chambered for 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long rifle. If you have a rifle chambered for 22 long, DO NOT fire a 22 long rifle round in it. There is a difference. It won't apply to most guns, but there are some used guns floating around with long chambers. The 22 long isn't manufacturered anymore commercially, but the guns are still floating around.

If you want a good read about it, check here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm

Thanks,

Rick

Right just to add to the debate i cannot remember if i have these the right way round but...

2 years ago scaffy and myself bought some CB longs and some CB shorts for our rimmies..

we checked them on the cronno i think it was CB shorts were doing 140ftlbs

And the CB longs were doing 38ftlbs :) :)

Right just to add to the debate i cannot remember

at 70 odd years old mate, we understand your doing your best.

Potty time Mark, then bye beddies. Say goodbye to your little friends now. B)

Sorry Mike, you know what he's like mate. Turn your back and he wanders off. :) :)

The .22lr has loads of ammo available for it, from subsonic through regular velocity up to hyper velocity stuff. All will fit your rifle. Most of the time subsonics are the best choice as they're so quiet through a mod.

Why do you want a heavy barrel .22? They're just extra weight in the field and accuracy isn't much better. Get a short barrelled sporter and save yourself the effort of carrying something heavy! All the powder burns in 12" anyway, so the length wont gain you anything.