Not had a ciggi since last night

ShaggyRS6

2 weeks now since last smoke. Not bothering with any patches etc. I think that when you are ready to stop you will, it certainly seems to be the case for me.

Unfortunately, now that I have a sense of taste again, I have swapped nicotine addiction to Doritos and salsa. If the lung cancer cant have me, the coronary heart disease will!

ZB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found some interesting facts:

# In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.

# In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.

# In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.

# In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.

# In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.

# In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.

# In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.

# In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

# In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

# In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Get yourself out and find someone with a nice dose of flu this will stop you smoking for the first 3-4 days and after that should be easier.

After numerous attempts at stopping I would say will power is the best way, cutting down doesn't really work as it's so easy to get back up to normal levels again and nicotine replacement patches etc keep putting the nicotine in your body so you keep wanting it.

I stopped on 28th Dec 08 and so far going well, I've had a couple of lapses (night out very hammered and a really stressful day at work) but I didn't beat myself up about it and I didn't start again, sometimes get cravings where I think a cig would be nice but usually only lasts a few mins and my mind wanders onto something else.

Keep at it, once you get over the first week or two it gets a lot easier.

Good advice, Dr W. :good:

Good luck to all you chaps quitting. Myz, if you quit in December, you're home and dry, just keep resisting the spells of temptation and you'll see they get less frequent as time goes on, and easier to resist.

Shaggy, interesting facts there, I used to think about some of them when I was quitting. They missed one out though - after a few hours, you don't smell like a ******* ashtray any more :oops:

My first patch went on today (ok, three months later than I'd originally aimed for) and I'm going to make a go of it this time.

Basically, I need my lungs back again so that I can take 10 minutes off my 10k time by the end of the month. Should be fun. I don't smoke during the day though and only have a couple at night unless I'm having a couple of beers. Then it gets messy. Given that I had a three day weekend, I think quitting is a good thing.

Just don't buy any! Then whenever you give into temptation and go to where you keep them, they won't be there. :good:

Not as daft as it sounds :P

Many people who are quitting leave a packet tucked away in a drawer "just in case" :good:

Bad idea. Forget the "just in case" and do without. If you know there's a pack stashed, you will go for it if you're feeling annoyed/stressed/drunk/bored/sorry for yourself etc etc etc.

I am trying to eradicate the whole smoking ethos from my life.

1. The wife (without me asking) smokes outside the house now.

2. I scrubbed every inch of the house today (especially my computer room) shampooed the carpets, washed the walls and lamp shades, washed the ceilings blah blah blah. After 12 hours of cleaning I could still smell something in my computer room. Nailed it down to the Fans inside the PC. they attract the sticky brown gooey stuff from your cigs. So I cleaned every single fan in my 2 Desktop PC's.

3. Will leave windows open when its warm outside to air house.

4. Febreezed everything that moved.

5. Got some incense burny sticky things going. Now the house smells like a tarts armpit, is looking brand new, and for the 12 hours of graft I never craved a fag once :good:

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna dig this one up.

Its been a month to the day since I have given up. I do feel better for it.

I have taken up Mountain Bike Riding to counteract the food I am eating and I am really enjoying it.

I can smell a lot better. The food I eat tastes so much better, and according to my friends and family I no longer smell like an ashtray :hmm:

Gonna dig this one up.

Its been a month to the day since I have given up. I do feel better for it.

I have taken up Mountain Bike Riding to counteract the food I am eating and I am really enjoying it.

I can smell a lot better. The food I eat tastes so much better, and according to my friends and family I no longer smell like an ashtray :o

Well done on your first month. :o

It's not easy but i've been off them nearly 3 years now and I'm pleased I did quit ........ just got to get the weight off now that I put on from quitting. :hmm:

# In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.

# In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.

# In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.

# In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.

# In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.

# In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.

# In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.

# In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

# In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

# In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

# In 20 years you get hit by a bus

:hmm:

lol

Well done you, I really ought to quit myself.

Edited by dpile1

Its the first time i see this thread and what do i do after reading this thread from page 1? I light up!!

The thing that gets me is, when i started smoking the first cig was so bad i chucked the packet away, just to buy one the next day!

Good on you chaps for stopping, I think(know) its time for me to stop to, and not stopping till the next one!!

good on you shaggy, and the rest of you guys for quitting, my mum is "trying" to quit and has moved down to just 3 a day which she doesnt even need, and its starting to **** me off (i got asthma, so it starts me up) but i geuss ill get her to read this thread for a bit of motivation, keep it up guys your making yourself better (well i bet your wallets are feeling it a bit aswell right???)

Happy Shooting

Mark

:oops:

I used to smoke rollies, but I gave up 10 years ago, so it can be done.

The thing you want to do though is stop... cutting down don't work, dont have any fags in the house I supose its easier these days not being able to smoke in pubs any way.. when I started I tried the patches but didn't do anything for me, so went onto the gum, that really did the trick, also when you get the urge for a fag drink a pint of water, sounds daft I know but it works, you should do a bit of excercise as well even if its just a walk up the road or what ever, jog round a field helps to keep your mind busy don't think about the fags, If it was realy bad I'd get up in the middle of the night and go for a 2 mile run, (not that often)

It's not easy but you just need to stick to it, I supose you can use this forum as a crutch, you feel like a fag, post on here get a load of abuse craving disapears job done :oops:

Good luck and stick to it,