getting crosshairs verticaly straight?!

enemyofthecrow

i use a doorframe that ive checked with a spirit level,then mount a spirit level on a horizontal surface on the gun or mounts with blue tac.then line up the crosshairs with the vertical doorframe while keeping the rifle vertical using the spirit level as a guide.once set vertical practice mounting the rifle with your eyes closed,checking against the doorframe to perfect a vertical mount :blink: :D:)

BUY a scope allignment level , it fits onto your scope and matches up with crosshair.

Not quite right I am afraid, nothing will fasten to your scope and be aligned with the crosshairs without you having to do the alignment for yourself.

Sometimes the turret caps are spot on level with the horizontal hair, so a spirit level on that as well as one on the dovetail can help. You really do need to level the action first, and then the scope, and a plumb line is about the only method that is more or less error free .

When I last did a scope, I found that the last two turns of the bolts made the crosshairs move by about 5 degrees, so I set them 5 degrees off, then when you tighten it down they move into place.

Did take about 2 hours to get it right though! Grrrr

Sounds to me like you have tightened them too much, or that the mounts are not perfectly level//fitted correctly. You shouldn't have any shift in movement through fitting the scope.

small spirit level on the dovetails or on the bottom half of the scope mounts. then strap the rifle in its gun vice and double check the level. put the scopes in the mounts,but dont tighten scopes up.

plumb bob up 10mtrs away from the rifle and then look through the scope towards the string of the plumb bob. you'll soon know if the cross hairs are cock on or not. turn the scope to where you want it and then just pinch up the scope mounts. do not over tighten or you will crimp the scope tube and knacker them.

Phil

When I last did a scope, I found that the last two turns of the bolts made the crosshairs move by about 5 degrees, so I set them 5 degrees off, then when you tighten it down they move into place.

I reckon you weren't tightening the screws evenly, so when you got to this stage you had a gap on one side.

I did that once on a scope and marked the tube quite badly - but it was ok I sold it soon after.... to snakebite :good:

I find that the easiest way is to mount your scope loosely and place a sheet of card or anything with a straight edge on the floor.

hold your rifle so that the butt is on the ground with the straight line dead centre at the top and the bottom of the butt and the barrel is pointing straight upward.

look into the objective lens of the scope and the straight edge of the card should be clearly visible through the scope - simply rotate the scope until it is level with the straight edge.

Easy!

I hope i made it clear enough?

I find that the easiest way is to mount your scope loosely and place a sheet of card or anything with a straight edge on the floor.

hold your rifle so that the butt is on the ground with the straight line dead centre at the top and the bottom of the butt and the barrel is pointing straight upward.

look into the objective lens of the scope and the straight edge of the card should be clearly visible through the scope - simply rotate the scope until it is level with the straight edge.

Easy!

I hope i made it clear enough?

i like the sound of this method,

and even with my scope bent as a 9 bob note i manged my furthest single shot kill today, pigeon on a post facing me bsa hollow point in the neck scraggly little fleabag didnt even twitch at 35 40ish yards. :good:

How will it not show up John ?

I don't see how a bore sighter can show you the action is level. If you don't know that, then you cannot know the scope is also level. If the reference to a collimator is some extra distinction of which I am unaware then I am interested to learn.

I reckon you weren't tightening the screws evenly, so when you got to this stage you had a gap on one side.

I did that once on a scope and marked the tube quite badly - but it was ok I sold it soon after.... to snakebite :good:

Well luckily I knew what I was doing so never had a problem with it!

Best to leave jobs like that to the people who understand how to do them. :lol:

So how do you know the bore sighter is true to the action? Also any bore sighter I have seen simply shines a dot, no grid lines at all.

Obviously haven't seen many BoreSighters then.....Tasco Boresighters have a grid pattern...Here's a quote from this webpage, hope it clears it up for you...lol

http://www.binocularsdirect.com/ssrf.html

Now, sighting through the scope as though you were going to shoot you should see two sets of cross hairs.

One set is a plain cross hair (this is the one in the scope itself) and another set which is graduated or on a grid

(this is the one in the bore sighter).

These cross hairs should line up with each other vertically, horizontally and in complete alignment.

If the vertical and horizontal cross hairs are not parallel with each other,

adjust the bore sighter whatever direction it needs to turn in order to achieve this.

Next you need to get the cross hairs to cross or meet at precisely the same location.

If they do not do that you will need to adjust your scope so they do.

There are two adjustments on any scope.

One for elevation (usually on top) and another for windage (usually on the side).

Follow the directions that came with your scope for how to access these adjustments and what tool to use

(i.e.. screwdriver, etc.)

to make this adjustment.

Proceed to adjust your scope right, left, up, or down until the cross hairs match.

BJ.