Best shots

gibby

Shot a crow with a .243 @ a range of 223 yards.

My ground does really permit long range shooting.

One night whilst lamping last year, I managed to shoot two foxes with one bullet at a range of about 100 yards. :)

Also last season I took a roe buck during the rut at a distance of 210 yards. B)

My first ever woodcock when I was 11 during really thick snow; I was walking around a whin bush and I heard it getting up behind me, in a blink of an eye I swung round and shot it going round a tree with a snap shot (I'll never forget that shot).

Also shooting magpies in a small fur plantation one night with my dads semi-auto I shot 3 grey crows in a row with 3 shots in the space of about a second.

While roost shooting I have had some cracking shots but there isn't enough room to mention them all.

If I were to mention all the shots I will remember for a long time I would be here a while so the before mentioned are just a couple of memorable shots.

Cheers Ollie

My first ever Red deer taken in January this year. Not a particularly long shot, 120 yds, but will always stick in my mind, partly because of the 90 minute stalk, partly

because of the kick in the eye I got from the scope, but mostly because the shot placement was spot on and she dropped on the spot.

More like luckest shot

some time ago now, my mate had just got a .22 rimfire we had a old airgun scope 4 x 20 we put it on the rifle went round the back of the farm to sight it in, out in the field was a woodpigeon i lent on the roof of an old car aimed and shot it dead, it was 80 yards and that was the first shot with it never ever do it again

About ten years ago on Lindisfarne me and a mate were shooting rabbits, he had my 12 bore I had a bsa 5 shot.22 bolt action with 3x9x40 nikko ,a rabbit bolted at about 45 yards and I swung and fired before my mate got a shot, on closer inspection the rabbit was shot clean in the head, It was the first and last time I fired at a moving target with a rifle, reckon after doing it once the odds against would be pretty high, bit like winning the lottery twice,

regards David.

My best ever (LUCKY) shot came in 1948 while I was in the army at Arborfield, Berkshire. I was doing some carpentry work on the 30yrd outdoor range when a sgt:and a corp: showed up with a .45 service revolver, some ammo and an empty beer bottle,which they stood up in the sand as a target. To make a long story short, they were hitting every thing except the bottle, much to my amusement, when the sgt: turned to me and said, "'spose you can do better lad, here its loaded". The first shot must have hit dead centre, as it left the neck of the bottle unbroken, so I fired again and smashed the neck to pieces. That was the first and last time I ever fired a .45 service revolver. Talk about luck.

Best regards,

Feather.

walking down a track doing a bit of rough shooting with 2 of my mates they had 12bores cause they had been shooting for a while they give me the 410 hammer action.pigeon flew out behind us i turned cocked the barrel aimed bang the pigeon comes down at about 30 yards. my two mates didnt even hear the woody come out behind us needless to say i couldnt stop grinning all day.especially when we got to a field of rape sowed over wheat. hid in a ditch with my two mates box of carts each went on to shoot 47 pigeons got the bug ever since.

Sorry to sound boring, and I don't mean to shake things up bearing in mind I've only been a member of this site for a matter of days, but if you ask me the best shots are sometimes the ones that you don't take.

In my experience, the best shooters are the ones that refuse very difficult or long range shots which always bring with them an increased risk.

Couldn't agree more Gralloch - Don't worry about expressing your views or shaking things up - makes it interesting.

There's a recent thread on here entitled "new pb" which I would expect you might have something to say about Gralloch.

400+yard shots on live quarry being discussed

One of the most memorable shot I had was a left and right at pigeons whilst walking along a hedge row. Was my old dogs las full seaon she worked and the new dogs first season, and to put them both on to a bird each and both of them retrieve them to hand made it special. :o

Have only had one other like that where both dogs retrieved a bird each. That was'nt a quite a left and right as such.

Dogs were working in front when new dog puts up a pheasant. As I shot it and sent him hin he put up another one, which I also shot and then sent the old girl in to retrieve. :devil:

Trev.

I think one of my most memorable shots of all time was when i was 14 with my grandads .22 rimfire it was a rabbit running along in the field i swang and fired and shot it straight through the neck at 126 yards and that made my day........

my next was me and my mate were hiding in a ditch under a flight line about 20 yards apart there was a big oak tree in the middle of the field it was 63 yards to the base of the tree and my friend had not had a shot all day and this pigeon landed up the tree so he said fire near it to see if it would turn this way so i fired and this thing just fell on it's back i was gob smacked to say the least there had been one pellit hit it through the eye

• 2 months later...

Chill out Hesky, you'll soon realise that posts by Hill Billy are predominantly ********, with a sprinkling of **** and a topping of fantasy for good measure.

Only last week his "pigeon shot in the eye" story was actually 110 yards to the foot of the Oak tree, and it was his Grandad and Dad that wanted him to "Scare" the bird out to see if it would fly back to them.

Mine are on Geese.

With 1 shot I've had 4 geese once, had 3 twice and 2 over 20 times but I would say they are more luck than skill.

I've had 3 on the bounce with my auto half a dozen times. All on the foreshore.

The most memorable ones are the 55-60 yard singles zipping with a gale force wind up there ****! I had a Greylag like this on the last day of the season and one or two others over the years.

Oh and I shot a Squirrel in the head at 35 yards yesterday with my AAs410 carbine .22, I was quite chuffed with that one. :)

Mark. <_<

Went out on Monday evening to a part of the farm where the rabbits have been cropping the new shoots on the edge of the field.

Started a low crawl across the field with a new bi-pod on the front of the Sako (never used one on a rimfire before). Took @ half an hour to get into position and then managed to shoot a hatful of bunnies. Not as exciting as deer stalking, but just as much pleasure. :)

Went home and got a telling off from the boss for coming home covered in bloody mud…..silly old fool. :*)

G.M.