Brits think countryside is "boring"

Chard

scary isnt it that people think that way!

when i lived in Oxfordshire I met some children on a weekend away from London who asked me what are those things in the field? When I told them they were sheep , they replied "never seen sheep before? what do they do and why do people keep them?" Frightened the hell out of me that people could be so out of touch with the real world.

Only positive is at least they wont be encouraged to invade on the picnic front and leave the countryside to us who truly appreciate it.

It's quite sad that people think that way. The trouble is modern life leaves the countryside seeming like it doesn't offer much. You have to make a real effort to get out there to start with, then the things you see make you want to go back for more. I started off just wandering around when I was a kid if my mates were busy. After some time I was busy and my mates didn't see me so much. I never had a computer when I was a kid, I'm so glad about that now I look back at the experiences I had rather than waste my life staring at a TV screen!

Unfortunately it's those 53% who find the countryside boring who vote and protest against what we enjoy doing,

wether thats hunt shoot or fish. And they don't even want to be in the countryside

be warned the thin end is already there :D

This is SO depressing... though you have to wonder who answered this questionnaire.

I grew up in the countryside and was never bored, there was always something to do - and so many little adventures to be had. My little one is almost walking now, and I can't wait to take him out and about looking for wildlife and picnicing in the countryside - I do like to go abroad for my holidays etc to guarantee some glorious sunshine - but at weekends, the beautiful outdoors is just a short trip away!

I think that Flashman, in his inimitable and charming way, hit the nail on the head - Travelodge inmates are not a true representation of the wider British public.

I'm sitting in the garden with my laptop, looking out over fields of wheat and OSR, enjoying the sun and pretending to be completing the Single Farm Payment paperwork. Shooting squirrels on the lawn is proving more fun though. How anyone can think the countryside is dull is beyond me.

I think I can add something to this thread. It would seem we're overlooking the obvious. The poll was done by travelodge, right? Well, I'd reckon that most of those using Travelodge are goining to be Townies anyway. The kind who do think that meat comes in ready wrapped packages and wasn't actually a living creature once. The kind of people who have a monotonous office job (probably in sales) and guage everything by how fat their monthly pay cheque is and whether their car is bigger, better, more expensive than their neighbours. The kind of person who would never shop anywhere other than a supermarket.

But as one previous post on here clearly and rightfully stated - The Countryside IS a dangerous place so be afraid, be very afraid! You may just end up stepping in a fresh cowpat or getting a thorn in your little pinky (not that one, the other one).

I think I can add something to this thread. It would seem we're overlooking the obvious. The poll was done by travelodge, right? Well, I'd reckon that most of those using Travelodge are goining to be Townies anyway. The kind who do think that meat comes in ready wrapped packages and wasn't actually a living creature once. The kind of people who have a monotonous office job (probably in sales) and guage everything by how fat their monthly pay cheque is and whether their car is bigger, better, more expensive than their neighbours. The kind of person who would never shop anywhere other than a supermarket.

But as one previous post on here clearly and rightfully stated - The Countryside IS a dangerous place so be afraid, be very afraid! You may just end up stepping in a fresh cowpat or getting a thorn in your little pinky (not that one, the other one).

Oh, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that these views are from city people. A high percentage of the population of the UK are townies/city people. I think it's fairly safe to assume that the rural part of the population and most of those living in villages, do appreciate the countryside. The worry of course, is that this town/city population have the vote :good: . I find it unacceptable that people like this, with the views and ignorance that they have, are allowed to vote on issues which affect the countryside, be it farming or country sports, conservation or whatever. They can't identify a sheep or a bluebell, but they can influence whether we shoot or dock our dogs tail or what farmers do on their farms. Can't be right :lol:

I totally agree whole heartedly. And If I had actually read all the other posts I would have realised that this was pretty much what most are saying in some way, shape of form. Wasn't that I could be ***** to read them all, just didn't have enough time this morning.

Anyhow, I think means testing would be the proper way to find out if those who are casting votes or being asked their opinions actually have any idea of what they are being asked.

That is extremely depressing reading, and sums up my beliefs about most of the general public: that they simply have no idea what the countryside is,

17% claim they know the Countryside Code? Utter rubbish. 1.7% would be a more accurate figure.

Oh come on they do its the green thing you see out of your window when on the M6 :good:

"10% thought it was safe to eat all berries and fungus they found growing in the countryside. "

Why don't we push a national countryside trip scheme? Cheap holidays for every UK city dweller to diffrent parts of the countryside. Natural selection will solve 10% of the other problem and the other 90% might just enjoy themselves.

But seriously these statistics don't suprise me and to a certain extent they don't bother me.

I wouldn't consider where i live as a distinctly rural area, not far from the countryside but i have easy access to cities, but i love the country and respect it, and as often as i can, enjoy it. The people from big cities can easily access the country side if they want, it's just a car/bus trip away, and they know it exists, they just are not intrested. So i'm glad that the people who do not care, and would not respect the countryside are keeping there ignorance in there concrete jungles. No point trying to educate those who do not want to learn.

The only way this is alarming is the fact that they help deside policy which will affect the countryside, but we have not lived in a democracy for some time so it would all be down to the fattest MP anyway.

these people who find the country side boring are probably the same people who litter the lay-by`s with plastic bags full of disposable nappies and other unsavoury rubbish , ..So to all you people who find it boring stay in town it`s more exciting dodging the beggars , hoodies <_<