sako Rommy's

paulos

hi,

pretty new to these boards but need some advice on rimfires.

I'm just about to apply for my FAC and have been looking at a few sakos.

Has anyone had any experiene with them and if so what do you think? I can't decide between the heavier varmint model or the lighter hunter model. Is there a great difference in accuracy and range between the two?

thank a lot

paulos :lol:

ps. sorry, i've just realised that i've spelt "rimmy's" wrong in the title!

Edited by paulos

hi,

ive used all 3 sako models, and to be honest, they are all just as accurate, or at least they shoot better than the user

thevarmint (heavy barrel) is just that, and is quite noticeably heavy, however the other one is quite nice and normal weight

with the heavy barrel the zero wont get knocked off by the adition of a silencer, however on the standard one it will (not that this is an issue, most people have no reason to take a silencer off)

my one criticsm of the rifle is that they have used too much plastic for such a high quality manufacteur, none of their centerfire's have plastic........so why the rimfires......i dont know, its silly.

but besides this minor niggle they are great guns

personally i would go varmint, but purely becuase i sit more than i walk, and the added weight of the barrel would not concern me, and would just give me more confidence in where it was going to shoot

i have the sako varmint heavy barrel

had the barrel shortened last year and find it great

very good for shooting out the window of my 4x4 when lamping

you wont go far wrong if you buy one i think they are ace and very very accurate

i have put nearly 3000 rounds of winchester sub sonics through mine and never had a problem

cheers shawn

I have both a Sako .22 and a 6.5x55.

Both shoot very well. I have a heavy barrel in the rimfire. Soemtimes I think its impossible for it to miss!

I have developed a load for the 6.5 which makes it shoot fantastic.

Having tried many rifles, I am a big fan of sako. They are expensive though.

I too have the heavy varmint...very nice rifle and the extra weight makes it feel like its a larger calibre rifle.... something I like about it, when I purchased mine late last year I'd picked up many rimmys but I found the SAKO stood out from the rest by far.

Stick 10 bunnies in your back pack then come across a barbed wire fence and you will find yourself doing some real disco dancing on the top wire though with the Varmint.. :lol:

The PM

post-18-1112736368.jpg

thanks everyone!

looks like you've settled it for me! sako finnfire varmint it is! i've just got to suss out these bloody forms now, how i long for the days when you could just buy one from the post office! :lol: quick question while i'm on the subject,:lol: how do you enter that you wish to use a sound moderator on your application form? theres only entries for rifle type, calibre etc. or do you not need to for a rimfire?

thanks again, Paulos

Guys some good feelings around the Sako rimfire. I am thinking of applying for a 17HMR rimmy later this year. Could I ask some of you guys what sort of ££ are you talking about for a Sako of this type. Also what type and cost for a suitable scope.

Thanks

£470 for the rifle, £165 for the mod!!!! :lol:

Go CZ and get rifle, mod, bipod, sling, gun bag,and a decent scope and still have change for a heap of ammo. That is if you intend to actually shoot rather than admire wood grain or chequering patterns.....also avail in HM2, HMR, &.22WMR.

Right I'll get me coat..

Spoke to the people at Webley a couple of weeks ago and the price for the new .17 Mach 2 barrel is £200 plus VAT.

This includes drilling 2 holes in the side of your nice Sako stock, so that you can change between the .22 rf and .17 M2 barrels without removing the action, and re-proofing the rifle.

Personally I would rather save up the extra money and buy the complete .17 rifle (or use the £240 to buy a CZ).

The M2 barrel is a Lothar Walther one, and is probably bought in from Germany for @ £50, so why anyone would want to pay the extra £190 just to have 2 holes drilled in their stock and re-proof is beyond me, because there isn’t that much work involved in fitting it!!!!!.

G.M.

Call me old fashioned..but i dont like .17.

I think a .22 is they way. Simply because can be silenced with subs. If you want to shoot crows out to 200rds then bully for you but i have never seen the need for one, maybe because i use something that might be new to some people. Its called field craft.

I can see how fun and the exictment you can get from blowing a crow to bits at these ranges, but if you do your home work, get your field craft right, you can bring the most wary of crows in to 30 yards and as im sure your aware thats airgin territory.

I await the s%&t storm i have just caused but there you go.

p.s as for sakos, get one, they do seem to have a little to much plastic for a .22 of that price but i have a Hunter with a sak mod on it and a white tail experdition on bored and it does fine for me. I dont think there is anything especially bad on the market at the moment.

Will

:rolleyes: :o :D

Bleedin eck! Hang the .22 on the wall as a reminder of how things were done in the bad old days when you had to crawl thro all manner of she ite cammoed up like a prize *** to lob a lump of lead that would probably miss/ pass through the target and ricochet away to who knows where.

Old fashioned?:D you're an antique mate.!!

Welcome to the days of doing things differantly and embrace the change!! You never know you might like it?:D Then again........