Deer Caliber

wildfowler.250

Any calibre rifle including .22 rimfire will kill a big norfolk red stag eventually . What we all want is an instant clean kill with not having to follow up and re stalk a wounded deer . To be able to do this you need a calibre that will provide enough energy to penetrate the beast and expand to cause a massive wound cannal that the beast cannot survive . A deer hit by a major calibre rifle will die very quickly or instantly . The two best expanding rounds in my opinion are the .270 and the .308 . I have used all the major calibres in my time and have found the .243 lacking in the wound cannal department on big red stags .

My point is yes the .243 is a mighty fine stalking calibre in the hands of a good rifleman and will of course kill deer instantly but in my opinion the .308 will kill it quicker if the shot was not placed 100% in the right place by creating a much bigger and deadlier wound cannal .

Harnser .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any calibre rifle including .22 rimfire will kill a big norfolk red stag eventually . What we all want is an instant clean kill with not having to follow up and re stalk a wounded deer . To be able to do this you need a calibre that will provide enough energy to penetrate the beast and expand to cause a massive wound cannal that the beast cannot survive . A deer hit by a major calibre rifle will die very quickly or instantly . The two best expanding rounds in my opinion are the .270 and the .308 . I have used all the major calibres in my time and have found the .243 lacking in the wound cannal department on big red stags .

My point is yes the .243 is a mighty fine stalking calibre in the hands of a good rifleman and will of course kill deer instantly but in my opinion the .308 will kill it quicker if the shot was not placed 100% in the right place by creating a much bigger and deadlier wound cannal .

Harnser .

Spot on!!!!!!!!

ft

Thanks for all the replies :blink:

At the moment the 6.5 sounds very popular but would I realistically have to reload because thats another whole new thing to me. The milder recoil sounds like a good plus though!

The 7mm08 sounds like another interesting one, can't say I've heard much about it though?

The .308 sounds like the the one a lot of people go for, so at least that would give me plenty ammo availability and a good knock down power :rolleyes: decisions!

Any sites that give info on calibers that gives info on trajectory and so on just for a wee comparison?

And I'm guessing I'll almost have to get the rifle moderated? :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

are BT's legal for deer?

Steve

You could debate that till the cows come home but, I would say yes.

In essance, its a hollow point tipped with a polymer to give better aerodynamics.

The polymer disintegrates on impact and the hollowpoint does it's thing.

I'm about to take cover for the incoming barrage :welcomeani:

At the moment the 6.5 sounds very popular but would I realistically have to reload because thats another whole new thing to me.

No just use Federal 140 grn soft points, it's been said a hundred times before, but it is true, they will kill anything that walks on these Isles (including boar)

just how big is the 6.5x55 then ? I didnt think it was that big a calibre as I have read the fuzz will grant it as a first time CF rifle + allow for both fox and deer. :good:

What calibre's would you say it was nearest to ? I thought it wasn't that much bigger than a 243. :welcomeani:

Guest RemmySPS

6.5x55mm Swede Specifications.

Bullet Diameter - .264"

Maximum Case Length - 2.160"

Trimmed Case Length - 2.150"

243 Winchester Specifications.

Bullet Diameter - .243"

Maximum Case Length - 2.045"

Trimmed Case Length - 2.035"

The bullet is @ ½ mm bigger and the case is @ 3mm longer

The main difference is in the barrels with the common twist rate for .243 being 1-10 allowing 100grn bullets (you can get faster twists) whilst the Swede normally uses @ 1-7 which allows it to shoot heavier bullets up to 160grn.

just how big is the 6.5x55 then ? I didnt think it was that big a calibre as I have read the fuzz will grant it as a first time CF rifle + allow for both fox and deer. :good:

What calibre's would you say it was nearest to ? I thought it wasn't that much bigger than a 243. :welcomeani:

It's nearest in size to the .260 Remington, but they are not similar in performance (the .260 runs at a higher pressure, being a more modern calibre).

I use 270 at the moment for everything bit of an overkill for somethings. They do have reputation for be kickey and noisey but with moderators no different than any other rifle seen or heard.

Limited choice of ammo in wigeth only aviable is from 100 to 150 grain bullets. I use 130 grns for everything. Aslo it fast, hard hitting, flat shooting compared to a 308. As like with 243, 270 and 308 nearly every one will have ammo for them.

It is also used a lot in Scotland on Red Stags in full rut it will stop them, and is also boar legal if need and you have it on your ticket.

That it for we i would go 270 but thats personal blief.

Dave

Try some 90-grain (Sierra) hollow points in your .270, Dave. I have some loaded up for foxing. It is like a laser beam, flat as hell with the most almighty wallop at the fox's end.

I also use 130gr handloads in the .270 on a day-to-day basis, which are fantastic, and gloriously accurate in my Sako. The .270's terrifying reputation is unjust, whipped up on the basis of a lot of hearsay.

are BT's legal for deer?

Steve

Yes....but make sure you use BT's designed for hunting and not varminting.

ALSO...drive them at the correct speed and they are excellent....drive them too fast and they will not penetrate and expand correctly.

Edited by Browning

I saw a federal promo video, where they shot Nosler BT, Bear claw tip, Gameking and Barnes TSX...and the BT was on form with the Bear claw tip at 100yds through thin skined deer hide and BT...but it died when it went through elk hide and had to go through a bone as well, the Bear claw definately won...but the interesting thing is, is that on all the tests, the Barnes TSX penetrated all the hide and exited the 22" balistic gelatin blocks in all tests.

All bullets were same weight through 30-06...BT's arent that bad

Steve

was just wondering if you could narrow the choice down a bit for me :hmm:

How does the .270 (meant to be a meat basher ect) compaire with the .308? im assuming .308 is a bigger bullet so why does the .270 do more damage as such? is it a lighter bullet in a longer cartridge,(kind of like compairing a .17 to a .22) or is it just that the .308 can be loaded slower and heavier? in which case im guessing the .270 will have better trajectory ect? :D