Pope

Fisherman Mike

Seeing all the pictures and news reels of the Thousands massing to see the deceased Pope JP I cant help being a bit cynical and am reminded of the Princess Di situation where all this public outpouring of grief snowballed into a commercial debacle.

If there are so many lamenting, Roman catholics out there why are the all the churches virtually empty of worshipers each week :lol:

Is this genuine or a modern phenomenon called "Griefphoria"...

No disrespect to any ardent Catholics or indeed people of any religious denomination which may read this.

What do you all think...:ernyha:

FM.

Im not religeous at all except when I keep missing the shot and look up at the sky :lol:

But seriously, and not wishing to affend anyone, why is it that they all flock to him now he's dead?? Wouldnt they have best honoured him by seeing him alive?? :ernyha:

I dislike the fact it has taken up the news for so long. I have to say that I personally reckon he died a few days before they announced- perhaps on Aprils fool day- that wouldn't have sounded good! I think the vatican have milked the attention and media exceptionally well.

Don't mean to sound disrespectful but I hear ITV have a new program coming soon to your TV - Pope Idol.

I couldn't believe the amount of media hysteria that has gone on over this. We heard nothing on the news about anything else for days. Why did all our news stations decide that as a nation who's church going Roman Catholics must number as a significant minority we all were so interested in the health and subsequent death of the pope?

Also, what really p's me off is that now his dead he is being credited with just about everything from the colapse of the cold war to peace in Northern Ireland. Maybe I'm just a bit cynical about this but if he was a great leader of billions around the world then why didn't I actually notice him doing anything when he was alive other than try to stop people using condoms and having abortions?

I have the greatest respect for people of faith as I have a practical personal faith myself. But I agree that the media and the commercial crows milk such situation. Like any world figure head (no matter your personal feelings of beliefs) I think the Pope should get proper media coverage, it a change from Location Location Location type programme, but yes we are in overkill up to our necks by now.

I like the point about where are all the people on Sundays??

My father use to say "bring me the flowers when I'm living". Sadly at his funeral there was hundreds of flowers, he would not have liked that.

I think anything on TV around religion of faith gets knocked quite hard particully if it is on Christian faith. With all the Digi Boxes and Sky TV there is enough room to service everyones interest. If I don't like it I switch side. For me, I want to live and let live. I have alway found that once we get to know someone, even if we don't agree with their beliefs, there is good in them and we alway have more in common than that which divides us. If you are confident and firm in what you believe, then you will not be threatened by another from another walks of life; whither faith, culture, status, sport, trade, politics etc.

??

I believe in being fare to all. It is my intention to give as much attention to the Popes funeral, as I intend giving to the upcoming "Royal wedding".

Which I can assure you, is no hill of beans.

Best regards,

Feather

I used to believe in God and all that, when I was too young to believe otherwise.

Now abit older and a tad bit wiser I do reserve jugdement, certainly, I believe in something; not neccesarily the church and God.

Its understandable that the RC's will be mourning for the Head of their religon, so let em be. Its obviously a big deal in their eyes. Its very easy to pass judgement, without knowing the full details, and what infact this man ment to so many people.

If you dont like it, press the small button on your remote and change channel.

Each to their own.................... It wouldnt do for us all to be the same

Paul in North Lincs.

Seeing all the pictures and news reels of the Thousands massing to see the deceased Pope

97.31% of the population of Italy (where Rome is), are Catholic.

The total population is about 58 million people.

Is it any surprise that there are hundreds of thousands of Italian Catholics, wishing to pay their respects.

Add on to that total a few tens of thousands of pilgrims.

Next comes the Heads of State and Royalty, who feel that they should be seen there.

Totals up to quite a crowd.

Its unfortunate that the Media tend to go overboard at these occasions, especially the TV.

But, as Paul in North Lincs said, " If you dont like it, press the small button on your remote and change channel." :lol:

at the end of the day an old man died.no amount of wailing,hand wringing or taking photos on camera phones can make it anything else.at least this country didnt stoop to the levels of mass mourning for an unknown the way it did when "lady" di popped off.

Dazza.. Your quotes imply that the whole of catholisism is based upon contradictions of the Bible.......................

I would n't have thought all of the practicing authodox catholics in the world would be foolish enough to do exactly the opposite of that their Holy Book says :lol:

Paul in North Lincs

Religeon is very contradictory, people in a position of power choose to interprit how they like.

Religeon is evil and it is all a bag of ballocks!

How can you have a billion or so Christians think they are right and a billion or so Muslims think they are right same with budists, sikhs etc. The whole thing is a scam. If we had never had religeon and they invented christianity tommorow they would be looked on like freeks similar to David Koresh and hish branch davidians of (Wako fame).

I am all for religeon if it brings comfort to people in times of kneed but the amount of murder and hatered in the name of religeon by far out weighs the good it does. A good infrastructure of Law, Phsichiatrists and psycholagists would negate the requirement for religeon in my book

Ok guys time to put the record straight. Darren on his death bed requested a bible and became a Christian. It was not a evolution book but a book that require no more faith that any other book. The TV won't tell you that side of Darren, bad for rating.

We all belive in something even if it is our belief ito chose not to beleive.

I beleive in God personally and you may not. The amont of faith is relative.