Is it concentration or technique?

I'm 16 and my main problem is consistency. I shoot alot better on instinct and generally kill the first pair or two no problem, but it's after that when I start thinking about what I'm doing and trying to repeat it that I muck things up big style.

...and I think that might be very similar to what my lad does as well. Thanks for everyone's continued responses.

you dont have to be able to shoot quickly to be a good shot. the better shots seem to have all the time in the world :good::good:

I watched an old boy at our club shoot, talk about slow motion. He missed nothing, I tried to replicate but failed miserably.

Lessons are the key I think.

:good:

but it's after that when I start thinking about what I'm doing and trying to repeat it that I muck things up big stylee.

FM :good:

FM

Order the book mentioned earlier by Lanny Bassham.

Your quote is a classic example from the book, your problem was you thought about what you were doing instead of trusting your already good subcontious shooting skills to carry you through, you had already done well up to that point but your own self doubt started to talk to you & you were worried that you could not keep up the performance through to the end, that is called "self talk" & you need to learn how to control it.

The contious mind can only think of one thing at a time, if you make sure that thing is a positive one then you cant think about anything negative at the same time, so focus on something positive & just let your subcontious skills shoot the shotgun & dont let the "self talk" say anything negative.

As soon as you try to control your shooting with your contious mind it will fall apart, its like learning to driving a car, in the begining you try too hard & think about everything you have to do & it becomes hard work & you make a mess of it, once you have spent many hours doing it however the skills needed become subcontious & it becomes easy, shooting is similar, practice & learn the skills then relax & just let it happen & keep the self talk positive.

Yoda says it best... "do" or "do not".. "there is NO try".

N

your theorys from this book will work pretty well for set disciplines like skeet but not for sporting. sporting is a thinking mans game. no targets are the same and if you put your mind in neutral you will suffer.

the easy bit is hitting the clay, the hardest is hitting them all. you have to know EXACTLY where your shooting each and every shot and repeat it, any straying from this will result in a miss.

i could go on for hours explaining different ways but i have not the patiance to type all night.

relax yes.

concentrate, yes.

switch your mind off, NEVER.

your theorys from this book will work pretty well for set disciplines like skeet but not for sporting. sporting is a thinking mans game. no targets are the same and if you put your mind in neutral you will suffer.

the easy bit is hitting the clay, the hardest is hitting them all. you have to know EXACTLY where your shooting each and every shot and repeat it, any straying from this will result in a miss.

i could go on for hours explaining different ways but i have not the patiance to type all night.

relax yes.

concentrate, yes.

Couldn't have put it better myself :good:

I agree that different clay disciplines require different approaches, there's no "one size fits all" answer to this game.

beretta

I perhaps didn't explain it very well im sorry, but nowhere in the book or the cd seminar does Lanny say you must switch your mind off, I never said that either, a good performance happens when there is a balance between three things.

1 Concentration

2 Well practiced subcontious skills (only gained from regular practice & hard work)

3 A strong self image,

When all those things are in balance & working together a good performance is easy.

Most people do concentrate & have practiced to a point where there subcontious skills are quite good but its self image they fall down on, however when they have a bad performance they seem to think they need more practice & so go back to building subcontious skills instead of their self image.

Here is just one example of how self image can effect your score, we all have a comfort zone, for instance when you shoot higher scores than you usually do during the first three stands say, you may be the kind of person who starts to worry that its not like you to do this good & you begin to worry you cant keep it up until the end ?

Thats your self image holding you back, likewise when we shoot badly to begin with, your self image may say to you, "pull your socks up" im not that bad of a shooter, dont be surprised if your scores pick up enough for you to score around the same as you usually do by the end, sound familiar to anyone ?

I had never heard of the self image before reading the book several years ago, im convinced its what seperates the winners from everyone else & keeps them on top.

Its a fact that 95% of the winning is done by only 5% of the players, there is something very different about the way those 5% think.

There is much more to the mental game, & most people never bother to explore the subject very far or even bother at all.

N.

Neil,

I suppose a smooth mount and track through and in front of the clay and continuing

the swing is the subconcious bit you're talking about.

Working out where you're swinging and how much lead you need is the concious bit.

?

I've found that when I _really_ concentrate on the clay I shoot better, when I start

thinking about my mount, where the barrels are etc it all goes out the window.

Nial.

neil smith.

thats better put.

not a great believer in the self image area personally. i think it creates arrogance to me although i do understand your views.

my approach is to ignore the last stand and forget what you got, start afresh on the next.

if you start getting frustrated or annoyed with yourself go for a walk before you shoot again. settle yourself down.

ive done ok at sporting shooting over the years and never had any self image.

to the guy who pm'd me. yes i do know what im on about. :good:

not a great believer in the self image area personally. i think it creates arrogance to me although i do understand your views.

ive done ok at sporting shooting over the years and never had any self image.

I agree it can easily be misinterpreted by others as arrogance but its more to do with supreme confidence in your own ability that allows you to perform at your best.

Your own self image is there alright your just choosing to ignor it, you just said "ive done ok at sporting shooting" thats a self image right there, I suspect as you have already been winning matches you have the self image of a winner already & are just being modest :good: we have a self image about every single thing we do in life, its like you to act a certain way or do certain things, when we do something new for the first time we dont expect to be very good, thats a self image of a beginer & so on.

Guys like to think they are good drivers, now if we all were, there wouldn't be so many crashes, but its the self image that your good that makes people drive to fast.

Concentration & subcontious skills will get you a long way & you need them in equal amounts with a good self image.

Im only passing on what is in Lanny's books & seminars, I believe there is something to it, others may see it differently & as Lanny says if your winning with what you do then you dont need to change anything, but if you dont win anything at all then perhaps its time for a re-think .....

N

Edited by neil smith

The book - "SPORTING CLAYS CONSISTENCY: YOU GOTTA BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!" arrived in double quick time so we're reading it at the moment and the other one - With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham is on the way from the US. The Amazon partner bookseller with "UK" in the name implied to me it was a shop in the UK - but no - its coming from the US. Last time I swallow that one!

Looking forward to having a good read and practice this week as we're on hols and got 2 traps set up on the farm.

Thanks to you all for your inputs.

Here is Lanny Basshams company website, mental management systems.

http://www.mentalmanagement.com/

Link to clay shooting info

http://www.mentalmanagement.com/shooting_sports.html

I have found this cd set to be very helpfull, I play it a lot.

http://www.mentalmanagement.com/a_mm_shooting_sports_cd.html

N

Edited by neil smith

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Back from half-term hols when he read his books.

He got a 84 at a CPSA registered shoot today!

Thanks for all your advice - he's really happy to see an increase in his scores.

I have no proof what contributed to this increase - it could be many things - but he tells me that reading the books really helped!!

I'm 16 and my main problem is consistency. I shoot alot better on instinct and generally kill the first pair or two no problem, but it's after that when I start thinking about what I'm doing and trying to repeat it that I muck things up big stylee.

A classic example of this was walking into the final stand out of 5 on sunday having straighted 2 stands and carded respectable scores on the others with the potential to card a new personal best. Fluffed the stand with a 6 and finished with a 41. ;) I was more annoyed about that than I was happy about being top gun but ahh well there's always next time. :yes:

FM :hmm:

Good shooting Olly. Barbury had a FITASC on Sunday, managed to card a 39 (a 21 and an 18) so pretty pleased.

You know you can kill 'em, just relax and really think about breaking that clay