major licensing problem!!static caravan

my situation far from ideal at the moment were in a static caravan while house planning on our farms being sorted out

shotgun ceritificate was granted fairly easily with cabinet bolted to welded framework

problems arised today when the same feo arivved with a female feo as well all checks were good on cabinet and as im locking my shotguns back up i hear whispering

i walked back into the room and she harps up 'phil forgot to tell you when you got your sgc that you needed to skirt all the underneath of the caravan to x thickness with marine ply.'

then here next breath was to keep rifles here i needed an alarm system thats linked to a monitoring centre which then ring me and nominated numbers. £500+++

told her i couldnt afford then she said we can have a look at your outbuilding which was totally out of the question with my sgc

i can now keep rifles and shotguns in ther but the room they are kept in has to be alarmed and linked to a monitroign centre as before

but on pricing alarms up one that rings a monitoring centre costs £500 and one that rings me and nominated others is between £200 and £300

so as the bare minimum to keep my shotguns would be to expensively marine ply skirt all the underneath of the caravan

i was wondering on your thoughts on the matter whether any people have had similiar situations

best bit got all my land cleared .22 .17hmr .222 just this alarm problem

thanks for any advice

mick

DIDNT SLEEP A WINK LAST NIGHT THINKING ABOUT LOSING MY GUNS OVER A WOMAN FEO

Edited by micksandy16

Ditch the FAC rifles in a mates cabinet. It may even be that it's the centrefire that is the problem.

Keep the shotty on site and look into their "requirements", which for just holding a shotty seem OTT.

I reckon they will calm down if you are just holding a shotty.

I would speak to BASC as well but remember it is on the feo's recomendation that you get your certificate and if you don't do the minimum to keep your shotguns then you don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting an FAC land cleared or not.

I would ask if there is an alternative to filling in around the whole caravan, like fixing a steel plate to the underside of the floor where your cabinet is bolted. Obviously the easiest way into a mobile home is through the floor as I suspect it is only plywood

have you the internet connected if so BT home monitoring is worth a look, I think all the gear costs under £200 and £5 a month for monitoring. Realistically you have to see their point statics aren't the most secure and it seems like they are trying to work with you, the ply idea wouldn't cost that much alternatively could you do it in blockwork as that should be cheaper. Otherwise as said have you relatives locally where you could mount a cabinet

Micksandy16

I don't know if you are familiar with the 2005 Home Office Security Handbook?

Below, I've extracted the relevant bits. Hopefully, maybe with some help from BASC you may be able to 'negotiate' something.

If you want to have a look at the booklet, you can download it at:

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...ms-handbook.pdf?

Mobile Homes & Static Caravan Units

2.25 The unit should be site fixed or any wheels and towing assemblies removed or disabled to

prevent its immediate removal.

2.26 Where there is doubt about the fixture, supplementary anchorage with industrial ground

anchors, locking plates or security chains should be used.

2.27 The area between the ground level and underside should either be enclosed with secure

cladding, or the area giving access to that part of the chassis securing the cabinet should be

protected to prevent unauthorised access to that area.

2.28 A cabinet to BS7558 or better, or a commercial safe should be used in dwellings of this

type. Ideally (because of the construction of some mobile homes) cabinets of heavier

construction may be warranted or a dual layer system to protect the area of installation. When

considering installing heavier cabinets or safes the load bearing capacity of these structures must

be considered.

2.29 The cabinet should be located in a position making attack on it difficult.

2.30 The cabinet should be concealed in an area which is not easily/normally accessed (eg inside

fitted lockers).

2.31 The cabinet should have the maximum number of its anchorage points attached to the

chassis of the unit. The blind heads of any fixings should be outside, with the threaded nut within

the cabinet. It may be prudent to have the fixing points welded to the chassis.

2.32 Alloy chassis require special consideration. If the structure is in doubt the provision of

bearing plates not less than 4mm thick and large enough to span several adjoining chassis

members can be fitted. Alternatively, the below method can be utilised.

2.33 Where the chassis is not substantial, a concrete pad containing securing bolts to attach to

the security device should be made underneath the unit.

2.34 Industrial ground anchors can also be adapted for this purpose. These should have a

protective enclosure to frustrate access from outside (see paragraph 2.27).

2.35 An intruder alarm should be considered the primary method of adding security to such

premises.

Regards

Andy

don't know how practical, but from reading the guidance above, it seems like a chain welded to the frame of the home or attached to a concrete pad and connected to the safe would be a nice addition. Maybe a chain attached to the cabinet and hooked to the axle of the home?

Thanks,

Rick

thanks for the advice

i rang my feo up today and explained the situation and he and she agreed that i could have a much cheaper alarm that rings me and nominated numbers directly instead of ringing a call monitoring centre who then ring me!

only trouble now is guns keeping in a good condition in an farm workshop inside the outbuilding

thanks again mick

if you are concerned about condensation (which is a nightmare in steel cabinets kept outside) try this-make sure that the cabinet is insulated from the floor with a vapour proof barrier-glue polystyrene tiles on the inside and outside to maintain a decent temperature within the cabinet-you can buy re-usable de-humidifiers from camping stores (or fleabay) that change colour when wet and can be just plugged into a mains socket for a few hours to renew them.hope this is of some help-bruno. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

bit of an update

bit the bullet and moved the cabinet into the building and installed the alarm system required awaiting the bill :good:

inspection yestaday all went well letters on the way to my mentor for the .222 and been promised licence before the cla yippppeee

cheers lads