BISLEY MEET - Rifle certification course

Ferret Master

Hello,

Those of you who have been following the ongoing proceedings regarding the Bisley Meet '09 will know we have run into a few difficulties with rifles because of new MOD legislation that means all shooters have to hold a range safety certificate in order to shoot at Bisley.

Our initial attempts to get round this by having the meet on a BASC rifle club day are not going to work. This meant it was going to be a case of members that wish to attend the meet will need to either have a range safety certificate in advance or not shoot rifles at all. :blink:

However, I have just off the phone to the SE director of the BASC and we may have a way around this. :good: There is a chance that if I can get enough people to say they will do a training course either on the Friday evening or Saturday morning that we can get one arranged so those members who don't have safety certificates could still shoot rifles providing they pass. We would book ranges through the BASC this year for those who already have certificates and then if those doing the test pass, they can then go on to shoot on these ranges too. :good: Obviously this means BASC membership is essential for the meet this year.

This means I need people to put their names down NOW if they want to do a training course so I can get numbers back to David Knowles to see how viable this option is. :D

It was also made clear that the PW card is well and truely marked in the NRA's book following the blackpowder last year and as a result I regret to announce that we will not be permitting black powder at the Bisley meet this year as it simply isn't worth the hassle. Sorry Snotty. :)

POST HERE IF YOU WANT TO DO A TRAINING COURSE WITH THE BASC AT THE BISLEY MEET PLEASE!

Cheers,

Ollie :)

Official Bisley Meet thread with everything else in is HERE

Because the MOD still train at Bisley so it is a military range. :D

FM :D

I am told the reason the MoD have brought this stupid certification in is because the danger area behind the targets is shared with the MoD ranges and can therefore enforce the same certification that is required for a civilian to shoot on a military range. There is a chance that a .308/7.62 could reach the M3 in perfect conditions and launched over the butts at the right angle (not sure if that is true but that's the scare story they give anyway). So when I questioned why then do you need to be signed off for a .22 semi-auto, but not a single shot .22 target rifle? Still waiting for an answer!

Edited by Rascal

The defence zone at bisley is shared with Pirbright, they are both still MOD camps and are subject to MOD regulations. The defence zone is not large enough to contain a .308 round if fired directly over the butts, it is only large enough to contain ricochets from within the camp.

Ask the car showroom who found a bullet in their showroom one monday morning. It is rumoured to have been a .243 from the BSRC complex.

You only do not have to have certification for a single shot .22 IF you are a paid up member of the NSRA and a member of a affiliated rifle club.

• 2 weeks later...
So it's another money making scheme then.

I wonder what the landover baptists would have to say about that then? Probably something to do woth Godless Frenchmen :good::hmm:

No not at all, it is completely free. All you need to do initially is an asessment to show you are competent. A lot of people aren't. If you then shoot as part of a club the chairman then signs you off every year.

No not at all, it is completely free. All you need to do initially is an asessment to show you are competent. A lot of people aren't. If you then shoot as part of a club the chairman then signs you off every year.

I sit corrected then. Seems a bit OTT though. So someone is assessed and isn't competent so can't shoot. So how do they get to be competent if they can't shoot? What if someone travels a shedload of miles to the meet and has a **** (not very good then) assessment because they just happen to be off on that day (it happens)? They've wasted their time and money.

Edited by DaveK

Surely if you have an off day then you are not competent?

You can shoot under one to one supervision froman RCO qualified with the type of firearm that you are using. It is a ruling by the MOD that no civilians can shoot on any MOD range. The competency certificate was the NRA's way of getting over this issue and ensuring that thousands of people can continue their chosen sport. There isn't many non MOD ranges that you can shoot out to 1200yards.

Yes you are correct they will have wasted their time and money if they have an off day and do not pass the competency asessment but to be blatently honest you really have to be a muppet not to pass the asessment.

I did an NRA asessment 3 years ago when I joined the NRA and it basically was a tour of Bisley and we were shown how to load and fire various rifles and pistols and shown what to do if you have a misfire and the safety procedures if you are shooting on your own.

Without wanting to belittle the scheme but as long as to turn up and can spell your name, and you know one end of a rifle from the other you shouldn't have any issues. And if you can't do any of the above then quite honestly you are not competent to own and use a peashooter let alone a firearm.

I believe previous figure's which I was quoted were in the region of a tenner or so mate. :good:

FM :hmm:

Which is the right answer please?