10/22 Ruger .22LR need some advice please.

webby86

I just got my firearm certificate and i am looking to buy my first .22LR.I am looking for a 10/22 Ruger self loaderas i am been told they are very good.I was just reading on another forum and they are saying that RELIABILITY is not very good.

RELIABILITY I have never had one manage over 100 round without jamming once or twice, clean or not.

On some occasions they'll jam over 10+ in 50 rounds when dirty, and it can be worse.

I do not find them quite as bad as legend would have it, but reliability varies. They do not seem prone to breaking internally.

This is the post i found and was wondering what is your opinion.What do you recoment as a first gun.

Edited by webby86

errmmm I understand why you might want a 10/22, but I would suggest that your first .22lr might be a bolt action. (CZ, Sako, Anschutz, Weirauch etc).

I own a 10/22 and whilst is is great fun.... and fabulous for my RFD (in ammo sales) its not really a serious or particularly accurate rifle. ( I have a Sako for that role)

The 10/22 is a bomb proof mass produced design but it does have faults that prevent it from being a great rifle.

1. the std barrel is not great in the accuracy stakes. There are loads of different ones avaialabel tho'.

2. the trigger in std form is agricultural, and heavy..... "-------------"-------------------"--------------

3, you cannot clean the barrel without a full strip requiring re zeroing... PITA (there is a mod that you can drill a hole in the back of the receiver tho'

4. The std stcoks arent great but are just usable. There are loads of different ones avaialabel tho'.

5. IIRC the barrel is not std screw cut 1/2UNF therefore requires a thread job to be able to use decent moderators.

On the plus side.

1. It is hugely 'pimpable' as mine now is....

2. with a bit of work and buying decent aftermarket mags it will function without missfeeds.

3. it is the most commonly available semi auto .22lr and there are loads of bits available.

4. if you really must have one there are places that wil build you a fuly pimped rifle or supply the bits..or if you're patient you can wait an buy one that hae already been done...... 2ndhand.

Edited by The Burpster

Thank you for your quick replay.My FEO recomend me to get e 10/22 Ruger self loader or a blot action.I can get from my local dealer a brand new 10/22 Ruger self loader for £280 at the moment.I will phone him and see what bolt actions he has for sale.

I have a Ruger 10/22 semi/auto & sako quad bolt action, which one do I take out most the Ruger every time, its light,fun to shoot for bunny bashing at rimfire range can group 1" at 50yrds no probs, & at £280 new get the Ruger 10/22 mate :good::oops::P

Edited by blackbird

I have the walnut deluxe model and that doesn't have the barrel band either.

It was fussy on ammo when I first had it (it didn't like remington) but now use winchester subs and like Blackbird it will do 1" groups @ 50 yards all day long and is plenty accurate enough for bunnies at sensible ranges.

I have the walnut deluxe model and that doesn't have the barrel band either.

It was fussy on ammo when I first had it (it didn't like remington) but now use winchester subs and like Blackbird it will do 1" groups @ 50 yards all day long and is plenty accurate enough for bunnies at sensible ranges.

Same mine loves Winchester subs :good::oops::P

Edited by blackbird

mine just seems to love remingtons :good:

first yellow jackets, lately ive been using target rounds to great effect at 80 yards+ :P

get a 10/22, play with it for a while, see what you think might need changed (new stock, auto bolt release, mag release, trigger, etc) and then you simply just change it, no probs :oops:

mine just seems to love remingtons :good:

first yellow jackets, lately ive been using target rounds to great effect at 80 yards+ :P

get a 10/22, play with it for a while, see what you think might need changed (new stock, auto bolt release, mag release, trigger, etc) and then you simply just change it, no probs :oops:

My first rimfire was a 10/22 and it was fine once I'd fitted the bolt release mod and a Tuffer Buffer; it ran best on Eleys after trying all rimmie ammo types I could find. I wasn't happy with the longer range accuracy so ended up with a bolt action CZ 452 Varmint, which I absolutely love - the 10/22 on rimfire ammo does accumulate crud and afer a point it starts to have problems - doesn't happen with a bolt action.

10/22 for short range and fun shooting (unless you change it with aftermarket kit so it become's Trigger's broom....) and a good bolt action for hunting and longer range work - and less to clean!

I'm not an owner of a 10/22, but I have used them and I also have a S/A 22lr.

I made the mistake of getting a s/a as my first 22lr. If I had got a bolt action and then the s/a, I'd have taken it back after about 20 rounds.

My bolt action .22lr has a feather touch trigger. (Note you'll struggle to get this with a s/a without potentially turning it into an automatic weapon)(and you can use the recoil to 'bump fire' it to act like an automatic) meaning you need a little extra pull to move that trigger on a semi auto, causing your POI will move. The other problem is that there is wasted energy when the gun cycles (and remember this makes quite a bit of noise in comparison to the click of the pin) meaning less range. Also, when you first buy the gun the action will be smooth and clean. You will start grouping the gun, then it'll get more and more dirty, causing friction and then bullets start going elsewhere... Clean the gun and you're back to how it used to be, then 200 rounds after cleaning, you're back to the dirty gun.

My bolt action cost £150 with a scope and it is frighteningly accurate.

My other reservation (Not that I think you'll do this, but I'm sure there are a few people on here that will) is that as good as it is that you can customise the 10/22 to some quite impressive looks, the "imitation fully automatic army gun" really isn't cool... I went to a range where all the guns were modded to look like sa80s and all the guys went there to do was pull the trigger as fast as they could... How sad.

Anyway, I pray you make the right choice and don't do what I did. The novelty of a semi auto will soon wear off!

Edited by harfordwmj

As 95% of my rabbit shooting is done standing using sticks the semi auto is more than accurate enough and is always ready for the second shot. The frustrating thing about shooting my .17 is that should you miss you have to cycle the bolt. The 10/22 is ready straight away.

The .22 is not the right tool for long range shooting anyway so why not have some fun at close range. I doubted buying mine when it kept jamming using remingtons but once I started using WInchesters it is great fun.

The only mod done to mine is the bolt release and that is simple. Other than that it is bog standard. The trigger is heavy compared to my Anschutz but is perfectly servicable.

I had a Ruger 10/22,I spent money upgrading the stock,trigger,bolt buffer,and a "v" block to support the barrel (12") it shot well up to 50 yds,but, then I had a new permission with ranges up to 100yds,so purchased a Cz .22lr.The 10/22 is a good rifle (or can be made into one),so the choice is yours.post-17571-1245143544.jpg