Police Dogs Die Locked In The Van

dusk2dawn

Very saddened to hear on the news this morning that two Nottingham force police dogs had been shut up in a police van and died from heatstroke, my feelings at this neglect are genuinly unprintable, the officers responsible should be held to account and dealt with as severly as possible.

There will no doubt be public outrage, the dogs must have sufferered horribly in what has been the hottest weather for some years.

Its not as though this weather suddenly appeared and caught the handler out, we have been experiencing this heatwave for quite sometime and steps should have been taken to ensure the wellbeing of the dogs, this was cruel neglect in in its worst form.

Rgds D2D.

Edited by dusk2dawn

Professional dog handlers my ****. Makes you wonder.

Having listened to the various sides debating this and the opinions aired, in hindsight while I obviously feel very sorry for the dogs I now feel that the handler must be feeling pretty low, he did not set out to deliberately harm his dogs but was never the less negligent, I think he will be thinking about this for quite some time.

Obviously he cannot continue to be employed as a dog handler and must accept this together with any other punishment.

I heard later on the news that the Police were putting out flowers in memory of the dogs..... and inviting the public to join in..... what the hecks our Police force coming to?

Rgds D2D.

its very sad but they are working dogs and as such do need to be in vehicles at times in the heat when the rest of us leave ours at home. It would be nice to know the full facts as I'm sure there will be more to it as the handlers are very close to their dogs so i'd imagine are absolutely gutted. I'd imagine it was a n unfortunate oversight of some kind and its a reminder it could happen to any of us and is a reminder it can happen

this is unbeievable these are the people were supposed to follow the example of what ever the reason there is no need for a dog to over heat in a vehicle if each vehicle is fitted with electric fans and shouldn't be left in a closed vehicle when parked up but ay there is one law for them one for the rest of us be a good one to follow this the handler should be prisoned and band from keeping animals

I believe all police dog vans have to be airconditioned and in my force they have run locks on the van so the engine can be left running without the keys in and the vehicle cannot be stolen. I dont know the circumstances of this case but cars can stall and engines can stop. There is possibly a genuine reason for this so why not wait until the full story is out before making your mind up.

I know lots of dog handlers and all of them would do anything for their dogs.

If however this is just a neglegent act then they should be prosecuted.

Harry

As above.

In my force the dog cars have leccy fans in the rear compartment. Also, all the handlers I know open the rear hatch when parked up. The dog boxes have a cage door, so is perfectly safe.

However, as said, dont know the full circs, so will wait before passing judgement. The time and effort to become a dog handler, coupled with the time to train a GP dog, I'd be surprised if something didnt go wrong. If it was pure neglect, then the book will be thrown, deservedly.

My GSP is very intolerant of extreme heat or cold.......she's in the car a fair bit, (never left), and I panic she may be too hot even with the air con on and the rear vents pointing up and over the rear seats......to the extent i've thought about getting rid of the car 'cause it doesn't seem big enough for her :look:

You'd hope the handler will be very upset, but it doesn't take Einstein to realise how quickly it gets too hot if left for just a short while.

I saw a news article stating that the two dogs were in a private vehicle and not in a police vehicle at the time, as the officer was only just arriving at work. I agree that if the officer has neglected his dogs then he should be held responsible and I am certain that he would be dealt with in the same way as any member of public. I also feel that people need to know the full circumstances of the incident before passing judgement.

I am a police officer myself and all dog handlers love their job and treat their dog's as family members. I am sure there is more to this than what we have been informed of by the press :look:

I realise that he never set out to kill the dogs,but they still died from his negligence and he should be punished regardless.In an ideal world he would at the very least be taken off canine duties with immediate effect and also be given a role with very little responsibility-like counting paper clips.Then he should be prosecuted like any other member of the public would be.

However,the cynic inside me says this matter will be brushed under the carpet and he'll be back with another dog.

I realise that he never set out to kill the dogs,but they still died from his negligence and he should be punished regardless.In an ideal world he would at the very least be taken off canine duties with immediate effect and also be given a role with very little responsibility-like counting paper clips.Then he should be prosecuted like any other member of the public would be.

However,the cynic inside me says this matter will be brushed under the carpet and he'll be back with another dog.

I think not. Police officers seem to get punished more so when they screw up then the odd balls that do so on a daily basis!!!

Anyway, if there is a job counting paper clips then I want to apply for it :lol:

Sorry folks, but dog left in a non-airconditioned van on a hot day = neglect. Everyone short of an abject retard knows how this ends. Full stop. End of. Not many circumstances I can envisage short of the ridiculous that are in any way excusable. No need to wait for the 'full story' IMO.

Bloke's a c u next tuesday end of story.

Edited by jcf1

nice to see the keyboard warriors out in force hanging someone before the facts are out. Yes they were left in a car yes they died but do you know they didn't have proper ventilation or that they were left in the shade but for longer than expected and the sun moved round. There are lots of possibilities the police handlers i know are as fanatical about their dogs as most shooting people so I can't see it being anything other than a tragic accident In that heat even in a dog box with the boot lid up it could be a problem and its a reminder to anyone who transports their dogs that it can happen in this weather. The person loosing their job actually defeats the object as its a lesson they will never forget and never do again.