does anyone do fly-fishing??

Supersonic

I got taught by a scotsman in the Falklands in the '80's and am thinking of taking it up again as I have heard that Hampshire has some good venues.

Sitting on a riverbank dangling a line for hours does nothing for me, but I found fly fishing strangely addictive.

Your advice and opinions are welcome.

Nige

I got taught by a scotsman in the Falklands in the '80's and am thinking of taking it up again as I have heard that Hampshire has some good venues.

Sitting on a riverbank dangling a line for hours does nothing for me, but I found fly fishing strangely addictive.

Nige

I don't, having done coarse, carp and sea fishing big time for years i would love to have a go, it never really held any attraction back then but now it does.

Let's hope we get lucky.

Jon.

Nige

Your doing t for your pleasure and no one else's - If you enjoy it do it, It don't cost a fortune to buy a decent setup and you can eat what you catch when you go after trout. I do it now & again and find it a nice change from bunny bashing and pigeon shooting

Some people think fly fishing is either posh,difficult or elitist. If it was,I would not be doing it as I find it simple,cheap and accesssible. Chuck a few bits in a bag and off you go. If you have a busy lifestyle its ideal as you do not need to prepare much,just a bit of decent weather. Get a few lessons casting or go with a mate at first. I have top class trout and grayling fishing for £ 25 a year,then again this is the North West.It is angling at its most basic,you cant beat being up to your butt in a river with fish rising around you.

If you have no gear, shop around both locally and online, (look in Trout Fisherman and Trout and Salmon for offers) if you know anyone who fishes ask them, you can get a rod, reel, three spools with different lines (floating, sinking and sink tip), backing and leaders on for under £150, i:e: Greys rod and reel and possibly Greys lines, other manufacturers are available, I know its a long way from you, but Fraser's at Gateshead will do you a set up like this, no doubt there's plenty of places in your area that might do you a deal.

I love fly-fishing, i was brought up on a trout farm, it`s one of the most exciting ways to fish.

We had this lake near us, that was infested with carp, from floods breaking dam walls 50 miles away, most folks i know that does fly-fishing will pull their noses up, but hooking into a carp of 20lb with a 6 weight fly-rod on a floating tube is something els.

The best tip i can give you is practice the casting, most folk get fed up with fly-fishing because they can`t get the cast right or they try to cast to far and then muck it up.

A well presented short cast is much better then a mucked up distance cast. And remember it`s all in the action, you don`t need to use a lot of power trying to cast.

And don`t forget to post your pics, especially if it`s a nice big wild brownie. :good:

Good luck!

Edited by Guinea Fowl

Guinea Fowl - you lucky so and so - brought up on a Trout Farm!!!!

I also agree about carp - I've hooked several to 12lb on a fly rod and they are fantastic - also had pike on the Fly (Tring Reservoirs are not too far from me!!)

The only thing I haven't had a chance to do is fly fishing in the sea for bass/pollack or even mackerel - I think I'd enjoy that.

Supersonic - Living in Hampshire, you are in one of the worlds fly fishing hot spots, there are lots of rivers and stillwaters around you to try - get a copy of Trout Fisherman and scour the ads at the back - they'll all have an on hand resident ready and willing to help.

Cheers

Dan73

Supersonic you have the best trout fisheries in the country around you ,i have fished the River Test as a guest and the Itchen ,Stockbridge is the only place i know where you can stand in the high street and watch brown trout swimming in the river , Heaven

I do as much as i can mainly for sea trout here in Wild Wales, but i have fished the Test & Itchen on occasions. All the advice given is smack on however some people have forgotten a word of warning. If you become addicted there is no known cure. The urge to be throwing a piece of metal and fur using a piece of carbon fibre, in all weathers can fill your waking yours, and if your sea trouter your sleeping ones to (they take best at night).

Tight LInes and good luck, come and join us addicts.

Aled

I love fly fishing and have caught many species of fish, including sea fish (overseas) on fly.

Fly fishing at sea, is easier from a boat, I have spent many frustrating hours trying to get a decent line out from beaches and rocks.

Any fish that will take a lure, will take fly.

Free fishing near you:

River Itchen, Winchester, Hampshire

Location - Fishing from left bank south of Winchester on Itchen Navigation between Blackbridge and Saint Catherine’s Lock

Species - Mixed Coarse, Game

Directions - Off B3335 south of Winchester

References - OS LR: T185, grid SU 476274

Contact - Tel: 01962 713267

and

River Itchen, Winchester, Hampshire

Location - Fishing at the weirs in city

Species - Mixed coarse and game

Directions - Off B3335 south of Town Centre

References - OS LR: T185, grid SU 477272

Contact - Tel: 01962 713267

Parking - Close by