can a neibouring farm moan if your shooting next to there live stock

munchoddy

I just got back from pigeon shooting and a bloke walking in to the field moaning that i needed a licence to shoot near live stock and house's witch i know is not true. We where a good fifty yards from his daughters horse witch is a paddock to the left of us and i have permission to be shooting in the field i was in did i have the right to shoot where i was ??? from what i have read is that as long as im fifty yards from any public hi way its ok i was at least 250 - 300 yards from a house :lol::good:

it is 50feet from the centre of a road or bridleway,all you can do is be polite even though your in the right, explain to them your doing a job etc just give them the patter plus if theres anywere further away from the horse in your field you can shoot do it next time,work with them,AS THEY COULD BE GOOD FRIENDS WITH YOUR FARMER THEN YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR SHOOT ALL TOGETHER

Edited by shotgun666

thanks thats what i was worryed about weather i was in the right or the wrong i was polite and said if it was a problem i would move on when i said to him about the 50 yards his attitude changed and he went all pally pally when to start with he said he had phoned the poilce about another situation and they told him that no one could shoot near his field under stand why his attitude changed i think he was trying to catch me out

NEXT TIME YOU GO,,, SHOOT FURTHER AWAY AND HE WILL SEE THIS AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE ANYMORE BOTHER,,,,ALWAYS WORK WITH THEM AS THEY COULD MAKE LIFE HARD FOR YOU SHOOTING THERE,,,,,,,HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF A MODERATED SHOTGUN,,,,,,IT WOULD SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS AND THE HORSE OWNER WOULD HAVE NO HASSLE

50 yards is much to close to use a shotgun when horses are about. Horses are at best highly strung animals and your shooting may cause it to panic into a fence and damage itself . If the horse is in foal it may abort. Do you want a bill for that. I had a field of beans alive with pigeons a couple of years ago that i would never shoot as there was nowhere I could shoot further than 200 yards away from the horses in the next field. Cattle and pigs are more tollerent but keep well away from horses.

i shoot beside my uncles horse all the time with a 12ga and a .22lr, doesnt bother him one bit! could be a complete one off but ive found aslong as you dont shoot too close to them to start with, after a while it doesnt bother them :rolleyes:

but, as everyone else says, better staying away if it will cause hassle...

Clay shoot I used to go to actually had the shooters flinging shot over to where the sheep were, they must've been landing on them and all.. :yes:

After the first few shots of the day the sheep would casually walk off seemingly indifferent to the prospect of raining lead, but they weren't that bothered TBH.. :good:

No idea what the legality of it was though. :rolleyes:

Was out on saturday pigeon shooting 300 metres from the neighbours farm when after shooting for about 20 mins in comes the neighbouring farm owner giving off about shot hitting the stable roof and scareing the horses and did i have permission to shoot on the land. Yes i have i replied and i am sorry and that i will move away, then all i got was what do you call the land owner do you have insurance do you want the bill for the horses if damaged :rolleyes: . At this stage the hump appeared yes have insurance, firearms licence and permission now don't push it i said i would move on. It seems to me if there are horses about you have to move on and the farmer you are trying to help also misses out, ps didn't think shot would travel that far :good:

I now know shot will travel 300yds as I was showered with some which was shot from a 20 bore at least that far away.

I was really quite surprised as I would have thought it was even further than 300 yds to be honest.

Unless you know the horses are bomb-proof when it comes to shotguns it is inadvisable to shoot near them.

GH