FAC Query. Open or closed?

George1990

I assume I have a closed certificate, as it is my first one. But the wording seems to suggest I can shoot wherever I have permission, as this is what I tried to get when I first appiled. It says:

"THE (I) .22 CZ RIFLE: SOUND MODERATOR (II) ,17HMR CZ RIFLE: SOUND MODERATOR AND AMMUNITION SHALL BE USED FOR SHOOTING (I) VERMIN (II) VERMIN/FOX: AND FOR ZEROING ON RANGES, OR LAND DEEMED SUITABLE BY THE CHIEF OFFICER OF POLICE FOR THE AREA WHERE THE LAND IS SITUATED AND OVER WHICH THE HOLDER HAS LAWFUL AUTHORITY TO SHOOT."

So I can ask the landowner if the land is cleared for the given calibres, get permission and shoot there.

I'll ring the FAO anyway before I go on new permissions, but dunno what you think.

Cheers :yes:

Land deemed suitable - Ie land youve had cleared to obtain the cert or land that has been previous cleared by the local police authority- you will need still, to notify the FEO / Police of any land you have written permission so they can check if its been cleared previously and for what calibres, is how I undestand the wording :yes:

Les :)

"THE (I) .22 CZ RIFLE: SOUND MODERATOR (II) ,17HMR CZ RIFLE: SOUND MODERATOR AND AMMUNITION SHALL BE USED FOR SHOOTING (I) VERMIN (II) VERMIN/FOX: AND FOR ZEROING ON RANGES, OR LAND DEEMED SUITABLE BY THE CHIEF OFFICER OF POLICE FOR THE AREA WHERE THE LAND IS SITUATED AND OVER WHICH THE HOLDER HAS LAWFUL AUTHORITY TO SHOOT."

Fully open would have the bit highlighted missing so you can make the decision where it is safe to shoot and not the chief constable.

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old topic.   

When I was in West Sussex. My FEO told me as long it was land that had been approved for that caliber regardless of who it had been approved for.  It meant if I had permission I was good to shoot.   

When moving to wales last year my FEO told me I had to have written permission for every piece of land I want to shoot. Logged and stored with the Police.   

The exact act same wording on both certificates.   I have no issue calling to check it is already cleared if the land owner doesn’t know.   But not all the people round here like the idea of signing something and having police visit just to let me get a few rabbits.   

1) You only need to provide one signed permission slip for one piece of land that can be passed by Police for the calibres you wish to shoot when applying for FAC.

2) If on a closed certificate any other land you shoot on you only need to check with Police that it is cleared for that calibre.

It is not enough IMO to ask the Farmer or anyone else for that matter what calibre the land is cleared for. I do this by email so that I can keep a copy of the response.

Statement  (2) does not apply if on an open cert. you are free to decide if the land is suitable.

Edited by Good shot?

34 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

1) You only need to provide one signed permission slip for one piece of land that can be passed by Police for the calibres you wish to shoot when applying for FAC.

2) If on a closed certificate any other land you shoot on you only need to check with Police that it is cleared for that calibre.

It is not enough IMO to ask the Farmer or anyone else for that matter what calibre the land is cleared for. I do this by email so that I can keep a copy of the response.

Statement  (2) does not apply if on an open cert. you are free to decide if the land is suitable.

As above. :good:

20 hours ago, danccooke said:

I know this is an old topic.   

When I was in West Sussex. My FEO told me as long it was land that had been approved for that caliber regardless of who it had been approved for.  It meant if I had permission I was good to shoot.   

When moving to wales last year my FEO told me I had to have written permission for every piece of land I want to shoot. Logged and stored with the Police.   

The exact act same wording on both certificates.   I have no issue calling to check it is already cleared if the land owner doesn’t know.   But not all the people round here like the idea of signing something and having police visit just to let me get a few rabbits.   

Your current FEO is telling you porky pies and making up the rules to suit his micro management tactics.

Never once in my nearly 60 years of shooting have I had written permission.

10 hours ago, Dekers said:

Whatever, assuming he still has a certificate, he will have been through a renewal since this was posted, so all being well the FAC will have been Opened up anyway!

My reply was in relation to dancookes post, posted 21 hours prior to mine.