hare problems

karl w

Lamping hares.... Oh dear ! I can't say 100% but i think that has been deamed to be very naughty .

Dont think so...

The Ground Game Act (as amended) and The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, appear to override the prohibition on night shooting of hares by occupiers or persons authorised under the Acts.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is now illegal to shoot Mountain Hares (Lepus timidus) at night with the aid of a lamp or image intensifier, or at any time using any semi-automatic weapon with a magazine capable of holding two or more rounds of ammunition. However, licences can be granted to allow night shooting under certain circumstances.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is if you use a semi automatic or a standard break action shotgun? Why is using a break action okay and a semi not? :ernyha:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tradition mainly, the same reason that .240 was chosen as the min deer legal calibre, it was simply becuase one of the guys incharge of the laws at that time had a .240 calibre rifle and wanted to hunt deer

its the remains of some laws that were made by men in a country that was at that point saine and human, unlike the robotic laws these days

It is concidered perfectly reasonable to shoot a Rabbit in the head with an air rifle, so why not a Hare?

Is it because they are bigger quarry and therefore take more "killing"?

To be honest this is irrelevant to me as I don't think I have hares on any of my shoots, but I do like knowing what to do in the event of a situation arising.

It is concidered perfectly reasonable to shoot a Rabbit in the head with an air rifle, so why not a Hare?

Is it because they are bigger quarry and therefore take more "killing"?

To be honest this is irrelevant to me as I don't think I have hares on any of my shoots, but I do like knowing what to do in the event of a situation arising.

dont be so sure,

untill the last year we had no hares around here, but they are arriving, and getting spoted quite regually

it may well concern you soon

personally as long as they dont do damage (which in their current numbers they dont) im happy to leave them, but eventually they will require management, and that i am also happy to do, but i would certainly use something bigger than an airgun.

as i said, hornet, great hare round or any other small centerfire

Hi again,

First of all, it is irresponsible to shoot any hares with a sub 12 ft/lbs airgun even if you are going for head shots only. They are bigger than the normal airgun quarry for sub 12 ft/lbs airguns and this means you have to make more damage to such a quarry than the normal quarry. And I personal know a thing or two about sub and high power FAC airguns and especially what they can do and not do to different airgun quarry (I am a firm believer myself in clean and instant kills ! ).

You "may" get the penetration with a sub 12 ft/lbs in .177 on hares but such a gun do not make enough damage inside to get clean kills. I have seen alot of rabbits "walk away" from a perfect head shot with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns and also seen rabbits do the same thing with perfect body shots with a 40 ft/lbs airgun.

Those who performs such "kills" are living on the edge in my opinion. You are simply living on pure luck if you get clean kills at all. Actually, I find it very hard to believe it and I do certainly not recommend anyone to perform such "kills". Besides, hares are not on "the list" for taking down with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns !!! They are classed as game instead meaning in the end that you will need a "little more" power than sub 12 ft/lbs airguns for taking them out of the game.

Cheers - Bolta

Sorry Bolta,

but I think your "talking ****" B)

I agree that an air gun isn't suitable for Hare shooting but:-

QUOTEhave seen alot of rabbits "walk away" from a perfect head shot with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns and also seen rabbits do the same thing with perfect body shots with a 40 ft/lbs airgun

Are you trying to say that a high powered air gun is not suitable for shooting Rabbits?:lol:???:ernyha:

QUOTEhares are not on "the list" for taking down with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns !!! They are classed as game instead meaning in the end that you will need a "little more" power than sub 12 ft/lbs airguns for taking them out of the game.

Where do you find "The list" ?, what list are you refering to?

How much is a "little more"?, Where do you find reference to required power levels?

:lol:

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

Can we agree to differ?

I think it fair to say that at some point everyone has "pulled a moody" in as much that they have taken a shot that was a little dodgey, or maybe gone for something that is "off the list" or "out of season".

If they have done it then the best thing to do is keep quiet about it and learn fromyour mistakes. Putting it on the forum and then ripping the a**e out of it is not really the way to go. Especially as it public domain and can be seen by any antis.

If you must argue these points then maybe taking it to private messages is the way to go.

Just my opinion (just like ****holes, everyone has one and they nearly always stink)

Oh and by the way, I think I will give hares a miss if I see them. Better to keep on the side of caution.

QUOTEhave seen alot of rabbits "walk away" from a perfect head shot with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns and also seen rabbits do the same thing with perfect body shots with a 40 ft/lbs airgun

Are you trying to say that a high powered air gun is not suitable for shooting Rabbits?:D??? :lol:

QUOTEhares are not on "the list" for taking down with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns !!! They are classed as game instead meaning in the end that you will need a "little more" power than sub 12 ft/lbs airguns for taking them out of the game.

Where do you find "The list" ?, what list are you refering to?

How much is a "little more"?, Where do you find reference to required power levels?

B)

Mark.

Hi there,

To take your first question. High power FAC airguns is certainly suitable for rabbits and the larger/tougher airgun species. The big question is more like this : is sub 12 ft/lbs airguns really up to the task for rabbits ? By this I mean do they really have the necessary power all the time for clean and instant kills, that´s the question.

I have now turned to only the use of FAC airguns in nearly all of my hunting/pest control situations - simply because they give you more safe clean kills than sub 12 ft/lbs ever will be able to do. And I can confirm quite easily that FAC airguns do kill more clean than sub guns.

"The list". By this I mean all normal airgun quarry from rats to the largest species, the rabbit. All of these species you may shoot with a sub 12 ft/lbs airgun even though that I personal (and this also incl. other airgunners) do feel that sub 12 ft/lbs airguns are a little too underpowered for rabbits. You may get clean kills with sub airguns but FAC airguns gives you a much sharper edge in killing power.

The hare is not in this category so if you think about it for a moment you will realize that you need more power to take them clean out with. The hare is larger and more tough than the rabbit.

This brings me to your last question. A "little more" means simply and clearly a least rimefire power or high power airguns around +80 ft/lbs for taking hares. You want safe clean kills on such game and not living on pure luck risking only wounding such game. That is what separate real hunters/pest controllers from people that should not be running around with a gun in their hands not knowing a **** of what they are doing !

Cheers - Bolta

• 2 weeks later...

i see what you are saying BOLTA, hares are big, tough animal. but they can be shot with an air rifle, provided you dont shoot them at silly ranges. sub 25 yards and hey can be taken with ease.

i dont know how you have deduced that rabbits shouldnt be shot with 12ft/lb though. ive shot hundreds of them and had no more runners than i have with shotguns or rimfires. when you consider how small a rabbits brain is, all you need to do is hit it and it will die. theres no need to blow it to pieces.

QUOTE "have seen alot of rabbits "walk away" from a perfect head shot with sub 12 ft/lbs airguns and also seen rabbits do the same thing with perfect body shots with a 40 ft/lbs airgun"

perhaps this is not not the guns power, but the shooters accuracy that should be questioned? :lol:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is similar to yours Paulos. I have taken many Rabbits out with clean head shots. I never go for anything less. The 'List' deems it acceptable and so does my capability in the field. Knowing your rifle and ability is the name of the game. I now regualrly shoot within a 30m range and don't have any problems as far as clean kills are concerned. I will agree that a higher power rifle will provide more stopping power over distance but that doesnt make a 12ft/lb rifle at close range any less efficient in the task.

Regards,

Axe.

Over the years I ave shot thousands of rabbits with 12Ftlbs air rifles. Never have I had a problem with head shot rabbits limping off!! I am not sure their is such a thing as a perfect body shot with an air rifle! It spoils the meat and reduces the likely hood off droping it stone dead. Not even atempted a body shot since I was a kid.

Different strokes for different fokes eh?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
My combo for Hares:

CZ 452 .22lr, bolt action.

Winchester Lazer High Velocity ammo. (DEADLY :o )

Bushnell 4 x 12 x 40mm Scope.

Max Range: 80yds.

Works for me :o .

Hi Frank, is that supersonic ammo? Must be I guess, how does it group by comparison to subsonic? There is a view that the transonic phase upsets the stability unless it[s a very fast rifling twist, in which case a jacketted bullet is needed to hold the grooves - like .22WMR, or hornet. Just wondering how you find the group size.

Evilv,

They group clover shaped groups at 50yds and half inch at 80 :D .

I find the Winchester Lazers work best in my rifle :o .

They are hard hitting and deadly accurate :o .

For Hares, they are the bussiness :D

Great for bunnys too :D .

We have an abundance of hares locally, we went out last week (.22 rim) and shot 8 in an hour, and saw at least another 20.

they are bound for the game pie at the pub.

Hope you didn't have far to walk carrying them... You'd be sick if you did. I used to shoot a lot of .22 rimfire once upon a time. Just getting back into shooting with the air rifle. Surprisingly effective for such a low power thing, but only if the shot is vey precise.

Evilv,

They group clover shaped groups at 50yds and half inch at 80 :D .

I find the Winchester Lazers work best in my rifle :o .

They are hard hitting and deadly accurate :o .

For Hares, they are the bussiness :D

Great for bunnys too :D .

Those are well tight groups Frank. With that round, and that kind of shooting, those hares are as good as in the jug when you step out of the car, boyo. I'd quite like to get back into rimfire, it's just a pity I'll have to sweat around getting land inspected all over again. I used to have an open cert for Northumbria Force Area, wish I hadn't let that go... Too much work in those days - didn't have the time.