hare problems

karl w

NEED HELP PLEASE local farmer is over run with hare's so myself and a friend have been trying to sort them out but with no luck as are pellets just dont seem to do anything to the hare's i am using a air arms s 300 in 177 and my friend is using a logan s16 in 22 we only go for head shots can any one tell what could be the problem THANKS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karl,

Me guns in its case ,plenty of ammo and the cars packed where am i coming to ! :)

Dont think an air rifle is really up to the job unless you can get in real close prob less than 25 yards with a spot on head shot.

Hairs are big tough *******!!

Cheers,

Brian...

To be honest I think your undergunned. I Use a .22 hornet for most of my Hare shooting and occasionally a .22rf or 22-250. In my younger days I did account for a few Hares with my HW97k .22 but an air gun isn't really up for the job, unless you can get down to 20 yards max and head shots only

Mark.

an airgun is not a weapon its a tool :) (not aimed at you particually cranfield, its just a term that anoys me) :)

but you are correct, a hare is too big an animal for an airgun, rimfire as a minimum, i think as mentioned above hornet would be a fine choice to control these lovely creatures

i wish we had some around my parts, apprently one was spotted on one of my foxing permssions, hopefully we can keep down fox numbers and they will mulitply :(

An airgun is not the appropriate weapon to use for shooting hares, head shots, or not.

We [bASC] recommend that you refrain from using them [airguns] on live quarry other than the following: crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons, brown rats, grey squirrels and rabbits.

that has been taken from the BASCA web site on "airgun code of practise" full version can be seen ........

all the quarry on that list is classified as VERMIN.

HERE

****deleted stupid remark***** HARES ARE CLASSED AS PESTS

and as you say your having problems grouping with your S300 in a previouse post i would seriously consider NOT taking it to the fields until you have the accuracy problem sorted out!!!!!

ROB

Edited by roblade

Do DEFRA state anywhere what gun you can use?

might want to check out the legality of shooting hares with any form of rifle or gun, you may find they are still on the protected speicies list.

Not around here they aren't! they can be a real problem in some areas.

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

it dosnt I just seem to rember hearing or reading they were on the no no list.

think it would be a good idea to check it out though, to find out for sure if they are or are not.

just did a quick search of google and i stand corrected :( (well nobodys right all the time :) ....but i do my best LOL)

HARES ARE CLASSED AS PESTS!

ROB :)

Edited by roblade

Hares are not PROTECTED - but they are Game, and you need a game licence to shoot them .

You can get one from the Post Office - but they run from 1st August to 31st July - so now would be a dumb time to get one. They cannot be post dated.

And I agree with the others - don't use an airgun on them.

Badsworth

Even with .22 rimfire you need hollow points to kill a hare cleanly with anything other than a good headshot. Unfortunately, I discoverd this from practical experience. That's a 40 grain bullet travelling at 1090 fps, and they'll still lope off unless it's a hollow point. Unless the creature is within ten yards and you can wack it between the eyes and ear, don't even think about it.

I shoot on a farm where there are about twenty hares, but they are like pets to the farmer. Consequently, I regularly find them sitting until I'm literally right on top of them.

I went out for a drive last night. With my shotgun, lamp and labrador and took out 23 rabbits and 2 hares. Took 3 hours around to do - no wind and a thunderstorm looming.

Hares are a problem if they are causing damage. Otherwise, I would leave them alone and yes, they are big tough *******. Good eating though...

RTD

Guest Mr Pieman

Leave the hares alone :) They are magical, mystical creatures and if you shoot them you will be cursed................................... :)

PP

Edited by Mr Pieman

Hi,

PLAIN STUPIDITY to take hares with a sub 12 ft/lbs airgun and this also goes for a 30 ft/lbs FAC airgun. They DO NOT have the power for clean kills on hares.

If anyone want to shoot hares with airguns then either get a heavy power big bore airgun or at least get an airgun around 80 ft/lbs or more in .22, .25 or higher calibre. With such airgun you shouldn´t have any problems with penetration plus you will get enough expansion of the pellet/bullet to get the clean kill.

Cheers - Bolta

To all those saying shooting a hare with 12 ftlbs is abhorent cruel unsporting etc please clarify why because when i have shot them with .177 out to 40m they drop stone dead. granted thats head shots every time but in my opinion if you cant acheive a head shot every time at 40m then stick to paper until you can. For those doubters next time you get a hare with a body shot!! place it out at 40m put somthing behind its head such as paper to show penetration and see how you get on.

If you have a more apropriate weapon great but not every one is that lucky to have a huge arsenal at their disposal. Personaly I have other options available to me but as a youngster it was the trusty air rifle. I dont think it makes me a bad person.

Personally, I think it makes you a very bad person :ernyha: Or are you just living up to your handle? Not everyone who shoots is that great a shot and I'm willing to bet YOU don't hit the mark every time so you shouldn't encourage others to try for it. It's like those ten gallon hat boys on here who claim to shoot deer at 300m etc, it ain't necessary, it shows a distinct lack of fieldcraft and it's bloody dangerous. I still say an airgun isn't the right tool for this particular job.

I went out for a drive last night. With my shotgun, lamp and labrador and took out 23 rabbits and 2 hares. Took 3 hours around to do - no wind and a thunderstorm looming.

Hares are a problem if they are causing damage. Otherwise, I would leave them alone and yes, they are big tough *******. Good eating though...

RTD

Lamping hares.... Oh dear ! I can't say 100% but i think that has been deamed to be very naughty .

Take a peek here .. http://www.basc.org.uk/content/lampingpractice

all the best yis yp :ernyha:

I fully beleive that if you cant get a head shot every time in practice at 40m you should not be shooting. I dont beleive this to be an extrodinary feet of riflemanship. At nearly 60 my old man can still hit the eye 99 out of 100 times at 40m now that is somthing a bit special. To my mind dead is dead and if you are confident you can guarantee that you have shown your quarey respect that it deserves!!

Dave