Best 4x4 for 17yr old

DomM

as title looking for a pratical 4x4 that i can use for my shooting, going to college in and just generall use! i was looking at a defender because i know you can get good insurance on one but doesnt seem very practical for all the uses! any help or advise would be much appriciated!! cheers!

I drove a Ford Maverick 2.4 petrol for a month before the french thing arrived. It was N reg and clapped out but the insurance was only 1k a year compared to the 1.2K its costing me now for a new car with half the motor!

Worth a look if you can find an old one. But I will warn you.... After learning in a nice Corsa/Polo/Astra/Micra, driving a 'real' car that handles like a boat and actually pulls when you put your boot down, doesn't have ABS and starts to rattle after 60 is very scary when you don't have much experience. I was pooing it on a daily basis driving the ford.

well aware of the capabilities of the jimny. But much like the Mazda MX-5 is an amazing drivers car, it doesn't stop you looking like a pussy while you drive one :yes:

X2

Landrover defender registerd as a van and that you are not going to leave tools in it :mad:

at 17 you're going to struggle to afford to run most of the suggestions so far, if you want to actually go anywhere then a defender will cripple you financially. The Jimney though a tad ghey is the best suggestion, cheap to insure cheap to tax and good mpg as well as being reliable. off road it'll stay with the best so ideal for a young driver

1,sj 413 cheap to insure etc, and is the best 4x4 out of the box,

2, vitara 1.6 also very good but a tad more on the insurance front for a 17year old.

3, jimny as above but still just a 1300 cc motor, but not as good as the others off road with out tinkering with it.

failing all the above, try a quad ??

bob.

• 1 month later...
i turned 17 in july and i have got a defender 90, insurance cost me £900 on my own policy and its very practical apart from the cost of diesel!

my sister got her car insured on my parents policy and got 60%off and Because shes a girl she also gets 20% off!!!!!