Magnet speed

Cosd

OK, so now I am confident the magnet works; Used mine many times but could not see the benefit. I just couldn't seem to place it right and couldn't get the woodies to come in. Last few outings I believe I have have nailed the positioning using different decoy patterns. The birds are definitely being drawn in. My speed settings though are more luck than judgement

What determines the correct speed setting? Surely it can't be one setting for all occasions :yes:

What's the secret guys?

Obviously the machine will spin a lot faster with foam decoys or hypaflaps on it (so much lighter) and a lot slower with dead birds (so much heavier).

My non scientific rule of thumb, is that the dead bird speed is the right one.

Using a speed controller, I drop the speed down when I use hypaflaps.

Another thing I have done is increased the length of the rotary arms, using a bit of light channel.

This tends to make the lighter decoys appear to, or actually, go slower.

I prefer slower, rather than faster, but I noticed on a recent Topgunners video that his rotary was whipping round and he shot a load of birds that day.

So nothing is certain and if the birds don't seem to like fast, then slow it down, or vice versa.

but I noticed on a recent Topgunners video that his rotary was whipping round and he shot a load of birds that day.

So nothing is certain and if the birds don't seem to like fast, then slow it down, or vice versa.

That was Stealth Stalkers rotary... Even I commented that it was a tad bonkers..

I prefer the slow - natural look.

Works for him mind.

Are you setting the magnet up in sunlight and the birds are seeing the arms shining ? I find camo tape will cure this problem. The other thing worth trying is to keep the magnet between your hide and the decoys. The pigeons pick up the movement of the magnet , but as they come closer change their attention to the decoys. I like my magnet fairly fast with dead birds. I rarely find them effective when going slowly.

Edited by anser2

I prefer a faster spin speed using quite a long arm, it works well for me.

Make sure you're not putting the magnet too far from the hide, it should be 15 - 20 yards away MAX.

Time and again I've watched guys shooting with the magnet miles from the hide, net result is that birds are coming in behind the magnet, then veering off at 40 yards plus, making for an impossibly difficult shot.

Cat.

Are you setting the magnet up in sunlight and the birds are seeing the arms shining ? I find camo tape will cure this problem. The other thing worth trying is to keep the magnet between your hide and the decoys. The pigeons pick up the movement of the magnet , but as they come closer change their attention to the decoys. I like my magnet fairly fast with dead birds. I rarely find them effective when going slowly.

i agree with anser2, i much prefer the magnet to be spinning flat out, and generally position it between the hide and the deeks, sometimes i have actually put the magnet behind me to draw the birds in close enough, they seem tom focus on the magnet when a good way off then pick up the deeks as they get closer, i have covered every moving part in camo tape to stop the sun glinting of it as it spins

mikee