Best deer calibre

CollioureII

Been discussed to death, suggest you go out with a few people and try their rifles, sako 85 6.5 x 55 for me but as there are so many different rifles and calibres in use I would suggest its a personal choice at the end of the day between .243 6.5x55 and 308

Doc

PS get synthetic wood is great but the synthetics are so easy to maintain and I have seen so many wooden stocks warp

Do a search. Then buy a Sako in .270 or .30-06. Anything else is a woman's gun.

Well I had umpteen posts before I bought my .223 rifle...I must have been posting up stuff for 6 mths before I made a choice...I finally went with T3 lite with fixed S&B 8*56 (H) with wildcat mod. I'm glad I put research into it as my .223 as it is wicked accurate and I'm v happy with it.....so the stalking rifle choice could even be longer

Was out with a friend in kerry 2 weeks ago....he nailed a stag just under 200 yards.....he was using a 7mm (can't remember brand was expensive was american gun but not a remmington and was totally rust resistant).

But he was using a sheperd scrope...v diff from anything I have seen, you could zero it from one shot and the reticle at aiming points from 100 yards to 1000 yards with a series of circles in the reticle which allowed you to range in the target from just looking through the scope...if the middle og the deer fitted into to circle you were at the correct elavation for bullet drop. Seemed to work very well as he had one shot and one kill

Well, I think you are all dreadful discussing which gun you should use to kill a poor defenseless bambi with.

However, there is only one answer and that is to grasp a Swede by the ankles, twirl him round and launch him towards the deer, Bob's (or should I say Swede's) your uncle the deer is dead. Can't go wrong with a Swede.

Sorta what he said!

I've just sold a CZ in 308 as I didn't get on with it, the balance and fit just wasn't there for me. So I thought I'd do some digging into a replacement - get something a bit different, since I reload now so what the hell. I went round and round, and settled back on .308. 243 and upwards works - get the right bullet and put it in the right place, deer falls over.

308 for me gives a good blend of punch, flat trajectory and availability - it ain't broke, why fix it?

Well, I think you are all dreadful discussing which gun you should use to kill a poor defenseless bambi with.

However, there is only one answer and that is to grasp a Swede by the ankles, twirl him round and launch him towards the deer, Bob's (or should I say Swede's) your uncle the deer is dead. Can't go wrong with a Swede.

What caliber of Swede are we talking about here? <_<

Going to invest in a stalking gun....may I ask people's views on the best calibre for deer....I can start thinking on a brand then..already have T3 Lite in .223...so thinking of spending maybe €3-4K....maybe Sako / Steyr

I have found that during buchering a few deer i have noticed that the larger slower bullets like .30 do far less meat damage than the faster bullets from .22 -.243, may be worth bearing this in mind, you also have the rifle for anything larger. I personaly went for 30.06 probably a bit OTT, but my choice, origanaly bought for Wild boar. .30 cal's give you the choice of about the largest range of bullet weights to choose from 110 grn to 220grn.

Another thing to think about is the actual weight of the rifle combo, stalking with 10lb plus of rifle, scope, mod plus is no joke, then even the weight of your shot Deer

dougy