Best deer calibre

CollioureII

There is a reason that most professionals will use a .243 good for any species of deer. Flat shooting, pretty fast, lots of factory ammunition available and a lot of secondhand rifles around in .243 as well. :lol:

ok we'll let you off the couple of typos - we know you really mean

7mm

There is a reason that most professionals will use a .243 good for any species of deer. Flat shooting, pretty fast, lots of factory ammunition available and a lot of secondhand rifles around in .243 as well. :lol:

The professional stalkers and keepers that I know all, to a man, avoid the .243. Two use .30-06s (one an Ackley), two use .308s, one swears by his .25-06 and the other won't part with his .280. All of them offer much more than the 100gr spat from a .243. Norfolk sees some of the heftiest reds, and certainly some of the biggest fallow in the UK, and consequently I gave up on the .243 very quickly for day-to-day work. I'm a fine shot, but bigger bullets kill things quicker.

now i'm no expert on rifles, calibers, ammo etc, ive got a .243 as it was the only caliber my FEO would grant as a novice, ive not shot any deer with it yet although i have been out for a few stalks, ive had a couple of deer in the cross hairs but didnt shoot, 1 was a big stag in a thick wood and i didnt know how i would get him out or maybe even find him so i let him go, the other was a munty doe who only presented a head on shot so i let her go,

i have however done quite a bit of practicing with it, when i can talk the FEO round i will get a bigger caliber, i just get the feeling that for bigger deer it may not have the drop on the spot power of something with a bigger, heavier and slower bullet, i know that bullet placement is the key but that isnt as easy in the field on sticks or against a tree as it is at the range with a stable shooting position and no adrenalin.

After having a go with Harnsers .308, i think that is probably the way i will go, recoil didnt seem too much even though i had to shoot it a bit cack handed to get the correct eye relief, Harnser i know you wont like this part, but i will put a mod on it :lol:, i recently had a few shots with a mates unmodded .270, JESUS what a banger that is, recoil was bearable as it fitted nicely, but the racket it made, it seemed to echo through the wood for ages

mikee

I have to say that I like what Baldrick says when these questions come up. I want it dead right there. We all know you can shoot most deer with a 243 or even a 223, well placed, blah, blah, blah... but ALL AROUND means ALL AROUND. .270 at least, .30-06, (I swore the next custom rifle I built up would be either a .280 Ackley or a .30-06 Ackley). But for the average guy who doesn't load, I think the 130 grain .270, or 180 grain .30-06 and you can call it good.

And for God's sake, shoot good bullets. Everyone has a preference, but it is so easy now to get a good bullet in factory ammo. Remington sells both Swift Scirocco and A-Frames in loaded ammo, and Federal has Bear Claws in almost any caliber.

Interesting, here in the Basque country, the .35 Whelen, my favorite, is very popular with the driven boar shooters, and I never knew why until I figured out that alot of the Basques who left for America (Wyoming and Montana in particular) and returned to France, brought them back after seeing the effectiveness on elk in the Rockies.

Pete

Pete, I would love a .35 Whelen. It is pretty much the ideal calibre for Europe and Plains game. Sadly my FEO gets rather jittery when when we discuss calibres larger than .30", that are not for dedicated use in Africa.

Mungler, my answer to your question is, and will remain, '.30-06'. Although I love my .270 and .308, if there's the capacity to go up to 220gr, why not take it? I am not a target shooter interested in the minutiae of internal ballistics. I just want 'bang-flop' performance on the hill/in the woods, and the .30-06 does that with aplomb. A .30-06 Ackley is better still, and the .35 Whelen the mutt's nuts...

Edited by Baldrick

I have been watching this thread with great interest and a big grin reading Fister's posts.

A question for those in the know - if you could have but 1 calibre to include deer and boar (ignore the boar .270 min for the UK) which calibre would you chose and consider "do all".

I may not be as you say "in the know" but the 30.06 can and does pack some serious clout. it does the job its intended for, and prety well

Remind me November time about the 19th i'll let you have a go :yes: i'll load some 220s for you :):lol:

I am still trying to work out which shooter to bring. I picked up a .44 Marlin underlever yesterday in the Roding Armoury and it was in good nick, no scope rail and £350.

Interesting place that shop - got some fairly bespoke stuff in there rifle wise and it's the only shop in a 100 mile radius that had any .25-06 in stock.

Mung... Was it a .44 Marlin you got or a .444? If it was the .444 then nice one, they're very nice guns. If it was a .44mag you're a girl, change it for a .444 :yes:

They don't kick that badly (the .444). I quite like it as a calibre. If it was a little more flat shooting I'd trade my 6.5x55 for one, I like them that much! It is a bit punchy but the animal at the sharp end isn't going to run far!

If I could only have one gun? That's a tough one. I'd have to go big (makes up for other things you know) :)

When I finally get my .300 Win Mag I'll let you know. If it's comfortable to shoot then it seems like a good choice. It can be home loaded to shoot like a .308 but can also offer more power for almost any animal on the planet. OK it's a bit small for anything dangerous but it would probably do the job at a push. It's also non military so acceptable everywhere.

I really wish it would hurry up and get here. I want to go out and bash some bunnies :yes:

Had a 6.5x55, now got a .30-06 and had a little nosey in my local dealer and saw a brand new never used Tikka 695 Contenetial .270. Semi heavy barrel and beaver tail forend. Looks and feels a nice gun and not too heavy, 81/4LB.

Managed to pick it up for less than £600 with some Norma 110g A Max bullets so we see how well that kills deer.

Had a 6.5x55, now got a .30-06 and had a little nosey in my local dealer and saw a brand new never used Tikka 695 Contenetial .270. Semi heavy barrel and beaver tail forend. Looks and feels a nice gun and not too heavy, 81/4LB.

Managed to pick it up for less than £600 with some Norma 110g A Max bullets so we see how well that kills deer.

Nice!

One rifle for all :lol: there is no way I would get drawn into this one. However --

I have taken everything from fox to reds with a .243 loaded with 58g to 95g for fox and 100g for all deer up to reds out to 200yds. I have never had any problems with the .243 other than the crack without a mod, but I'll have to agree with Harnser and state that my .308 is my all time favourite.

In my humble opinion, the finest all round calibre for the UK, if you could only have one rifle. Abundant ammo that is reasonably priced and most .308 rifles are not too fussy on what they eat. Flat it may not be but accurate it definitely is, it will drop anything out to 300yds, which is a very long way, and much further than 99% of what you will ever shoot at in your average shooting life.

If you homeload it is great fun and even cheaper, so for me it is the .308 Winchester. Mind you I am definitely bias being an ex 7.62 fanatic (The weapon of choice for competition biathlon 38 years ago).