NEW COUNTRYFILE

smig4373

How does everyone feel about the change in format to Countryfile....Now,I know that in recent years it's turned abit politically correct and not really been for the farmers and country workers....But the new format of Matt Baker and Whats'a'face doesnt seem right at all....It just seems like an activity catalogue for youngsters who only frequent the countryside at the weekend....And changing it to sunday night..tut tut...I did use to enjoy my fry up watching John Craven....Any thoughts?:yes:

Edited by smig4373

I think it is absolute cack, showing every element of bias that I have come to expect from the BBC. Julia Bradbury has not a single rural bone in her scrawny body. Matt Baker is from farming stock, so he's excused the bullet. Adam Henson is not a particularly good representation of a farmer (or farming tenant), but he's good enough.

I therefore spend most of the hour shouting at the TV when Countryfile is on, cursing the inaccuracies and shouting at the mindless, Guardian-tainted drivel.

I think it is absolute cack, showing every element of bias that I have come to expect from the BBC. Julia Bradbury has not a single rural bone in her scrawny body. Matt Baker is from farming stock, so he's excused the bullet. Adam Henson is not a particularly good representation of a farmer (or farming tenant), but he's good enough.

I therefore spend most of the hour shouting at the TV when Countryfile is on, cursing the inaccuracies and shouting at the mindless, Guardian-tainted drivel.

Well said.....They said on sundays show that game-keepers and shooters were responsible for the trapping and poisoning birds of prey...Now this may be true...might not be...but the BBC shouldn't have just taken the RSPB'S word for it.Where was the evidence.....where was the otherside of the argument...,The BBC should have shown an unbiased view....I'm with you baldrick...Makes my blood boil...

Edited by smig4373

Edward, I agree wholeheartedly. I am sure that Adam Henson is sound fellow, off-screen. However, he plays up the pitiful "I'm a tenant farmer" line a little too much for me, and some of his reports/anecdotes have been plainly ridiculous and of very dubious accuracy. I also doubt he's a capable farmer, having spread himself rather thinly across various enterprises. Irrespective of my personal views, he's the best abassador British farming has on the screen at present.

John Craven would be first up against the wall come the revolution.

I have to admit i do like the new coutryfile time as I work sundays and it means I can sit down in the evening and watch something that isn't X-Sh***e or somethiing else of equal quality with my son. However Adam and his farm does annoy me as its not really representive of British farming. He has two many fingers in too many pies. Farmers cant all breed rare breeds or selll there grain to artisan bakers. They should be addressing real problems in farms like the the price of milk not covering the production price.

I think Adam on his own makes the hole show a bit weak.

How does everyone feel about the change in format to Countryfile....Now,I know that in recent years it's turned abit politically correct and not really been for the farmers and country workers....But the new format of Matt Baker and Whats'a'face doesnt seem right at all....It just seems like an activity catalogue for youngsters who only frequent the countryside at the weekend....And changing it to sunday night..tut tut...I did use to enjoy my fry up watching John Craven....Any thoughts?:P

I'm with you smig. I used to enjoy watching it while having a relaxing sunday morning brekky of some discription or other. Now all that's on is those annoying self important ***** on BBC2's Something for the weekend. Something for the weekend? I always thought that was Barbers slang for a rubber jonny. Oh! Hang on! I see the connection now :hmm:<_<

I thought this was the time of year when you farmers were running about like madmen trying to cash in on all your hard graft for the rest of the years work. So why aren't you out digging yer spuds or turnips then Balders? I have to agree with you about that Adam Henson. He gets on my wick a tad. He also reminds of the UK's version of Richie Cunningham.

I thought this was the time of year when you farmers were running about like madmen trying to cash in on all your hard graft for the rest of the years work. So why aren't you out digging yer spuds or turnips then Balders? I have to agree with you about that Adam Henson. He gets on my wick a tad. He also reminds of the UK's version of Richie Cunningham.

Capable farmers running a tight ship can afford to take an hour off at 1900h each Sunday, for the '60-Minute Hate' that is Countryfile... It gives them something to stew about for the week ahead.

Capable farmers running a tight ship can afford to take an hour off at 1900h each Sunday, for the '60-Minute Hate' that is Countryfile... It gives them something to stew about for the week ahead.

There's not nearly enough oligarchical collectivism on TV these days, Baldrick. I hear Emmanuel Goldstein is being tipped to replace young Henson.

LS

There's not nearly enough oligarchical collectivism on TV these days, Baldrick. I hear Emmanuel Goldstein is being tipped to replace young Henson.

LS

Doubleplusgood. I knew that would draw you out of the woodwork, Comrade...

Stuart, Julia Bradbury is a ropey old hag, and a tofu-munching Islington resident at that. However, despite my utter loathing of her, it's the Countryfile research team that is the source of the rot. They set the blinkered tone and turn out the shoddy research that the programme oozes from every pore.

Edited by Baldrick

Some bits are indeed dire. And I too shouted at the bit blaming gamekeepers for all raptor deaths. But at least we now have a prime time programme on a proper channel that might at least teach some of the the townie numpties that milk comes from cows, wheat comes from fields, pigs don't really talk, and lovely tasty lamb chops comes from the cute fluffy white things they saw once out of a train window.

Never understimate the breathtaking ignorance of the average urban youth, the staggering inadequacy of their education or the rare privilege that most on this forum enjoy every time we spend an few hours with rifle and shotgun in the British countryside.

You are all mistaking the purpose of "Countryfile:" it's not "Farming Today" but a Larkrise/Darling buds costu-soap surrogate - only cheaper. The 7pm Sunday slot is prime Songs of Praise/Antiques Roadshow country - both programmes known for their hard-hitting factual reporting...

Bring back Jack Hargreaves & Old Country.

You are all mistaking the purpose of "Countryfile:" it's not "Farming Today" but a Larkrise/Darling buds costu-soap surrogate - only cheaper. The 7pm Sunday slot is prime Songs of Praise/Antiques Roadshow country - both programmes known for their hard-hitting factual reporting...

Bring back Jack Hargreaves & Old Country.

Unfortunately "Farming Today" has also gone down the countryfile route. I had to listen to some drivel from a bunny cuddler on there the other week who seemed to think that letting youngsters fire shotguns would turn them all into kitten torturing serial killers. They are more concened about their adopted beehive than the state of the rural economy these days.

'Farming Today' will rot one's brain - every horny-handed son of the soil knows that. It has the potential to be a superb and informative programme, but bias towards the charities and Labour taint everything. I suppose it is a small consolation that FT at least attracts some of the heavyweights in farming (e.g. the NFU Chairman, Peter Kendall), most of whom give Countryfile a wide berth.

Robin Page, the 'vocal yokel', is the one chap most that farmers want reinstated to the radio/TV schedules.