road kill deer how much is it worth?

bicykillgaz

hi guys need some help and preferably today

my wife rang me on her way to work to tell me she had just passed a roe on the side of the road looking quite dead, so i grabbed a selection of knifes and a big fishing bag and stuffed it all into a smaller bag and set off on my bike (i don't drive) to look for it after about 25-30mins i found it, i whipped the guts out so it would fold and fit into my big bag and as i went to set off on my bike i found my front tyre was punchered so i began the long journey home on foot with deer and bike.

i've just finished butchering it as best i could i did it as if it was just a big rabbit not sure if it was right or wrong but it's done now, just need to finish washing it all. the back end is pretty damaged but still a lot of salvagable meat.

i would really appreciate if anyone could tell me roughly what sort of price to ask for when i offer it to the butchers round here or if you yourself would like to take it off my hands how much would you offer? if you pm me ill call you if you have questions or want to arrange collection

gary

Edited by gazgainsborough

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly it may have been injured, put down by a vet and awaiting collection. If this is the case and the vet used Immobilon the meat will be poisonous as this drug is deadly to humans. Vets should mark carcuses but don't always.

If you didn't kill it or see it killed, don't eat it.

it definately got hit by something big and fast as the stomach had split from the impact and spread it on the road. :blink:

it was still on the road when i got there at about 9:10am my wife passed it about 8:30 and my brother goes the same way to work at just before 6 but no sign of it then.

i don't like venison unfortunately but been a bit of a ray mears fan it's been an ambition of mine to butcher a deer and been redundant thought i mights get a few quid for it it's wifes birthday at end of the month so it would have been nice to get a bit of cash.

it's a good idea about trying it on neighbours cat if it dies ill give all the ones on my street some too :blink:

If the stomach is split the carcas will be contaminated by the contents. Being a ruminant the deers stomach contains all you favourite bugs, the most common being ecoli.

As for giving it to the neigbours cat, they would eat it and go for a sleep (which they would do anyway so you would be non the wiser) and it would not have the same harmfull effect it would on you.

there was a bit or Irony in that LW as I can't believe what I'm reading on here. Was the carcass even warm when you got to it?

Even if it was though with a split stomache I wouldn't even feed it to my dog, if you insist on cooking it I'd suggest about 10 minutes per lb in the microwave first and then stew well to make sure you've got rid of everything harmfull. Of course this isn't recommended if you have false teeth

Hi as an ex slaughterman : 1 it hasnt been bled properly:2 bust guts can seriously taint at best and can poison the meat:3 my advice its the same as fallen stock from a knackers yard and unfit for human comsumption, but hey you did well considering the state it was in but id simply just get rid isnt worth maybe becomming seriously ill or making others ill regards neil

Lets be honest here, deer was ALMOST certainley normal before being bowled over by white van man and you could feed your dogs with no problem, but you just dont know, as mentioned above it may have been put down by vet hence may be dangerous for human consumption, not sure about dogs but wouldnt have thought it would do them any good.

doc