road kill deer how much is it worth?

bicykillgaz

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to have your DSC 1 to sell venison legally and I think then you can only sell to game dealers or is that just scotland? I wouldnt eat the parts contaminated with the gut contents i.e. the dark green substance taints the meat. I dont think a butcher would buy it anyway considering the circumstances, but the game dealer usually gives me around £2 -£2.30 a kilo for venison depending on species of deer. A decent size roe will get maximum 40-50 quid there the blokes who put the price up to extortion levels.

your joking! i've walked about 5-6 miles with it on my back pushing a bike with a flat tyre your gonna make a grown man cry.

i thought they only culled mainly sick or old deer anyway?

to my untrained eye it looked to be in good shape other than the obvious <_<

And therein lies the nub, if you are untrained you won't be able to recognise any of the diseases found in deer up to and including anthrax, short answer your carcase is worth nothing and if you can find a butcher who will take it off you without your large game handling certificate number I would be very surprised

Lets be honest here, deer was ALMOST certainley normal before being bowled over by white van man and you could feed your dogs with no problem, but you just dont know, as mentioned above it may have been put down by vet hence may be dangerous for human consumption, not sure about dogs but wouldnt have thought it would do them any good.

doc

I resent the implication that us white van men are all looking for our next target "lol"

Had a muntjack walk out infront of my van last thursday right under my bonnet and still managed to swerve brake and miss it.!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

Freeze it and not bin it! This country wastes so much of good food!

Cooking should destroy any harmful bacterias and you could research on the Vet bit. I don't think they use poison. Perhaps Fentanyl which is like a strong version of morphine, but then you need to look into this bit! Try google search or wikipedia...

Freeze it and not bin it! This country wastes so much of good food!

Cooking should destroy any harmful bacterias and you could research on the Vet bit. I don't think they use poison. Perhaps Fentanyl which is like a strong version of morphine, but then you need to look into this bit! Try google search or wikipedia...

What we use is Pentobarbital or Somulose (some-you-lose!).

Both would make you very ill if you were to eat the meat. Depending how much and what bit of the animal you ate would depend on the effects.

Most vets get called out to euthanase deer have no means of transporting the body, usually that is the responsibility of the local authority or the police and the vet is acting on behalf of the person calling them out (often the police). There have been cases of people eating these injected deer.

My role stops when I have relived the suffering of the sick animal. If the police/LA were not already involved I would notify them, but it then becomes there responsibility. If in the mean time you chose to take it home and eat it then it really is a form of natural selection.......

This is the main reason I got my FAC!

But surely any vet would tag a euthanised deer as such? Must be pretty high up the irresponsible list if they left an unmarked carcasse next to the road?

Used to eat a fair bit of roadkill. Always common sense prevailed with deer. Freshness and damage were the key factors, the deer I picked up were always ones I had either seen hit or were ones which were not there an hour before when I passed the same spot. A deer which had been hit anywhere across the middle or rump was not worth bothering with those which had been hit front end were always fine. Quite a few the only damage was a broken nose and a dislocated neck! I will even admit taking one to the gamedealers many years ago when I was an impoverished student and did not know any better, got 45 quid for it.

im gonna sound retarded now i've never fixed a puncher in my life i think that'll be more of a challenge than the deer!

it wasn't on the A15 im gutted i've got a puncher though two in one day would have been awsome!

Puncher? So to add to everything else the deer hit you :yes: I thought it was dead :P

Ah, i'm with you now.....puncture!

And is it April 1st already :lol: