Chimney Liner

sishyplops

has anyone ever had the CICO system done on their chimney? we have wrecked our 904 grade liner in 7 yrs as we have used smokeless fuel, it had a 25 yr Guarantee but is only valid if you have your chimney swept twice a year which of course we haven't like many people i guess, we were advised by our chimney sweep who we trust implicitly that we should go for the CICO system which infills the chimney with special cement, a tube is passed down the chimney and inflated to 6" then it is filled with this cement stuff and the liner deflated and removed, sounds like a great idea but we were quoted £180 per metre to do it, for a 9"x9" chimney stack, unfortunately our chimney is 10 metre high and its an old house so the chimney is more like 30" x 15" just wondered if anyone has had it done as don't want to fit another liner at £1300 and wreck that one too.

I thought you just used long lengths of stainless steel 6" dia tubing and it lasts for ever just stick a brush up it every now and then but unless you use wet wood it should not fur up I live in a bungalow that has the 6" s/s tubing and after about eight years I decided to splash out on a proper brush but when I used it there was no soot to remove a wast of money getting that brush.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

It's the tars and acids from damp wood that wreck liners quickly, not smokeless fuel.

we don't burn wood, only smokeless coal (or anthracite whatever its called) chimney sweep says he has seen 20 this year alone all with the same problem all burning smokeless as it burns very hot for very long time, ie overnight

edited as either me or predictaspell cant spell

Edited by sishyplops

Is this the type of liner that you are talking about if so I can see that it would not last long as I have a bungalow the chimney is straight not bent so we have solid s/s tubing much more durable than flexie would be I used mostly smokeless coal with the odd logs when I could get some at the rite price.

http://www.knight-stoves.co.uk/flex.htm

Look up fluesystems, fittings you can reuse if you already have a liner as they will be fine, but their top spec multifuel liner is 24.99 a meter. Last time I bought the fittings as well they were pretty reasonable using a pot hanger and just the liner to solid pipe connector

Let me know where you can get 10 meters of flue liner with all the fittings for £250 and I'll be round with a lorry to stock up.

this any good £239 kit 2 @ 10m ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Flue-Liner-Installation-Kits-For-Wood-Burning-Stoves-5-125mm-6-150mm-/140733821045?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&var=&hash=item20c463b075

we had the chap come out who fitted it in the first place although he was the labourer at the time, he is speaking to the original supplier to see what they say as he was gob smacked it had failed after 7 yrs, particularly as we burned wood for 4 yrs before switching to smokeless.

a lot of the 904 grade liners are £100 per metre but if they only last 7 yrs we will fit a cheaper on, al;so the chimney is straight up with no bends so I don't know why the original chap put a flexible in, surely a straight one would be better?