SGC to view a gun

Taylor01

only time ive been asked was at an aution, guns where ina seperate room and we had yo show our license to egt into the room which is fair enough.

i have heard of this going on and although a pain i can understand why... but on the other hand talk to the person its not always that difficult to judge if their messing with you... my first visit to one gun shop near me was just after i'd aplied and had my visit. the people in the shop couldnt have been any better let me look at all the guns, even unlocking some for me to have a nsoe at even though i told them i wasnt interested in buying it as it was a 410 and didnt want one... and funilly enough now 2 years later i own a 410

Doesnt seem too unreasonable, as how would you buy without?

In most places I might buy a gun, they seem to know me well enough from rifle and shotgun ammo purchases - show them once and that will be enough. I have been asked at the Midland.

Good point Will, I never thought of asking at the time. I just offered my military ID and asked if that would do and they said no it needs to be a SGC. Like I said they did not seem that helpful anyway from the minute I walked into the shop and if I'm going to hand over £1500 I would expect them to pretend to be friendly! There's plenty other shops out there.

I've never been asked for a cert when I've wanted to view any rifle or shotgun, and I've been in more than my fair share of gun shops, personally if I got asked for it just to look at a gun I'd go else where and buy it, just another example of bad attitude in the gun trade !

I'd be pretty peed off if I got asked to show my driving licence to sit in a car at a dealership.

The sad thing is that an RFD out there has missed out on selling a whoppingly expensive gun to someone they assumed didn't have a licence. You can never tell that the bloke in a full tracksuit and looking like an idiot is actually a multi millionaire.

Whilst I'm sure OP is well spoken/kept, the RFD will probably waive the licence rule on the basis of someone turning up looking like a country fat cat.

How do you think this discussion would be going if a random bloke had walked into a gunshop and asked to hold a gun. Imagine he batted the member of staff in the face with the butt and made off with the gun.

I'd have thought we could all wind our necks in a little bit and show our cert if asked politely. There is no reason not to be shown a gun whilst waiting for your SGC to land (or if its at home) but engage in some discussion.

I suspect if I turned up in a Porche dealership in a boilersuit and wellies they wouldn't let me drive a car.

I suspect if I turned up in a Porche dealership in a boilersuit and wellies they wouldn't let me drive a car.

Well that pretty much proves why you should never judge a book by its cover.

I think I'd like to turn up to a Porsche garage in my tracksuit, looking like I just rolled out of bed, because I'd be happy that the person who sold me the car didn't judge me the second I walked through the door.

Asking someone to show their cert to pick up an unloaded shotgun, in the company of a gunshop owner, is petty to say the least. I'd rather be the person to say 'very funny mate, out you get' than to assume they aren't going to buy it.

So are you implying that someone with a new, but undelivered driving licence shouldn't be allowed to sit in a dealership car? By all means, they could punch the salesman in the face, grab the keys and smash through the showroom window... What about chefs knives? Does the person need to wear a hat, or look like they are a busy mother? I bet you could do a lot more damage with a knife in the supermarket, than with an unloaded shotgun in a gunshop!

Edited by Billy.

Hi

Can't honestly see a problem here responsible shop owner who dosent know you not a unreasonable request

We don't know his experiences in the past so please stand in his shoes

After all we are frequently asking for ID before selling alcohol or cigarettes

And obviously before we let a meter reader into the house

This is why ID cards and licences are issued

Anyway just my thoughts on it

All the best

Of

Hi, could anyone please tell me is it normal to be asked for your SGC to look at shotguns at the local RFD store. I was looking to purchase a gun and informed by shop owner I could not hold one (to feel fit) unless I showed him my SGC!

Does he stand out side telling the people with a gun slip over their shoulder who are coming in to get a gun repaired/sell/worked on

to show there sgc before stepping in the premises!!

Granted it could be a ploy to weed out the people who just want to hold a gun...sweaty hands and knocking a gun would be more of a concern.....

TEH