300 AAC blackout questions

I'm looking for a new foxing rifle, found an AR in a local gun shop but it's in 300 AAC blackout (was originally thinking of going 223/5.56). I've done some research and it seems like a great round and as it was originally thought up by the us army to be used with a moderator I'm assuming it's fairly quiet? and being a 7.62 head I'm guessing it will be fairly punchy? Has any one got any experience with it? Is it easily available to buy? Is it very pricey?

I have a single shot Handi Rifle in 300aac, very quiet with subsonic and a decent mod on it or capable of shoving 110gr jacketed at around 2400fps. There are quite a few AR15 builds for sale but most are silly money (Lantac springs to mind) have a word with Mark Bradley or Wayne at North West Custom.

Some useful cartridge/load info here, http://www.nosler.com/300-aac-blackout

Or here,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103575967/300%20Sub%20Sonic.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103575967/300%20Super%20Sonic.pdf

Edited by phaedra1106

It seems like Remington are the only company to be producing any ammunition for it? So I'm guessing home loading is a must? There are diagrams on the SAMMI website which means there will no doubt be more factory ammo to follow? but the last thing I want to do is spend loads on a gun and then find I can't get hold of cases/ factory ammo.

Matt

Apart from Remington, Hornady and Barnes (off the top of my head) I'm sure there are a lot more factory ammunition manufacturers. Availability here in the UK may be scarce but reloading is so much cheaper I'd never buy factory for mine anyway.

Even if you can't find factory ammo the 300aac case is simply a 223 or 222 (so no problem finding those!) cut down in length then shoved through a full length sizing die, trimmed to length and chamfered same as any other case, I have at least a couple of hundred of them lying about, very cheap and very, very easy to make.

As a rough guide my sub-sonic rounds cost me under £15/100 using very good 165gr cast boolits, supersonic are under £33/100 using Nosler 168gr Custom Competition jacketed.

It will shoot a 200-230gr bullet subsonic with an ME around 500ftlbs or a 120gr at 23-2400fps at around 14-1500ftlb so plenty of power/velocity/noise level options.

If you do decide it's not for you PM me the gunshop details and price etc please :)

Edited by phaedra1106

http://www.acpshooting.co.uk here is a link to the shops website, they do all sorts of custom bits I think it was up for about £1400 but not too sure, I'll be looking at getting 2 uppers for an AR one in 556 and one in 300 blackout to save on buying 2 guns so it's not for me. I may be in touch about some loading info if that's ok? I think it's a perfect round for the NV setup I've been planning!

Matt

sorry I am struggling to think of a reason why it would make a good fox round?

Is the noise such a problem?

what distance are you expecting to shoot foxes?

I ask as a heavy subsonic round has a rainbow trajectory and would require very accurate ranging at the further end of its range capabilities

I also see the ricochet problem

I get the big and heavy argument

I get the super quiet argument - I personally use a .22lr when noise is such an issue

going on a rough estimate of 1000fps on the 200gr option above

you are looking at:

50yds +4" (thats a missed headshot at 50yds aiming dead on!)

100yds 0"

125yds -5.5"

150yds -14"

175yds -24"

200yds -36"

sounds fun but you may as well throw bricks at them if you want big and heavy

You can download any centrefire to be subsonic

Know someone who uses a .243 loaded with bluedot and 100gr bullets for shooting foxes in a graveyard.

never more than 50-60yds though