Crow Bashing

Zetter

Hi All

One of permissions is a bit of a wash out for the pigeons at the moment as there is a distinct lack of any strong flight lines over the areas I can shoot. However there are hell of a lot of crows all over the shop.

Now the farmer wants them gone and I have never decoyed crows before with a shotgun so I am throwing my arms out to the PW massive for some advice on the best ways to go and what I need kit wise on top of my usual pigeon bashing gear.

I have spotted a couple of likely decoying sites near some popular sitty trees on the edge of a wood but this is new ground to me

Cheers in advance

Neil

I use six crow FUD's + 1 full bodied decoy (adding dead birds to the pattern) + primus crow caller ( You tube has plenty crow calling "lessons" many not too good but it gives you some ideas).

The FUD colours seemed somewhat blue to me so I sprayed all decoys with car bar matt black.

When I have shot a crow I lie one face down, beak in the ground and wings fully spread out as wide as possible. Seems to increase their curiosity and works for me.

A good hide is essential as crows are far more wily than pigeons.

Bob

A hide with a roof on it. They see the very slightest movement so dont move a muscle untill in rang or they will be gone in a flash. I've shot hundreds of rooks, crows and jackdaws and tried many ways to decoy them.

As others have said a few full boddied decoys set out into the wind. A crow caller helps but is not essential. I use half choke with 32g 5s which knock them down well.

one tip would be, don't leave any dead ones out upside down as it will scare off most of any birds comming in. Have fun

Cheers for the advice everyone I now know what extra kit to get I will keep the decoys low to 6x full bodied and invest in some steath camo netting off A1 as well to boost my hide camo. I do have a leaf suit and face mask so I guess its a good idea to wear these in the hide as well?

Cheers Neil

A good wind is better than a still day for decoying crows, and a roof on your hide would be a benefit.

++1

both of the above points will serve you well , when im crow shooting I always have a roof over the top ......... always

Edited by stevo

Someone's mentioned it already but the primus crow caller is really good. Was out on Wednesday and after about an hour there wasn't much about, I used the caller and didn't even have time to put it down before the first one came over. They just kept coming after that. Definetly worth the investment.