Decoys For Magnets

Fudge40

I'm looking for some of your opinions on decoys to go on the end of my magnets,

I currently have the proflap flapping decoys that I got from A1, (they have been good)

over the weekend the wings on one of them have been bend out of shape while in the Shed somehow.

Now I'm thinking this could be the opportunity to look around at the other types of decoys out there but theirs so many any comments about the others would be grateful.

I'm looking for some of your opinions on decoys to go on the end of my magnets,

I currently have the proflap flapping decoys that I got from A1, (they have been good)

over the weekend the wings on one of them have been bend out of shape while in the Shed somehow.

Now I'm thinking this could be the opportunity to look around at the other types of decoys out there but theirs so many any comments about the others would be grateful.

I use dead birds on a cradle....these come out of the freezer ready to go, I change them for a couple of nice birds about every 3-4 outings.

I lay them back carefully in the freezer at the end of the days shooting so when they come out they are in the right shape..

Quite simple....however as in most of the shooting house holds the wife's seems to dictate what goes in the freezer, so a good idea goes to waste.........

TEH

I made my own.

Full bodied decoys with jack pyke wing sets painted up to look like pigeon wings (in my view the colours of the standard wing sets do not look like wood pigeons!) To fix them to the rotary I bent standard wing spreaders to match the body contour, the screw end facing to the rear and held in place with cable ties, and I drilled a hole under the tail to take the rotary arm.

You can also mount them on 18" rods as Angels / Landers and also as floaters.

They do not flap. But then, neither do dead birds.

Edited by Bobba

I have used hypaflaps for years and very rarely use real ,I made a realy lightweight rotary running on 6 volt and can use 1 or 2 arms on it to suit the hypaflaps.

I don't hold the opinion that they are better or a match for real birds but not far short of it and the saving on weight when walking a long ways to me is worth the difference.

I made my own.

Full bodied decoys with jack pyke wing sets painted up to look like pigeon wings (in my view the colours of the standard wing sets do not look like wood pigeons!) To fix them to the rotary I bent standard wing spreaders to match the body contour, the screw end facing to the rear and held in place with cable ties, and I drilled a hole under the tail to take the rotary arm.

You can also mount them on 18" rods as Angels / Landers and also as floaters.

They do not flap. But then, neither do dead birds.

How I fix the dead birds in my cradles is behind the knuckle and after the wing had unthawed the flight feather half of the wing is not fixed so is free to move, with the rotation and any wind makes that part of the wing move quite a lot....

TEH

I use dried dead birds. Remove breasts, then remove all innards and dry remaining flesh with borax. Leave for a month and then preserved as long as you keep dry. They last well IF you look after them. Benefit of looking like fresh dead birds but much lighter so magnet batteries last much longer.

I use dried dead birds. Remove breasts, then remove all innards and dry remaining flesh with borax. Leave for a month and then preserved as long as you keep dry. They last well IF you look after them. Benefit of looking like fresh dead birds but much lighter so magnet batteries last much longer.

Hi Sam

Excuse my ignorance (I'm new to PW) but what is Borax. I'm intrigued with drying real birds as decoys.

Hi Sam

Excuse my ignorance (I'm new to PW) but what is Borax. I'm intrigued with drying real birds as decoys.

Borax is an alkaline salt (Sodium Tetraborate). It is a fairly safe chemical...a mild irritant similar to washing powder. Not readily available but can buy cheap online from intralabs. It is used to preserve skins similar principle to salting meat. It absorbs the moisture out and stops mould or bacteria growing. If you remove as much meat as possible from bird, dry with tissues and then stuff with borax the birds dry out over a month. Benefit of much lighter than fresh dead birds so only needs a smaller battery so keeps the kit lighter. I freeze birds first to kill off any mites that might keep feeding on the feathers/skin if not killed off by the borax.

• 2 weeks later...