Spotting fake Breitling watch

lexikia

Going to treat myself to a Breitling watch, not too expensive, around £1500, second hand.

Seen one on fleabay that looks genuine and seems to have all the paper work receipts etc. Any one any idea how to spot a fake?

Googled it but seems there a some very good copies out there. Even have embossed logo's on cases.

Is there any way to prove the watch is genuine?

Cheers Mark

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a breitling replica I had for sale on here a few weeks ago but it got pulled as members can't sell fakes apparently. My boss who has a collection of 30k worth of breitlings looked at it and said the only way he could tell it wasn't genuine was that all breitlings have a tint of colour to the glass which mine didn't have but everything else was really well made.

He also said that the quality of the fakes are very good so you have to be very careful. Buy from a reputable place or agree to meet the seller at a jewellers of your choice and pay to have it appraised. Put a picture up when you do get one. Personally I love the navitimers.

I have seen my fare share of fakes working out in the Middle East. I am on my second genuine Breitling and have to say I have yet to see the fake that has made me believe its a real one. I'm not saying they don't exist but even the really good fakes have tell tales. weight, strap quality, movement, glass, logo, font. Join one of the watch forums and ask for advise if you are concerned and they might help you out.

Bottom line is if you are buying second hand get one from a reputable dealer someone like https://www.swisswatchtrader.co.uk/ or http://www.mgrayluxurywatches.co.uk/ They won't sell something that is in the least bit dodgy. Clearly it will be more than your average Ebayer though.

Out of curiosity which model, how old, what condition and how much is he after? Does he have full box and all the correct paperwork including a receipt from a Breitling dealer? If you want to send me the link I will give you my 2p's worth? If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is to good to be true ;-) Might even be genuine but stolen!!!

Serial number and check with breitling?

could they not fake the serial number? trust me iv seen loads of fakes both good and bad and can tell you they are always noticeable as fakes even the good ones you cant fake good quality craftsmanship the cases are the main give away also the winder is often not cast as well as it should be. best thing is to check theres pictures of the inside there usualy is of the legit ones.

I have seen my fare share of fakes working out in the Middle East. I am on my second genuine Breitling and have to say I have yet to see the fake that has made me believe its a real one. I'm not saying they don't exist but even the really good fakes have tell tales. weight, strap quality, movement, glass, logo, font. Join one of the watch forums and ask for advise if you are concerned and they might help you out.

Bottom line is if you are buying second hand get one from a reputable dealer someone like https://www.swisswatchtrader.co.uk/ or http://www.mgrayluxurywatches.co.uk/ They won't sell something that is in the least bit dodgy. Clearly it will be more than your average Ebayer though.

Out of curiosity which model, how old, what condition and how much is he after? Does he have full box and all the correct paperwork including a receipt from a Breitling dealer? If you want to send me the link I will give you my 2p's worth? If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is to good to be true ;-) Might even be genuine but stolen!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171508426640?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any advice appreciated

He says he has original receipt and what jeweller he purchased it from

Don't go there!!!

I have a Rolex and bought a copy of it some years ago which was very very good,nothing stopping me putting the fake in the original box along with the paper work.

Go to a reputable dealer and you will probably get a similar deal and be able to sleep at night.

Atb

Fielddweller

But Fielddweller if you look at his advert he also has the certificate from Breitling, yes it can be faked. But its good going to have the correct serial and bracelet number on the paperwork, supported by an original sales receipt from a reputable dealer that confirms the numbers ;-0

If all the above is in fact intact and you can confirm it is legit by checking all the numbers I would be happy its legit. As I say first impressions of the photos are that its spot on. BUT those photos might not be of the watch being sold ;-)

I would only buy if he allows face to face transaction, and I might even suggest if the original shop is close by that you visit there with it??

Back again! I don't like his lack of history on Ebay!! However he is offering cash on collection and even better he is allowing you to pay by credit card ;-) ok 2.5% charge but that brings with it protection I believe. If its the model you are after I would say go for it, but its not my money lol

But Fielddweller if you look at his advert he also has the certificate from Breitling, yes it can be faked. But its good going to have the correct serial and bracelet number on the paperwork, supported by an original sales receipt from a reputable dealer that confirms the numbers ;-0

If all the above is in fact intact and you can confirm it is legit by checking all the numbers I would be happy its legit. As I say first impressions of the photos are that its spot on. BUT those photos might not be of the watch being sold ;-)

I would only buy if he allows face to face transaction, and I might even suggest if the original shop is close by that you visit there with it??

Fair comment

I am not upto date with prices but for peace of mind would it be much more from a jewellers?

Atb

Fielddweller

F

I would say a decent 2nd hand dealer would be looking for about 600-800 more depending on age and condition. A bit of a guess though, but I reckon its a decent price for it. Probably a bit over what you would expect for a trade in price on it.

I was very tempted to trade in my Super Avenger for this last week!! https://www.swisswatchtrader.co.uk/watches/breitling/chronomat_44_gmt_ab042011/ However the constant threat of divorce suddenly makes it cost even more!!!!

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!! IGNORE ALL PREVIOUS ADVICE BY ME!!! He is well dodgy now that one has popped up!!

Edited by m3vert

I would say a decent 2nd hand dealer would be looking for about 600-800 more depending on age and condition. A bit of a guess though, but I reckon its a decent price for it. Probably a bit over what you would expect for a trade in price on it.

I was very tempted to trade in my Super Avenger for this last week!! https://www.swisswatchtrader.co.uk/watches/breitling/chronomat_44_gmt_ab042011/ However the constant threat of divorce suddenly makes it cost even more!!!!

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!! IGNORE ALL PREVIOUS ADVICE BY ME!!! He is well dodgy now that one has popped up!!

Thanks for advice, will look around reputable jewellers. Cheers Mark

Also just checked and it appears (and I might be wrong) that the place he said he bought them "new" Mark Worthington Jeweler, appear to be a second hand dealer, therefore would not have sold a new watch but a second hand one.

Seriously drop a line to the lad that owns Swiss Watch Trader (he is also on Facebook) and tell him what you are after, your budget and he will tell you if your being realistic! Good luck and feel free to drop a PM when you find what you are after.

For the record I think the photos he is using in his advert are of genuine watches, he just most likely doesn't own them lol