Sudden deafness

Markt3815

Starting to get worried now , been claying this morning with my 2 yr old cocker , got back at dinner time to find she can't here my voice commands nor the whistle but hand signals are fine she seems to have gone deaf she's been around gun noise all her life so scratching my head hard at the minute , anyone experienced this or in the know cheers

If she has been around gun noise all her life then , she could well go deaf , they are no different in that respect to us humans .

I really cant see why anyone would want to take a dog clay shooting , there are few dogs if any that do not suffer hearing wise if they are shot over a great deal , therefore I would protect them from unnecessary gunfire where possible , which clay shooting is.

Hopefully her hearing will recover a bit over the next day or two.

I really don't get why people take dogs clay shooting it's pointless with a dog that is trained to the gun. Hopefully it's not long term damage with a young dog

I agree.

My auld lad is stone deaf after 12 years of hard shooting.Looking back if i knew i would have taken more care to keep him that wee bit away and taking to clays is pretty pointless imo,esp as its usually bang after bang.

I am in agreement that taking a dog clay shooting is pointless but even with that being the case, a two year old dog exhibiting sudden deafness is not to my mind a symptom of being shot over at a clay ground.

I think it will be mostly a temporary thing , get a big clay shoot going on and there is a awful lot of shooting going on , probably just dulled her senses a bit .

I am in agreement that taking a dog clay shooting is pointless but even with that being the case, a two year old dog exhibiting sudden deafness is not to my mind a symptom of being shot over at a clay ground.

I think a visit to the vet tomorrow would be in order.

Dogs at clay shoots also can get very grumpy as

they get the gun fire but no work to do. I've seen

them get very frustrated by the whole experience.

I took my Cocker to a clay shoot twice when he was a pup

too get him used to gun fire. From a distance to start with.

Then closer when he was ok with it.

When you take a dog clay shooting they can experience 50 to 100 shots at close range in a very short period of time. When out game shooting you are lucky if you shoot a fraction off that and your dog is often out flushing away from the worst of the noise unless you are in a hide. The deafness can be temporary or permanent from this amount of exposure.

We occasionally take our dogs to the clay ground and they wear Mutt Muffs then. We got ours from Hopkins gunsmiths at Sandbach.

If the worst comes to it and your dog is permanently deaf it can be retrained to a remote controlled vibrating collar for commands, but I hope this will not be needed.

When you take a dog clay shooting they can experience 50 to 100 shots at close range in a very short period of time. When out game shooting you are lucky if you shoot a fraction off that and your dog is often out flushing away from the worst of the noise unless you are in a hide. The deafness can be temporary or permanent from this amount of exposure.

We occasionally take our dogs to the clay ground and they wear Mutt Muffs then. We got ours from Hopkins gunsmiths at Sandbach.

If the worst comes to it and your dog is permanently deaf it can be retrained to a remote controlled vibrating collar for commands, but I hope this will not be needed.

50 to 100 you should visit some of the shoots in Ruthin never mind your 50 to 100 shots it sounds more like the guns of navarone I take it all there dogs are deaf. Edited by E.w.

It doesn't matter weather it's a clay shoot , sat in a hide or on a peg all gun dogs are subject to close noise , I just wondered if any one had experienced it aswell , after doing some further research on gundog forums its a common thing and dogs can lose there hearing from 24hrs to a week , she's got the vets tonight so we'll see what he says .

It doesn't matter weather it's a clay shoot , sat in a hide or on a peg all gun dogs are subject to close noise , I just wondered if any one had experienced it aswell , after doing some further research on gundog forums its a common thing and dogs can lose there hearing from 24hrs to a week , she's got the vets tonight so we'll see what he says .

I think what we are trying to say is , if your dog is a working dog it is likely to suffer hearing loss to some extent or anothe during its lifetime , it can then be difficult toi control the dog .

So if your dog is your pigeon / game / wildfowling companion why on earth put its hearing at even more risk by taking it to a clay ground where it is not needed in any way shape or form .

I think what we are trying to say is , if your dog is a working dog it is likely to suffer hearing loss to some extent or anothe during its lifetime , it can then be difficult toi control the dog .

So if your dog is your pigeon / game / wildfowling companion why on earth put its hearing at even more risk by taking it to a clay ground where it is not needed in any way shape or form .

Exactly, its a constant noise and unlike anything the dog would experience in the field. Try an hour on a clay ground with no ear defenders and it's not nice.

In this case it does sound like something else as well but it's really not a good idea to take them claying

Just back from vets , he said he'd doubt very much instant deafness from gun shot noise , gave her an anti inflammatory and an antibiotic jab said come back in a week if no better for camera in her ears under anesthetic but should be back by then as is most likely to have traumatised the ear drums , I can only wait and worry

At my wits end about it pal that dogs my life I just hope it comes back ..

try not to worry I can assure you if the vet thought there was something worse he would have looked further and of course made you pay for it. All will be fine as time is the best cure.

Regards.

Hope your dog gets better soon mate,there's nothing worse than worrying about your best friend..

I have had my fair share with my cone head..

Oh yes just look on sporting pictures and it's ok to shoot 200 pigeons with your dog but it's not ok to shoot a few clays half of the people on here are a bit quick to judge other's in my opinion .

ATB

Neil

Edited by Guest