A flight on the ouse wash

fenboy

I was invited for a flight on the ouse washes this morning by Muncher off the forum.

We met up at the arranged time and was soon at the wash , Jules ( muncher) decided that our best chance for some action was to shoot the river as most of the washes were frozen over and he had some info from a friend that a lot of wigeon were seen grazing the river bank the previous day.

With the duck getting rather decoy shy this time of year he elected just to put 5 out in the river on a mother line .

The hide was soon up and we waited for the action to start , a couple of shots further up the washes told us the duck were on the move and it was not long before we had our first chance as a pack of widgeon headed our way , we saluted them with a few shots and they carried on without a feather ruffled .

Jules had the next chance but on pulling the trigger he got a click instead of a bang , something that happened on another 3 or 4 occasions :sad1: they were eley lightning that had previously got wet and they clearly did not like it , I tried one in my gun with the same result so we knew for certain it was the cartridges rather than gun .

We missed another chance or two and its fair to say neither of us were shooting our best though most chances were high and fast , we did have two or three decoy which were dealt with efficiently and both shot some nice ones .

Jules dog Millie did some sterling work while mine disgraced me by twice crossing the river for a retrieve and refusing to come back across

So much training to be done once this season is done and dusted .

We finished with a nice bag of 9 widgeon 2 teal and a unlucky pigeon .

Thanks for the invite Jules a very enjoyable flight .

DSC_0153_zpsafe0ccac.jpg

Edited by fenboy

Excellent bag of duck , both you and " muncher " done well in the icy conditions , as for your dog, hes still young and he done well going across the river and like you say, you know what he can do and what he needs more time spent on what he cant or wont do .

Yes I will be working on his faults in the closed season , not sure what went wrong this time as he is confident enough in the water , in fact he retrieved the first one I dropped in the middle of the river no problem , just the ones that I dropped over the river caused problems , unfortunately when they are one side of a river and you are the other there is very little you can do to correct the situation and its rather embarrassing when your with someone else :blush: its very frustrating as he is capable of doing it all perfectly well when he is in the mood .

your learning .lol

I dont think I have ever given a exact location for anything I have shot on here , I have a few people who I will share what I know with as they will me .

I am happy to point other people that ask in the right direction (not that I know a lot ! ) without serving things up on a plate for them , on this occasion I was shooting as a guest and I don't think giving the location away would be the right way to treat the person who has taken me out .

I was invited for a flight on the ouse washes this morning by Muncher off the forum.

We met up at the arranged time and was soon at the wash , Jules ( muncher) decided that our best chance for some action was to shoot the river as most of the washes were frozen over and he had some info from a friend that a lot of wigeon were seen grazing the river bank the previous day.

With the duck getting rather decoy shy this time of year he elected just to put 5 out in the river on a mother line .

The hide was soon up and we waited for the action to start , a couple of shots further up the washes told us the duck were on the move and it was not long before we had our first chance as a pack of widgeon headed our way , we saluted them with a few shots and they carried on without a feather ruffled .

Jules had the next chance but on pulling the trigger he got a click instead of a bang , something that happened on another 3 or 4 occasions :sad1: they were eley lightning that had previously got wet and they clearly did not like it , I tried one in my gun with the same result so we knew for certain it was the cartridges rather than gun .

We missed another chance or two and its fair to say neither of us were shooting our best though most chances were high and fast , we did have two or three decoy which were dealt with efficiently and both shot some nice ones .

Jules dog Millie did some sterling work while mine disgraced me by twice crossing the river for a retrieve and refusing to come back across

Your welcome glad you had a good time, I enjoyed the hobnobs ,you forgot to mention Milo bringing the decoys back in mid flight.

Edited by muncher

Your welcome glad you had a good time, I enjoyed the hobnobs ,you forgot to mention Milo bringing the decoys back in mid flight.

Oh yeah I had forgot about that little gem , at least he brought them to our side of the river rather than sitting on the far bank with them :lol: