Which clubs

muncher

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holbeach also offer new inexperienced members 6 trips fully guided by experienced members. Obviously you are experienced and if you proved that on the application you could go it alone but it's good to go with someone initially to find some of the better/safer places.

Officially we cannot guide anyone so I will correct myself and use the correct wording. The new member would be assisted in the time period to see if they have enough experience to go alone. (thanks for the heads up mate).

I'd have just thought it would have been abit of common courtesy to let us know that members of another club where using washes.

l would have thought that would be south lincs wildfowers business and not anyone else's.

I am a member of south lincs wildfowers , and i have to say it's a great club to be in . I've had lots of help from washwildfowler . He has has helped me get my first geese this season also Ducks and that's in my first season . This next season I'm going to rejoing south lincs . Then Gedney drove end also . So that will give me from the river neane round to Wainfleet marsh . You can claim one of your BASC subs back to make it even cheaper, I've not got alot of experience but wanted to have a say what bit i do is down to ww and phil.

I believe one day all the wash group clubs will integrate. Maybe not in the near future but in time I think it will happen. I see no wrong in sharing what we have, morally or not. We need to be prepared as we already know we are being monitored and watched from many angles. United we stand decided we fall.

Matt. Maybe if you care to attend the agm it could be a question for the committee to answer rather than on here. I'm sure there is a any other business written in the agenda.

Is that the one Mat did not attend last year :lol:

The members select the commitee to act in its best interests , we may or may not agree with what they do but they should be left to get on with the job .

I am sure if they had to communicate every bit of interclub corispondence to every member it would soon become a expensive business and subs would have to rise (paper and stamps cost money)

If it was not for these commitee members on these various clubs then chances are we would soon see some of them dissapear .

I would put up for commitee myself but hear the pay is not great :)

I believe one day all the wash group clubs will integrate. Maybe not in the near future but in time I think it will happen. I see no wrong in sharing what we have, morally or not. We need to be prepared as we already know we are being monitored and watched from many angles. United we stand decided we fall.

I dont think that would be a bad thing , we could be a more super club than the Kent super club :lol:

l would have thought that would be south lincs wildfowers business and not anyone else's.

I am a member of south lincs wildfowers , and i have to say it's a great club to be in . I've had lots of help from washwildfowler . He has has helped me get my first geese this season also Ducks and that's in my first season . This next season I'm going to rejoing south lincs . Then Gedney drove end also . So that will give me from the river neane round to Wainfleet marsh . You can claim one of your BASC subs back to make it even cheaper, I've not got alot of experience but wanted to have a say what bit i do is down to ww and phil.

If South Lincs are using washes that are part of the Earith wash group, then it is the buisness of the Earith wash group, so its all the member clubs business!

Is that the one Mat did not attend last year :lol:

The members select the commitee to act in its best interests , we may or may not agree with what they do but they should be left to get on with the job .

I am sure if they had to communicate every bit of interclub corispondence to every member it would soon become a expensive business and subs would have to rise (paper and stamps cost money)

If it was not for these commitee members on these various clubs then chances are we would soon see some of them dissapear .

I would put up for commitee myself but hear the pay is not great :)

I dont think that would be a bad thing , we could be a more super club than the Kent super club :lol:

Yes the one that i couldnt attend as i was still at work when it started!

I'd have just thought it would have been abit of common courtesy to let us know that members of another club where using washes.

Mat, south lincs is in control of it's own shooting Not any other club.. our aim as a committe & club is to provide shooting for our members as all other clubs do .

If it is that much of a concern for you mat, it's best to get in contact with your club secretary and ask the question ..

Or i could contact them to let them know your concern for you ...

Edited by washwildfowler

I do belive there once was a brave man who suggested this at a big meeting a few years back , iv'e never seen or heard anything of him since that cold long Night lol..

Officially we cannot guide anyone so I will correct myself and use the correct wording. The new member would be assisted in the time period to see if they have enough experience to go alone. (thanks for the heads up mate).

You do a Great job in mentoring new members Graham , with little if any help from others , if it was not for the likes of you and I helping new members i think we would have less members in our clubs .

Some try and love it , some try it and it's not for them , we try to educate them, you can see it in the ones that will suceed because they ask all the right qustions and listen and want to learn .and there's who think they know it all after a few flights .

I always say there's those who want to be educated , then there's those who refuse to be educated ..

Your dead right WW, without guys like you and Graham , there would be less people entering the sport , I know you have both been a tremendous help to me in my first two seasons with good advice when asked for and knowledge shared , I hope to one day be at a level where I can start doing similar , because if something is all take and no give it will sooner or later die.

Thanks WW I know we both do our bit for the sport and for those coming into it as novices. I always think a little knowledge is dangerous. Much rather help some who admits to knowing naff all. I can live with a thousand and one questions. The only stupid one is the one not asked. I'm by no means an expert but over the few years I've been shooting the wash. ..I think I started around 1980 ish ...I've learned a bit. Thankfully I'm still learning. I try to pass on some of that to those willing to listen. I've also met some who know better too. Thankfully they seem to disappear as quick as they come.

There used to be a quote in Shooting Times that stuck in my mind...The wild life of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after.

WW. Hopefully some of those we have lent a hand to over the years will do the same to help future generations.

I already have next seasons novice booked in. I know this one will be good.

Your dead right WW, without guys like you and Graham , there would be less people entering the sport , I know you have both been a tremendous help to me in my first two seasons with good advice when asked for and knowledge shared , I hope to one day be at a level where I can start doing similar , because if something is all take and no give it will sooner or later die.

Thanks WW I know we both do our bit for the sport and for those coming into it as novices. I always think a little knowledge is dangerous. Much rather help some who admits to knowing naff all. I can live with a thousand and one questions. The only stupid one is the one not asked. I'm by no means an expert but over the few years I've been shooting the wash. ..I think I started around 1980 ish ...I've learned a bit. Thankfully I'm still learning. I try to pass on some of that to those willing to listen. I've also met some who know better too. Thankfully they seem to disappear as quick as they come.

There used to be a quote in Shooting Times that stuck in my mind...The wild life of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after.

WW. Hopefully some of those we have lent a hand to over the years will do the same to help future generations.

I already have next seasons novice booked in. I know this one will be good.

Hi " fenboy " and " ayano2 .....Would you say there are more, or less people taking up our sport by the members leaving or joining your clubs ?

According to B A S C, membership is increasing each year but I don't think any of the local clubs have a waiting list and if there is I know it wont be very long .

Without going into club details I think there is about 10% drop out , and about the same amount join , more so when we have good numbers of geese about like this year , so this year could see a increase in membership .

Hi marsh man , I think most of the wash clubs have vacancies , as you know I have not been fowling too long so could not really tell you how many drop outs the clubs tend to get , a few I.

would imagine ,

I went into it with my eyes open as what to expect , but if people join thinking they are going to put plenty in the game bag without having to put much effort in then chances are they are going to be disappointed and are more likely to drop out the following season.

Its a very steep learning curve if you want get the best out of it and that's why it is so important to listen to those that have got to grips with it and are prepared to teach you what they know.

Treat them with respect and they are more than happy to share information on what is happening where , but its also important to get out as much as you can and start to figure things out yourself , I have shot alone most of this season as my shifts do not make meeting up with others easy but it also means I am getting down the marsh when they cannot and I am always happy to tell those that have helped me what I have seen and where

The wash is a huge and diverse area and each bit of foreshore has its own secrets to discover , I think the fact its a sport that gives more the harder you work at it is what makes it so appealing to me.

Hi marsh man , I think most of the wash clubs have vacancies , as you know I have not been fowling too long so could not really tell you how many drop outs the clubs tend to get , a few I.

would imagine ,

I went into it with my eyes open as what to expect , but if people join thinking they are going to put plenty in the game bag without having to put much effort in then chances are they are going to be disappointed and are more likely to drop out the following season.

Its a very steep learning curve if you want get the best out of it and that's why it is so important to listen to those that have got to grips with it and are prepared to teach you what they know.

Treat them with respect and they are more than happy to share information on what is happening where , but its also important to get out as much as you can and start to figure things out yourself , I have shot alone most of this season as my shifts do not make meeting up with others easy but it also means I am getting down the marsh when they cannot and I am always happy to tell those that have helped me what I have seen and where

The wash is a huge and diverse area and each bit of foreshore has its own secrets to discover , I think the fact its a sport that gives more the harder you work at it is what makes it so appealing to me.

I fully agree with what you say , on average I would say 4 out of 5 last for between 2 and 5 years and if there still fowling after that then its a good possibility they will be in it long term.

People have got the advantage of sites like this where if they ask they can be normally be given good advice but they still need to put the effort and commitment in themselves .

I get as many if not more blanks than most , but we are a rumon lot in that when we do get it right we take our share and leave them in peace . I have only got the clubs limit on geese once this season and on that night I took one out of a skein rather than try and get two r + ls , but then I am out night after night in all the different weather conditions so my chances come more often than the boys who can only go on the odd day or weekend . I love the traditional way of wildfowling and apart from putting a few decoys on a splash of water that's about it as far as decoying goes and I have never decoyed geese in my life but I do appreciate there is a skill to doing it but its not for me .

So to those out there who have just joined a club or are thinking of joining one in the coming season use the lighter and warmer days to explore the clubs marshes there got , like finding the way on and off , where the liggers across the dykes or drains are ............you never know you might be able to help someone else on a winters night showing them how to get off when the tide is roaring in.

I can never understand this, there are lots of people out there clamouring for some shooting and wildfowling clubs offer that at what is really, a cheap cost.

Hi " fenboy " and " ayano2 .....Would you say there are more, or less people taking up our sport by the members leaving or joining your clubs ?

According to B A S C, membership is increasing each year but I don't think any of the local clubs have a waiting list and if there is I know it wont be very long .

Without going into club details I think there is about 10% drop out , and about the same amount join , more so when we have good numbers of geese about like this year , so this year could see a increase in membership .

This is my third season and it's had its ups and downs.

I think any of the wash groups are good.

Ayano3 has help me along the way.

Washwildfowler has help me this season with a few mistakes which I have learnt from, as well as showing me the ropes in my first two seasons

I've come to learn that wilfolwers are a funny bunch but also some of the most helpfull people around.

I agree we must pull together and help new people, I am far from an expert but I still have managed to help two new memebers get into the sport.