help from 177 hunters

greenhout

Thats an exceptional bag timmytree, also very fine looking rifle. I'd say one of the nicest l've seen .. classic lines.

Thanks hoggy, that's only a beech stock too. Not as pretty as nice walnut but far harder wearing and only needs a wipe with an oiled cloth to clean it.

More importantly? That rifle has accounted for something like 1100 pigeons and 600 rabbits in 4 years as well as a few corvids and many thousands of paper targets!

• 1 month later...

You are not being an idiot. You are being a wise and seasoned hunter! .177 has been my mainstay for a few years now. rabbits, pigeons, rats, magpies etc. you name it it's a great tool. If I was forced to have just one calibre, it would be .177 without a doubt. It's especially good for shooting after dark when it can be a touch harder to be accurate with ranging your target. I've taken pigeons out to 60 with it, but keep rabbits below 50. That's down to the power limitations of the gun though, not the calibre.

Cue the flurry of agreements!

Use an 11 grain and 50 metres they drop down dead!

You may find that rabbits tend to just roll over with .177, when I used .22 they tended to jump 2 feet in the air with the same shot behind the eye for some weird reason. I only hunt rabbits and pigeons with my .177 pcp now, you'll need plenty of practice in anything over a 10mph cross wind past 30 yards though, they sway a bit...!! I find .177 very good using my NV kit, I zero at 35 yards meaning I use hold over to 15 yards where the first cross over is, then hold under to a max of 1/2" at 25 yards and back to cross over at the zero distance. I use only 1" hold over at 40 yards.... :good:

The power of the Internet....after reading this thread yesterday, I went out in the afternoon to pick up the hw97 22 I had reserved. And walked out with a 177. Maybe one I'll get a 22....

A fine rifle an a fine caliber, good choice on both.

A few days ago I posted a video of my NV shooting with a .177 - if you needed any more convincing, that is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

i shot .22 originally for years.

i bought a .177 to try....

went for a 177 ever since and feel i have reached nirvana with a winerack 80 .177 venom tuned. only gun i bought and kept.

OK, for the last 35 years I have shot Weirauch rifles with 22. I have just ordered a hw97kt to complement my hw100. Only I have decided to go for 177 since it is flatter out to 35m. The order will go to hull cartridge on Monday so I have two days and cold feet. Accuracy is everything right? So 177 should take down rabbits easily enough. Can I find some experiences from 177 hunters. No problem knocking them over? Anyone using 177 for hunting please convince me I am not being an idiot!!

No problems at all. A well placed .177 will knock 'em over just as easily as a well placed .22. The "shock and awe" factor might be lower, so accuracy is paramount, but other than that just go for it ..... the bunnies really won't know the difference. :no:;)

177 all the way i kill pigeons right out to 200 yds all day long .

Wow man you're awesome, I bet men want to be you and women want to be with you. I shoot cats and geese at those ranges too, gee whizz mister, perhaps I'm awesome too!

Where do I find the sarcastic emoticon?