Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

these are the stones (new ones) that i used........cleaned the bores up with the fine stones as i didnt want to take much off...then cross honed each bore for 5 seconds with the medium stones....the engine will smoke like a pig for the first 4 or 5 miles then the rings will bed themselves in and all the smoke will dissapear and it will burn nice and clean...

post-11401-0-47065100-1444828875_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-73842200-1444828890_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what we have here is the block cross honed ...on one of the pics you can see the honing marks "cross" each other....i also emery clothed with a flat block the surface of the block to get rid of the glaze and dirt/grime so the gasket has something to "bite" into when the head is torqued down...

post-11401-0-42931100-1444829330_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-13537200-1444829351_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-76399500-1444829364_thumb.jpg

next thing to do is to start thinking about putting the crankshaft in ...pistons and flywheel....had a few mins so i took the flywheel and old clutch off the doner engine..............clutch is past its best..(got a new one)...but i wanted to see what the face of the flywheel was like...they can be quite bad where they have heated up and become surface cracked...but under all the muck an' rust she's a gooden..

post-11401-0-63361900-1444920428_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-09055800-1444920458_thumb.jpg

these pics show the flywheel housing..(where the starter is bolted into).....and the "toe bearing/bush) which sits in the end of the crankshaft and centrilses the shaft coming out of the gearbox and thro the clutch...............bush will be replaced and the spider !!

post-11401-0-42855300-1444920667_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-16502500-1444920681_thumb.jpg

"toe bearing/bush". Never heard them called that before, spigot shaft bush, 1st motion shaft bush etc. Must be a local thing maybe ??

not local...........as you say spigot.............always known it as toe.........................tomatoes tomatoes...............lets call the whole thing off.... :lol:

not local...........as you say spigot.............always known it as toe.........................tomatoes tomatoes...............lets call the whole thing off.... :lol:

first time i come across it was when i was removing a gearbox from a volvo 145 DL estate and i needed a new bush....went to Volvo and they said it wasnt a bush it was a "toe bearing".....maybe if it is a bearing it is Toe and a bush spigot .......dunt know...

thought i would add this pic as it shows a strange "nock or keyway" cut into the flywheel............it is "timing lock"..............when you time the engine...you generally start off by "locking" the engine into a postion called Top Dead Centre....TDC.....to do this you screw in a bolt which has a spring loaded plunger...into the flywheel casing...gently turn the engine until it SNAPS into this keyway....then the engine is at TDC....piston #1 is at its greatest height before it starts to descend....then you work out the relevant postions for all the other cogwheels...according to the specs of the engine........

post-11401-0-46325200-1444936350_thumb.jpg

Good stuff Mate, :good: great for the budding Land Rover engine builders.

what i will do is when i have a bit of time ...i will lay out all the tools i have used to do this....and it will give "budding" hobby mechanics the confidence that they dont need thousands of pounds worth of tools...to strip down and mantain a "pre-computor" fitted engine

things were a lot simpler in those days............

Actually not so different, it still goes suck, squeeze, bang, blow :good: Slightly different shape though I will admit, and the Landy engine will be just a tad heavier to move around :rolleyes:

just a tad heavier ... :lol: ......i think this one weighs 657 lbs when fully dressed................how much do you rekon a VW flat 4 would weigh..??

just a tad heavier ... :lol: ......i think this one weighs 657 lbs when fully dressed................how much do you rekon a VW flat 4 would weigh..??

About the same as a bag of sugar :lol: Whereas the landy lump weighs the same as the truck that delivered said bag of sugar :lol: :lol:

The Landy's still light compared to the old Cummins engines we used to swing about. Our driver took one in the back of a Renault Traffic back to Cummins, and got done for being over weight ! :yes: Cummins 250 if I remember correctly, the 14 ltr model.

rubbish ...if you can build a shed like wot you showed us ....you could play with one of these...this engine is well within everybodies caperbilities...to take apart and put together and make it go.....................

You do yourself a disservice ditchman. You are a clever man when it comes to engines! :good:

It's a cracking refreshing thread! And while I'm here, you lost me with, "matching journal caps". What are they, and what's there purpose?

Edited by jam1e