Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

Probably starting up then just wailing it down the road does most harm to them, block hasn't had time to warm through. :hmm:

We rebuilt a few Land Rovers when I had the bigger unit, we had a chassis change down to 3 days :good: That was remove it and refit it after galving, not counting time to prep for galv.

Think it would knacker me now working like that :lol: Last motor I built was the Suzi trialler, that was a GOOD motor, very effective.

right you've in your time have meddled with a few landrovers in the past.....whats your view on removing the thermostat ?..................a lot of people do...i have never... ,..........

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should be no need, warm it up gently. Remove the stat and I would think you're messing it up, making it worse. When they designed (came up with) the TD they obviously tested it to destruction, just not as much as Joe Blogs, the idiot who starts from minus ten then blasts it up the steepest hill he can find to get the heater warm.

I'd leave the stat in, treat it gently (it used to be called mechanical sympathy) and keep an eye on the gauges. When I started driving many moons ago, especially hgv, this is what was expected of you. :good: When turbo's came out you started the engine at tickover, left it running a few minutes for oil to circulate then drove off steady until warm. When stopping you did the same, pull up and leave ticking over so spinning turbo had oil while spooling down then turned it off. If engine was very hot (overheating) you ran at fast tickover until normal then turned it off. never start and thrash, and never just turn off a very hot engine (it boils the water away from the head)

Bear in mind I did my time served truck mechanic in the seventies and trucks were primitive compared to today. Head gaskets were routinely changed, heads were skimmed regularly, drivers were given a boot up the *** daily for being total numpties :lol:

When turbo's came out you started the engine at tickover, left it running a few minutes for oil to circulate then drove off steady until warm. When stopping you did the same, pull up and leave ticking over so spinning turbo had oil while spooling down then turned it off. If engine was very hot (overheating) you ran at fast tickover until normal then turned it off. never start and thrash, and never just turn off a very hot engine.

rodp is speaking like a true Cat man ditchman.

just out of interest i wonder how many turbo-deseils are left on the road...how many years did they make them for 3 was it ?.............i rekon 98% have been converted to 200 and 300 tdi's...what do you rekon ?

my 2.5 td engine died last year and i went to a 200 tdi. it was very poorly in the end! id be happy with a 2.5 na still i love them.

just out of interest i wonder how many turbo-deseils are left on the road...how many years did they make them for 3 was it ?.............i rekon 98% have been converted to 200 and 300 tdi's...what do you rekon ?

my 2.5 td engine died last year and i went to a 200 tdi. it was very poorly in the end! id be happy with a 2.5 na still i love them.

I reckon not many. I think it was 3 years but haven't checked. Bet they didn't sell many after the first 12 months though. :lol:

Edited by rodp

my 2.5 td had done 198000 miles when i removed it! so good going really.i only removed it as it leaked oil fromrear main seal after severel goes at fixing that i swapped it for a 200 tdi

yes mine was 1987 the main thing i miss about that engine is the sound!

i have heard of loads of landrovers...with the 2.5 n/a that have done over 200,000 miles with just regular oil change ...timing belt done and a set of new nozzles............there is an ole boy in Brundall (next village)...that has a seris 2 i think...with a capstan on it he has had it from new and uses it every day....he earns a few quid as a local courier !!

my 2.5 td had done 198000 miles when i removed it! so good going really.i only removed it as it leaked oil fromrear main seal after severel goes at fixing that i swapped it for a 200 tdi

yes mine was 1987 the main thing i miss about that engine is the sound!

funny you should say that......my present one weeps a bit from the front seal....checked it last year and the seal is only push fit in the housing...mentioned this to my mate who i got the head off the other day and he said it is not unknown that the seal if it is in a poor housing will "spin".....so he had a rummage and gave me a good used one with the seal very tightly in position...which i will change for new, when the re-build starts..

the reason or one of the reasons i like the engine is it sounds exactly like a CAT.............."the CAT crack "

I was told the shells where worn on mine so the crank can "oscilate" slightly and allow oil past the seal? I dunno how true this is!

if the shells were that worn you would hear it as a deep knock....and it could quite possibly let oil thro the rear seal.......

i have heard of loads of landrovers...with the 2.5 n/a that have done over 200,000 miles with just regular oil change ...timing belt done and a set of new nozzles............there is an ole boy in Brundall (next village)...that has a seris 2 i think...with a capstan on it he has had it from new and uses it every day....he earns a few quid as a local courier !!

Used to work on a couple of disco's two that come to mind 400+k and 250+k, 200 TDI's just regular servicing and the odd head gasket due to the gasket giving way and loosing compression to the atmosphere at the rear of pot 4, still pulled well and little smoke, both working vehicles.... body's rotted away!

if the shells were that worn you would hear it as a deep knock....and it could quite possibly let oil thro the rear seal.......

It was leaking through rear main seal and I thought same. I paid a garage to do it in the end and it still leaked! And they told me bottom end bearings where worn..... So I did a 200tdi transplant and I had the same garage do the timing belt on my 200 tdi as I Didn't have time to do it myself and it snapped after 200 miles. Makes me wish I kept the 2.5 td and still able to use a classic car policy at £90 for the year! Edited by archiebald

My last Disco (300tdi) had done 250k or near enough when some wassock decided to do a U turn in front of me. Lovely motor, ran like a swiss clock. It's replacement 300, bought in a rush as a temporary motor, has done 100 and something k. It runs great but just can't take to this one. Going to find another then sell this.

Starting to take the valves out and check the seats ...which dont need replacing as they can be lightly refaced then the valves lapped in......a "ghostly " face appeared............must get the vicar to exorsise the engine before i put it in...so it dosnt frighten itself to bits..........when i finish taking the valves out...i will take it up to Cromer for pressing and refacing..................

post-11401-0-28894800-1442674232_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-50227600-1442674249_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-87417600-1442674267_thumb.jpg

the "mouth" of the ghostly face is the precombustion chamber....the end of the injector nozzle sits there next to the tip of the glow plug then the whole thing is capped off with the "hot spot insert"....which has a number of nipples inside it which glow red as the engine is running to aid faster combustion (expansion)....similar to a model aeroplane glow plug engine..........

post-11401-0-18775500-1442674614_thumb.jpg

The first pic is of the sequence of the........

1. injector
  2. injector nozzle
  3. injector shoud...(this protects the body of the nozzle from excessive heat and also completes the conical shape of the combustion chamber
  4. heater plug (for cold start)
  5. hotspot cap

the second pic is of the inside of the cap showing its glow nipples....

this engine is termed as "indirect injection"....as the expanding fuel enters the head and combustion chamber first

whereas more modern enjines are "direct injection"....the combustion chamber or sometimes referred to as the "swirl chamber" is now in the piston crown with the inject going straight thro' the head into that half egg shaped recess in the top of the piston................

hope i am not boring you ... :lol:

post-11401-0-82310400-1442677622_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-09682000-1442677646_thumb.jpg