Dealing With Cattle.

Parked my car in a field once and came back to my wing mirrors hanging off and the Ariel vent and a dent in the wing off the cows! I learned my lesson after that and parked outside the field and carried the gear! Heiffers dont bother me unless with calf, they can get a little over protective and see you as a risk! But on the whole I have had no trouble with them!

On the marshes where I do a bit of fowling the cattle are on there till the first week in November , during October all the gates are left open so the cattle can go on whatever marsh they want to finish the grass off .

If I go down there and they are on the only flooded marsh worth going on , I give them a call and they follow me and my dog around the marshes until I am on the other side of the one I intend going on then I cross the 8 inch ligger and leave them there watching me and my dog heading to the water , up till now they might be clever but they haven't worked out how to cross a plank of wood over a dyke. :lol:

Never loose respect for the cattle, after all you are entering there territory. I grew up around dairy cows and have milked a local dairy herd on a Saturday for almost 25 years.

I have been kicked and nearly crushed in that time, but last year i was nearly killed when a young dairy cow holstien/limosin decided to charge me and put me on the deck 3 times while i was amonst the cows in the field[i approached her with no stick!]. Only luck prevented me from being trodden on by 3/4 of a ton of cow!

On the whole cattle are lovely creatures but don't become too complacent. Always carry a stick, not to beat the animal, but most livestock is farm trained using the stick and most animals will respect it.

As said the quad bike is the way to go.

We were working on a fence for a new game crop in the corner of a field about 3 years back. In the field were several newly acquired lady cows the farmer had just bought. A very large bull from the farm next door got wind of his new neighbors and decided to check out the local talent.

This thing literally jump over his fence, ran down the road and jumped the fence into the field we were in. This thing was charging around like a raging bull for want of a better description.

Several tough fearless outdoors types cowered behind a hedge while the much braver farmers took on the beast with bits of blue pipe.

I can still recall the look on the face of the guy next to me. I have to laugh every time I remember that day.

Our rough shoot is a mixture of both beef and dairy cattle. I avoid both if possible but only because they will harass my dog, especially the beef when first out on new grass...and even more especially when they have calves.....bloody dangerous.

Landowner usually tells me which field to avoid as you can almost guarantee one will be psycho!

The dairy cattle settle down after a few weeks and leave my dog alone, but the beef ones are a pain to the extent I stop going up there unless I can plan a route to avoid them, even though my dog can easily outrun them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I once got chased by a herd of dairy cows, I had no dog, they had no young. I had been around cows a reasonable amount before that and was honestly not bothered. I just made it over the gate before they slammed into it- they honestly meant me harm. I've not been in a field with them since , I'm quite scared at the thought !

I feel there is some truth in concerns regarding continental breeds, they are **** to be honest if the fit takes them. We kept store calves as a kid just cheap cross breeds fresian hereford crosses that sort of thing. they were tame but i remember first cross breed limey we got was a total backside always bobbing about looking at you as you walk past it, i would not go so far as to say i hated it but it was close to that let me tell you. that thing it kicked an old lab i had back then its 40 years ago now remember it well.

I avoid cattle as much as possible but have just got another 150 acres of spring rape to go at whose only access is thru a field of beef cattle.

I'm wondering the best way to go about it. I don't really want to drive my new van thru them and get it bashed up and it would be quite daunting on my little quad bike.

I'm also worried about one of them getting past a gate when I open them and getting into a crop field or onto the road. Could be a very productive spot for shooting though.

Thundering herds of cattle scare the **** out of me to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Are you for real??? Grow a pair