Private sales

Only need to go through RFD if youre not purchasing in person i.e its miles away and is sent from the sellers local RFD to your local RFD, for you to collect from there. Fees are generally charged at both ends.

If buying in person, seller completes your cert and you both notify the feds

I am a little suprised that when you got your licence this was not fully explained to you I seem to recall it used to to be included in writing also along with other notes regarding safe keeping and transportation etc, perhaps this is sign that the issuing police force are grossly inadequate.

Private seller puts the details of the gun and his cert number onto your certificate - you need to note his full name and address as well as his cert number and issuing force and provide these via recorded delivery within 7 days to your Firearms Dept.

Most Firearm departments, I think, (I know Kent does) now accepts the information by email, which at least gives an automated reply acknowledging receipt.

OB

Most Firearm departments, I think, (I know Kent does) now accepts the information by email, which at least gives an automated reply acknowledging receipt.

OB

When I bought a gun last year the RFD emailed the transfer to Hampshire FAD. He also copied me and I in turn resent the info to Hampshire FAD. Belt and braces.

When I bought a gun last year the RFD emailed the transfer to Hampshire FAD. He also copied me and I in turn resent the info to Hampshire FAD. Belt and braces.

I do exactly the same, why? See under....

Cheshire accept emails about buying or selling guns and your quite right, you do get an email back

Hampshire give no such reply, automatic or manual, so you've no proof that you've informed them. Me? I print off the email and keep the paper copy in my shooting file.

I am a little suprised that when you got your licence this was not fully explained to you I seem to recall it used to to be included in writing also along with other notes regarding safe keeping and transportation etc, perhaps this is sign that the issuing police force are grossly inadequate.

Still in the process of applying, just too eager i suppose

Some forces do send an automated reply and some forces don`t, provided you have a copy of the email you sent (simply print a copy from your sent folder including the header) then you are covered also if you don`t get a mail returned notice then you know they have received the message. With the printed mail sent you are covered and with the email not being bounced back you know they should have acted accordingly and updated your records, simples :good:

With reference to read receipts this feature is not in my options using gmail on the pc or the phone this is why I use the method I do.

In the good old days when I lived in Birmingham I used to send them a letter and then telephone them a week later to check they had updated my records and the cheery voice on the phone always said yes that`s been done sir and is there anything else I can help you with. How times have changed.