Binoculars

Cosd

I'd like to buy a pair of binoculars, but I know nothing about them at all. They will be used for general recce and observation use for woodies. Don't want to spend a fortune, budget say around £50.

I'd like something I can carry in my kit so I can use in the hide as well, so something smaller is preferred.

I don't know what the numbers mean. What should the spec read?

?? x ??

good budget binos....

Bushnell H20

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/Bu...mm_13-1005.html

the numbers are the same as scopes..

so 10x25 is 10x mag, 25mm ocular lens

they also do them in 8x mag which might be better suited to stalking. i'd go with the 10s for general recce though.

Edited by nickbeardo

Every so often Aldi have binoculars on as a special. These have had good reviews and

I think are re-badged Bressers like ebay item number 260489285000 or 150378789629.

I bought a pair of these and a 'Jessops' branded pair a while ago. They were both

impressive for the money but I kept the Jessops ones as I just seemed to get on

with them better.

I find 8x magnification is plenty for spotting birds while not giving too much picture

'shake'.

Nial.

good budget binos....

Bushnell H20

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/Bu...mm_13-1005.html

the numbers are the same as scopes..

so 10x25 is 10x mag, 25mm ocular lens

they also do them in 8x mag which might be better suited to stalking. i'd go with the 10s for general recce though.

I bought a pair of the Bushnell H2O binos for that purpose. They are completely water proof and build quality is very good. Cheapest place I found was Amazon as they had a good deal on them a few months back

Mick

Cosd, hi,

Although there's a small trade off in weight/bulk, I'd go for 8 by 40. Anything by 25 is good in sunlight but on a manky day or at dusk/dawn the extra light gathering capability of the 8 by 40 can be useful.

Cheers

OK, so from the little knowledge gained today, it's the "40" number on waht you're quoting that gives you the extra light on dull days.

These look very good for the price:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=107160

Any remarks on these guys? The £50 Bushnell ones that nickbeardo recomended also look a decent buy. <_<

Cosd,

Basically, yes. Without boring you and everyone else, theres a relationship between the diameter of your eye pupil which alters with a change in the light, the magnification and the lens diameter.

Really mate you pays your money and takes your pick but I've also found it pays to listen what the chaps on the Forum recommend.

Cheers

Edit, just had time, try 107161.

Edited by wymberley

As nick says it is the same for scope, but you're now looking at moving objects.

As for the 7dayshop binoculars, I hope they're better than the really cheap 7dayshop ones we got as they went in the bin!

For very light use however like what it sounds you'll be doing then a good quality 25mm obj lense should to the job. Either 8x or 10x.

Also bear in mind that the larger the magnification, or the smaller objective lense, the smaller the exit pupil (dot of light coming through) will be. A good field of view will also be an advantage when scanning for pigeons, as you want to see a large area to see where the pigeons are!

For £50 it'd be good to look for special offers, as it's the same as anything - pay just a little more and the quality shoots up

OK, so from the little knowledge gained today, it's the "40" number on waht you're quoting that gives you the extra light on dull days.

These look very good for the price:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=107160

Any remarks on these guys? The £50 Bushnell ones that nickbeardo recomended also look a decent buy. :blink:

These 7DayShop ones are Konus Titaniums.......which retail between £55-70 depending where you look.

• 2 months later...

OK guys, bought these the other day http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=107160 and though I'm no expert on binoculars they seem pretty respectable. They feel solid and having used them on Monday shooting, they worked really well giving me a very crisp clear view at various distances.

I think they paid for themselves on my first outing as I spotted a pair of cock pheasants which were about 500-600 yards away, my naked eye could see something in the distance but it was too far for me to notice movement or even make out a shape of a bird; On looking through the binos I saw not one but 2 pheasants, me and my buddy walked where we saw them run for cover and bingo one took off my side and had him down with my second barrel, the other one took off but he was too far to shoot.....

As I said, I'm no expert but for anyone on a low budget needs some Bino's, for £19.99 inc p+p I don't think you'd be disappointed at all, plus they do a 60 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with them.

hi mate .just tried to order these, but had problem during payment did you have any probs ordering

cheers .alan

I didnt have any problems, but using my Abbey Visa debit card it did take me to another page asking for "Verification" if I remember correctly. I'd never had this before but I called the Abbey and they said this happens on some sites occasionally (it's like a fraud check), so I answered a couple of simple questions and it all went through fine.

I didnt have any problems, but using my Abbey Visa debit card it did take me to another page asking for "Verification" if I remember correctly. I'd never had this before but I called the Abbey and they said this happens on some sites occasionally (it's like a fraud check), so I answered a couple of simple questions and it all went through fine.

yeh same went to verifacation .asked for pin no aswell.never had this b4.then had problem.hope i havnt been scammed

alan

yeh same went to verifacation .asked for pin no aswell.never had this b4.then had problem.hope i havnt been scammed

alan

You haven't been scammed, as I said, I called the Abbey and they verified all was ok.

You'll be pleased with the Bino's, and at that price they seem a steal! I bet they'd give bino's costing £60-£80 more a run for their money.

Let us know how you find them.....

You haven't been scammed, as I said, I called the Abbey and they verified all was ok.

You'll be pleased with the Bino's, and at that price they seem a steal! I bet they'd give bino's costing £60-£80 more a run for their money.

Let us know how you find them.....

if they would let me pay for them i will.tried 3 times no luck