Night out lamping rabbits

Cosd

My cousin keeps asking me to go lamping with him at a local airfield where he works. He says they are inundated with rabbits but he wants company to go with, so he goes more often. He's been a few times and has always shot a few.

He can drive on the airstrip so two people would be ideal taking turns to shoot whilst the other drives.

To be honest I don't know if it's my cup of tea. I love the actual sport of anticipating the woodies and taking harder and harder shots; I don't know if shooting a rabbit at reasonable close range (12lb air rifle) will do it for me.

Should I give it a go, or will I come away feeling the same about the art or air rifle shooting?

No disrespect to the guys that love doing this, I love reading your threads, I'm just not excited about the idea.

It's more challenging then you may think, remember - there's only one bit of shot going exactly where you point it!

As said before, rangefinding at night is much harder and you get a cracking tracer effect as the skirt lights up in the lamp which will make you feel all the more manly coupled with shooting from a truck :yes::good:

give it a crack.

It's more challenging then you may think, remember - there's only one bit of shot going exactly where you point it!

As said before, rangefinding at night is much harder and you get a cracking tracer effect as the skirt lights up in the lamp which will make you feel all the more manly coupled with shooting from a truck :yes::good:

give it a crack.

Put a tiny drop of Snopake or Typex into the rear of the pellet, it works even better :yes:

i shoot mostly at night i enjoy it alot more we lamp on foot its great when you got 1 lamping while the other sneaks round the beam to get in killing range i hope you go and i hope you really enjoy it m8

Alpha Mule what is Snopake or Typex for the pellets??

i shoot mostly at night i enjoy it alot more we lamp on foot its great when you got 1 lamping while the other sneaks round the beam to get in killing range i hope you go and i hope you really enjoy it m8

It was originally made for typists to eraze their typos with white liquid stuff.

You can still buy it easily enough in most places that sell pens and pencils.

If you put a tiny amount in into the inside of the pellet skirt (the pen style ones make it easy), when you fire the gun with a lamp on, you can see the pellet travel all the way out. It comes into it's own when you miss as you can see where you did hit and change your aim as needed for the next shot (assuming the bunny sits still for you).

I'll see if I can sort some out and take some pics for you.

Think he means white correction fluid.

• 1 month later...

Personally I love lamping. I still enjoy a good stalking session too and ferreting but currently lamping is my fave. Lamping on your own with a headtorch and gunlamp is just as challenging as daylight stalking. I also go with a m8 in a 4x4 and the bag is always biggest then but then he has lots of little ferrety mouths to feed.

If the rabbits have not been shot at longer range from a vehicle you should manage to get within 40 yards of many of them. If you only take the shots you are certain will connect with the brain you'll not be teaching many of them that a vehicle is to be feared, especially if they are accustomed to seeing vehicles with headlights on nearby. It's a good idea to stay in the car rather than pick up if other rabbits are watching so they don't associate it with anything that walks.

Granted I use an FAC air rifle but most of those shots could have been taken with a 12ftlb rifle. Bear in mind here that the rifle is superbly rested in the door mirror gap and that I am also perfectly supported by the driving seat and the door frame. In addition - since I had not walked up to it my breathing was perfectly normal and I was totally relaxed.

The only part of the food that gets damaged is the head and brain so no problem there for most of us. Surprisingly some women (who are used to seeing blood and child bearing bits on a regular basis so are less squeamish than us mere men) like the brain.

Any rabbits that you wern't fully confident about will probably be more relaxed about the same vehicle getting that close next time - so that is one for pot at a future date.

one of the best things you will ever do,as been said go for it,you will never regret it.

i to love lamping and recently learnt how to lamp foxes after years of just shooting rabbits whilst lamping with airguns and now moved to fac holder,this new extra has been brilliant to learn and see it done.

i too used to walk only to shoot rabbits and was given the chance to shoot them from a 4x4 on a friends shoot overun by rabbits.loved every minute of it and thinned the rabbits nicely for the farmer.an experience i will never forget.

lets us all know how it went,good or bad but,do try it more than once as first time may not always go to plan(unless the guy you go with knows how things work,then it will go well).

cheers

al