cutting barrel down two 24"

mossy835

I assume it is a centrefire rifle we are talking about? I only ask because you have listed a rimfire and several shotguns in your profile but no centrefire. If it is a centrefire then strictly speaking I think it should be reproofed before you sell it, but I have seen arguments both ways on this issue. Most gunsmiths who do the work would probably want to send it for re-proofing in which case I would cost a lot more than £30. The proof house generally inscribe the new proof mark by the threads. If it's a shotgun you wanted cut down to 24" then you have to consider the choke. No idea how much that would set you back.

For what it's worth Brownells sells a crown cutting tool http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=628/Pro...CROWNING_CUTTER but for a one off use time you paid postage, VAT etc. it would probably not be very economic.

Does a barrel need reproofing if it has just been shortened and not structurally weakened by porting (or screwcutting in the case of rifles) for example :ernyha:

No ,if a barrel is shortened it does not need reproofed I have had 2 guns shortened by gunsmiths DONALDSON's and the gunsmith at BEESLEY'S Little Chalfont, I asked them about the reproofing issue and they said , if porting or other work is done it may need reproofed , best to check with local gunsmith,s.

Edited by farm boy

You must understand that if this work is carried out it will most probably render the gun worthless, to all but yourself.

Vertually no second hand- part exchange value,

just a thought :ernyha:

And it will make a significant change to the gun's handling characteristics. I had both 24" and 28" barrels for a Remington 870 many years ago - the former sat idle in my cabinet, as the change in balance and 'swingability' proved difficult to adapt to. I sold the 24" barrel to one of those Practical types.

You can cut the barrel down without reproofing, but it must be reproofed if you transfer it off your SGC. It's the same rules as those that apply to firearms. Pay a smith to do it for you, unless you have equipment for cutting and refinishing barrels.

Serial numbers off barrels are not entered on SGC'S just the serial number on the reciever.

You can shorten it without reproof too.

http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/proof.htm. So long as the structure of the barrel is not changed, all you are doing is taking a piece off where the pressure is the least.

I did the same with a Baikal years ago to give a more open choked gun.

The only gun I've owned which just had the serial number on the barrel was my Blaser but the newer one's are numbered on the action.

Edited by BlaserF3

FYI, BlaserF3, all Benellis have separate serial numbers stamped on the barrel and action, and my SGC listed these two distinct numbers at the FEO's request.

It all sounds like more meddling from various Police Forces such as having to fill "extra" forms in which are not covered by http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...pdf?view=Binary

I believe that some forces are telling applicants that they have to have lessons before they are granted a SGC, tell them that what they are doing is illegal. Some guns do not even have a number on at all.