Advice on getting a rifle.

joke209061

Hello,

Ive been shooting for a while now. Some of the places I go have lots of rabbits which.

The problem is that the rabbits are far too cunning for me to get at with the shotgun and once you take 1 they are gone for ages.

So ive decided that id better get a rifle, also one of the farms i shoot has munt'ies.

What rifle would be best suited to my needs?

Any other advice will be gladly received.

Cheers, jon.

Everyone will say different, but my recomendation is a rimfire for the rabbits and a .22 centrefire for the muntjac. You can get bigger centrefire but you get a lot of meat damage to the smaller deer. Whatever you go for, make sure it is a legal deer calibre in England.

:lol:

depends where they are shot, .223 will skin and gut them for you if you chest shot them but doesnt leave a lot of meat. They seem to cause major devastation. Saying that, I have only seen them shot at a maximum of 80 yards with a .223, maybe the slower .222 will be better on rabbits. :lol:

Rimfires are a lot cheaper to feed than centrefires, some of the bigger rifles, you will be paying over £1 a shot whereas the .22lr rimfires are pence to shoot

Edited by sharp_shooter_sam

No such gun exists.

The only centrefire worth having for rabbiting is the 22 hornet (or smaller 17 variants) - Mind... it is NOT deer legal.

Basically...

You want two rifles

a 22lr rimfire for bunny bashing

And something like a .222, .223 for Muntjac control.

Thanks for all the advice, i think ill just get a rabbit gun and leave the munties alone, i was advised by a mate that a .17hmr was what he used, but he goes out with a friend to shoot and doesnt actually have his own licence/rifle.

Would a .17hmr be any good or is a .22 better for the money?

You can get bigger centrefire but you get a lot of meat damage to the smaller deer. Whatever you go for, make sure it is a legal deer calibre in England.

:lol:

SS, my 6.5x55 does not damage a lot of meat on any size of deer, neither does my mates .30-06! I am surprised by your comment, if you use the right bullet there should be no problem with meat damage on any deer carcass.

In answer to the original question, I think you need two rifles. One needs to be a rimfire for rabbits, .22 is the most popular calibre, then a centrefire for deer. I would not get one of the smaller .22 centrfires because you are limited to muntjac and cwd only (roe in Scotland). I would go for something that will deal with all the deer species in the uk which is effectively a .243 (.240 in the legislation) or larger, then if you get the chance you could stalk all the major species of deer without needing another rifle.

ft

Thanks for all the advice, i think ill just get a rabbit gun and leave the munties alone, i was advised by a mate that a .17hmr was what he used, but he goes out with a friend to shoot and doesnt actually have his own licence/rifle.

Would a .17hmr be any good or is a .22 better for the money?

Got my hmr less than a week ago and got it over the 22lr as i have be warned as a first rifle it is far safer due to no ricochet also i was told you get a greater range with it. However it is both louder and more expensive to 'feed' with ammo. I am happy with mine though.

George

I have a 22lr and an HMR, the 22 is perfect out to about 70 yards, after that you are really having to hold over the rabbit alot if like me you have a 50 yard zero. The HMR is zeroed at 100 yards and is basically point and shoot from 30 yards - 120 yards. The HMR ammo is more expensive (about double) the 22 and unless you head shoot it causes alot of damage, pay your money and take your choice.

When you apply for the FAC I would apply for .22LR, 17HMR and a .223 or similar for the munties (all with sound moderators), that way if you decide later that you want to change you can.

Alright, good load of advice.

I didnt know you could apply for a load of different rifles.

I suppose i could apply for all 3 suggested and start at the bottom working up as and when I ca afford it.

Cheers chaps, as always loads of people offering good constructive advice, its genuinely appreciated.

I'd suggest you go for a .17HMR to start with. They're a really safe little round to use and are great to learn with. The down side is they're slightly noisy and more expensive to run than a .22lr but it's worth it.

Ask your FEO about a .243. It's the smallest round I would go for for Deer, you can shoot all the species with it unlike a .22CF which will limit you a lot if more chances at other Deer come along in the future.

Your FEO may not like the idea of you having a .243 at first. Do you know any experienced shooters who would be willing to watch you shoot for a bit (a mentor)? The police are more likely to allow a Deer calibre if you have a mentor to make sure you're safe and know what you're doing before you go out on your own. :lol:

Edited by njc110381

Alright, good load of advice.

I didnt know you could apply for a load of different rifles.

I suppose i could apply for all 3 suggested and start at the bottom working up as and when I ca afford it.

Cheers chaps, as always loads of people offering good constructive advice, its genuinely appreciated.

This is too true, it was joining this site that spurred me onto getting an FAC and then guided me through the process. This forum is a fountain of knowledge :lol:

George

SS, my 6.5x55 does not damage a lot of meat on any size of deer, neither does my mates .30-06! I am surprised by your comment, if you use the right bullet there should be no problem with meat damage on any deer carcass.

My apologies, I could of worded that a bit better. The bigger calibres for example 30-06 will cause MORE meat damage than lets say a .223.

As everyone has said, rimfire for the rabbits, .22lr or .17hmr- both have their advantages and disadvantages, and centrefire for the muntjac (if you decide to). If you apply for 1 calibre at a time, you will have to apply for variation and pay extra (£26 I think), if you go for them all on first application, they will be on your ticket for a good while. :lol:

Edited by sharp_shooter_sam

• 3 months later...