One hit, 1 miss,a dropped clanger

Topgunners

I arranged a session last night to go and see if we could find the 2 foxes that got away the other night.

The plan was my mate on his .223 and me with the rimmy to sort out the rabbits.

We arrived at the farm and dropped pigeons at 3 different locations in 2 fields. We then drove through the yard to the back fields and Dez got his rifle and lamp out and then we walked over to the trailer to setup. A quick sweep around the field with the lamp and we spotted one out in the 2nd field from us. We started to call it, and then in the background we heard the rumble of the tractor coming into the yard. I flashed the farmer to let him know we were there and he came over and wished us luck and walked back towards the farmhouse.

I don't think he had even had time to sit down, as on the next lamp the fox was now in our field and Dez took it out before it had reached the pigeons we had put out.

5 mins and one dead vixen.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

We squeaked for another half an hour and then nipped across the road to "clock" the other fields. I got my rimmy out and SHOCK, HORROR. I have only left my magazines in the cabinet. :blink:

"Looks like it's foxes only then" said my mate and laughed as I walked on muttering profanities to myself.

We laid the rifle down on the field and after about 40 minutes of calling we spotted 2 foxes coming down the field from 2 different directions.Well I just could not see through that LOOPY scope :blink: . The eye-relief was a nightmare for me. I was moving backwards and forwards along the butt for ages before I could make it out and was just lucky the fox didn't move much. I finally could see it and it was eating one of the pigeons we had left out.

I then let my mate get back behind the Rifle and he fired. We were both pretty sure he had killed it; but after a thorough search we could not find it anywhere. So I will be out shortly in the daylight having another look.

The rest of the evening's topic of conversation was that scope. How my mate hits them at 275 yards with that loopy glass is beyond me. I know it obviously has been set for his eyesight etc and it is what you get used to.

Personally, I would not purchase one for myself after struggling to acquire a clear picture instantly. I will stick to my Schmidt & Bender thankyou.

We spent another hour or 2 on walkabouts but no more were seen, so we packed up; had a quick coffee then headed home.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

which model was it?

One of the things that Leupold typically offers over comparable scopes is more eye relieve and less critical eye relief. This is normally true in the VX3 vs Monarch and Elite series scopes. Do either of you wear glasses or have poor eyesight? I know my dad and I have very different eyes. What he likes and what I like are very different in scopes. When my scopes are focus adjusted for my eyes, he can't see through them and vice versa. He needs glasses for up close things and reading, but he also uses them for some distance (different glasses). His distance vision isn't bad, just a little off 20/20. My up close vision is great, but for distance I've got a medium prescription strength.

Leupold aren't known for night time scopes.

Thanks,

Rick

Good job chaps :blink:

I've had bother with Loopy's before too, Always had trouble with the eye relief.. Stealth Stalker swears by them mind, and he don't miss many.

My 223 now has an 8x56 swaro on top, and the difference in low light foxing work is simply stunning!

GB

which model was it?

One of the things that Leupold typically offers over comparable scopes is more eye relieve and less critical eye relief. This is normally true in the VX3 vs Monarch and Elite series scopes. Do either of you wear glasses or have poor eyesight? I know my dad and I have very different eyes. What he likes and what I like are very different in scopes. When my scopes are focus adjusted for my eyes, he can't see through them and vice versa. He needs glasses for up close things and reading, but he also uses them for some distance (different glasses). His distance vision isn't bad, just a little off 20/20. My up close vision is great, but for distance I've got a medium prescription strength.

Leupold aren't known for night time scopes.

Thanks,

Rick

I would add to that.

I bought a Leupold and sold it after the first night out with it.

I bought a Swaro 2.5 - 10 x 56 and have shot 100's of foxes with it. Brilliant!

Don

Good job chaps :yes:

I've had bother with Loopy's before too, Always had trouble with the eye relief.. Stealth Stalker swears by them mind, and he don't miss many.

My 223 now has an 8x56 swaro on top, and the difference in low light foxing work is simply stunning!

GB

:yes::good: :good:

I have a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 on my .243.

Quality picture with no squinting.

Nowt wrong with the Loopy Dave. Mine gives one of the clearest sight picture I've looked through!

Get your mincepies sorted :lol:

Good work on Basil :good:

SS

Bloody hell it ain't XMAS yet is it?

Close -up piccy of stealth maybe.? ----- :yes:

and I have tried shooting them with my catapult , but they just break up into a gooey mess @ 20yds. :lol: :lol:

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

Nothing wrong with the scope ,its a cracking scope ,just the silly old sod looking through it ,he should go to spec savers ,as the sight was set for me ,especially when its on x20 mag at night and looking on the edge of the beam of the lamp ,tried most scopes and all have good points and bad. :blush:

A zoom scope will always be darker at night when set on high magnification compared to a fixed power scope ,i've hit many targets and vermin out to 600 yards with the first shot with the leupold. Good build quality but with the typical eye relief of an american scope ,so no one can sue them over cracking there eye with the scope ,with the recoil .Thanks for the shooting again yesterday ,my old mate.Not a bad bag on the crows .

Winchester SX3 is sweet .

Edited by 1 eye joe

This is the fussy eye relief of 'zoom' scopes. Leupold are particularly fussy ive found. Swaro are the best for eye relief on a zoom scope (that ive tried, yet to try a night force though)

The scope your friend has is really a target scope (hense LRT), however you can normally get moderately better eye relief and marginally better light gathering by having the magnification set lower, particularly if they are set at a multiple of 7 of the Objective lens (6x42,7x50,8x56).... supposedly the perfect ratio for our eyes light gathering ability. Obviously on an 8.5-25x50 you cant do this.

:) Very true ,was my scope ,and it was 8.5 x25 x50 mark 4 ,it is a very good scope ,but it was set up for me and not him ,nightforce scopes are very good to.But practicing on a range and in the field brings the best out of your scope and yourself ,a bit like finding your way around a lady in the dark ....lol, :lol:

eye relief is the ditance betwean the objective bell[the lens you look through]and your eyeball,that is required to get the scope and reticle focussed,normaly about 1 1/2 inch :):lol::lol:

I think you may have your scope on backwards. It's normal to have the objective lens at the end away from your eye, towards the object (there's a clue) you're trying to look at.