Removing Shotgun Cabinet screws from wall.

Bleeh

I'm moving house tommorrow and I'm taking my shotgun cabinet down.

It was secured to the wall using some sort of screw arrangement I don't know the name of (Came with cabinet)

(You had the main screw, that sloted into a metal guide with a nut inside it, it was like a massive metal wallplug).

I've taken the cabinet out, but the Guide/nut is firmly stuck into the wall. How on earth do i get them out?

Edited by Bleeh

Its a rawl bolt I belive, and you could try putting the bolt back in, only a few threads so it doesn't tighten anymore and then trying to pull the whole lot out with mole grips/swan-necks or something of the sort. Failing that chip away around them till the come out and get busy with the polyfiller.

Bleeh, is it a sleeve anchor ?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...um%3D1&um=1

If it is its going to be a pig ! I would say if you can tape the the threaded bar back to stop it spreading the outer casing you may be able to then get it out with lon nose pliers, failing that can you just unsrew the threaded bolt and leave the sleave and wedge in the wall and back fill it ?

Edited by salop sniper

There is a very good reason these anchors are used to fix gun cabinets to walls... they are an absolute ball-acher to remove!

If you've removed the cabinet you will have taken the nut off to do so. As SS says, I think, you need to try and get a pair of pliers round the sleeve and tap the bolt back in so the "head" of the bolt is back into the wall outwith the sleeve, then try and pull the sleeve out - what you are trying to do is force the sleeve closed so it will come out the hole - it'll take a bit of pulling.

Good luck! :hmm:

Rawl bolt if it was me I'd leave the bolt in place rather that start a process that

will inevitably leave a bigger hole to fill. They are not expensive to buy(£1-2) and if

you do sucessfully remove them are likely already to be damaged by the process.

If you must then screw them back leaving about an inch 1/2 off the wall then tap the bolt

gently in until it loosens markedly then take a narrow blade and probe down the side of the hole

to free off the sleeve on all sides hopefully this will cause it to close at which point you

can gently pull it free.

thats the best advice I've done this a few times recently as I've been renovating a house and the cabinet has had to be moved and you won't get a lot of the fixings out without destroying the wall, i've taken to just cutting them off with a grinder just below the wall surface level and filling over the top

What you do > screw the bolt back (5 turns or so) > hit the bolt head with a hammer > then pull the bolt out with the anchor attached.

It took me about 3 minutes to remove mine, they can also be reused.

Yyyyup! :hmm:

Works for me. I've done 3 separate homes with the same bolts.

Bleeh, is it a sleeve anchor ?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...um%3D1&um=1

If it is its going to be a pig ! I would say if you can tape the the threaded bar back to stop it spreading the outer casing you may be able to then get it out with lon nose pliers, failing that can you just unsrew the threaded bolt and leave the sleave and wedge in the wall and back fill it ?

Yep, bang on the money.

I've taken all your advise and desided to just saw them down and buy some new ones, they are installed on a dry-stone wall so I can predict a massive crack or something appearing if I try and tug them out, either way, it'll cost less just to replace them.

Thanks for your advise everyone.

There's a fair chance that the hole was drilled longer than the fixing sleeve.

Slacken off the wedge by putting the bolt back in just a couple of turns and hitting it in with a hammer.

Remove the bolt, which is probably messed up anyway, and use it in reverse(or something bigger) to drive the sleeve below the surface.

Fill in the hole over the sleeve.

If you can pull them out complete, they are probably not good enough for gun cabinet security.

Alternatively, pull the bolt out as far as you can with pliers or molegrips, cut it off with a hacksaw as near the wall as you can, punch the whole lot back in and skim over the top with some quick drying polyfilla.

There's a fair chance that the hole was drilled longer than the fixing sleeve.

Slacken off the wedge by putting the bolt back in just a couple of turns and hitting it in with a hammer.

Remove the bolt, which is probably messed up anyway, and use it in reverse(or something bigger) to drive the sleeve below the surface.

Fill in the hole over the sleeve.

If you can pull them out complete, they are probably not good enough for gun cabinet security.

This is what I did recently. Use brute force to knock them back into the wall, grind if you need to and fill.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...