Result: just been invited to a free days shoot

Beardo

Just got a call from the farmer who has land all around my mums down near Tenterden in Kent, i've met him a couple of times and he's a lovely chap.

Well he's just invited me as a guest to his shoot next month.

Chuffed to bits! I'd best go an get some smart shooting clobber...

• 1 month later...

Well had my first day out at a formal shoot yesterday - and what a great day it was....

First of all big thanks to SS for the loan of the tweed jacket - very nice and warm

5d2bd49100c04067c7b229e436ddbd80.jpg

Got up at 5:15, left the house at 5:40, fuelled the car and got on the M25 at 6am.

Nice clear journey down and got there at 7:45 which was a bit early (could have been nasty if i'd left later).

The farmer was out in the yard when i arrived clearing some space for the many vehicles that would arrive, so once that was done

we went in for a cuppa.

It was brightish clear day with no wind and a hard frost, so far from ideal for a driven shoot but better than chucking it down in a gale in my books!

Here's the view from the farm house...

623e7414c6369d52a3782840fedefbe1.jpg

Beaters and guns started arriving about 8.30am - really nice bunch who all made me feel more than welcome.

We were to shoot 3 drives before lunch and 4 after (lunch being early at 11ish). It's only a small shoot run by the farmer as a hobby, we had a dozen or so beaters (half with dogs) and 6-8 guns (depended on drive)

So we headed out onto the farm and for the first drive i was the very end gun up the left hand side, not a great position but i really couldn't complain as i wasn't paying!

Couldn't really see much of what was going on but heard the centre of the guns going well for a bit. Had one pheasant come high and straight over me, but it took me a bit by surprise and i missed horribly!

Second drive again i was the last gun on the far right this time, once again had a single bird which i missed - not going well on my part!

Third drive i wasn't quite as far up the side and had a much better view of the action - some really lovely high pheasants and a couple of partridge zooming over - i managed to bag a partridge on this one.

After lunch we moved over to the other side of the farm and for the 4th drive, i was a walking gun on the left side of the cover crop in line with the beaters, managed to bag one pheasant on this one.

5th drive i was round at the back of a wood, bagged a couple of nice pheasant on this, here's some photos from that position...

463ab47c8aa0d8f530b71dced68b292e.jpg

105552201495801eea9b52155c008376.jpg

6th drive was a funny little shoot wedged between some cowsheds and a lane, nothing came over me on that one, but good to watch some nice shots.

7th drive was really fun - we were lined up in a stream ditch that was about 20 feet deep so couldn't see out in front, just up - very little time to get on the birds (which suits me as i don't start rifle shooting),

managed two pheasant and a very high crow.

Then all back to the farm for tea.

So a really enjoyable day, and i must have behaved ok, as i've been invited back in January.

Edited by nickbeardo