First boar

Dunkield

Get a coffee, it's a bit of a long one :P

We headed off to Croatia once more last week, my third trip, the last two hadn't been that lucky for me.

They are unpredictable so even having a 'hot' peg doesn't mean you will get into them.

On the first drive this time, I was to be placed, but due to a mix up may mate got my peg :D once I worked out what was going on I grabbed the next one thinking I would be there or there abouts so it wasn't too put out.

The drive started with the beaters coming in from seemed like a mile away, you wait in total silence, so when the first shot is fired it never fails to make you jump, and your heart starts to speed up. I heard what sounded like my mate on the next peg blazing away and thought there go 'my' pigs.

All went quiet again and then I heard leaves being crunched by something much bigger than a dog and it was heading my way.

Out of nowhere this black shape appeared running about 50 yards in front of me and heading to me left very quickly.

Luckily it got to a tiny clearing and I got a shot off to which it reacted, then it ran even faster across the ride to my left and I tried to get another shot into it and clearly missed it, to say I was annoyed would be putting it mildly.

This was the track.

P1040192.jpg

There was no way I could leave my peg to see if it was down and had to wait until the end of the drive some 20 odd minutes later.

When the drive finished and the beaters back with us I pointed to where I thought it ran, they couldn't find anything.

Long story cut short, a good amount of blood was found further down the track about 70 yards or so, but still we couldn't find it, I was gutted.

We headed back for a bit of food with the other guns, collected my mate on the way past grinning like a Cheshire cat as he had whacked 2 which were being dragged up the bank. When I told him the peg mix up story he roared out laughing as any mate would :lol:

Did the next drive and I didn't see or shoot anything, but when we got back the camp fire the beaters and our host called me over to a boar that one of them had shot in the head with a pistol as it had attacked a dog.

It turned out to be my hog, so I had strange mix of feelings, happy to have shot one, but unhappy it wasn't a clean shot.

As I aimed at it head and the bullet strike was in the back leg plenty of lead is needed on quick pigs at that range.

The good news was the beaters and shooting ground owners gave a stick from the wood that they all signed.

The bad news I had to be whacked with it whilst laying over my first pig :oops:

You can't go against traditions it just isn't cricket.

Day 2, those who had not seen pigs were placed on slightly better pegs, despite how I felt about it I still had the biggest pig of day 1 to may name so I was placed as an end stop.

Thick cover all arround but with a promising track to my left, I thought if anything was coming my way it would be there.

P1040227.jpg

We were told this would be another long drive, over 2 hours, so I cleared all the leaves up and down the track so I could move left and right quietly.

Again the noise started miles away but ahead of any shots I heard heavy rustling behind me, about 30 yrds away in really thick cover I saw this huge shadow trotting toward the track to my left, safety off and already looking through the scope I knew i wasn't to have any time at all.

Then it appeared, bang, and it was gone.

First though, honestly, was here we go again. I was allowed to move from this peg as there was no one to my left, so I reloaded and headed off down the track looking right all the time.

I couldn't believe when I saw what looked like a monster pig laying in the scrub, the speed of it heading down the hill meant it had carried froward a good few yards.

P1040229.jpg

It was hit hard but it's back leg was twitching slightly so I put another shot into it's head (turned out later that wasn't necessary at all, but I didn't want a repeat of day one)

My new, slightly smelly, best friend that brought me my pig.

P1040234.jpg

At the end of the drive our host walked back up the track towards me with the shooting ground top man so I went down to meet them at the spot, both he and the man couldn't have been happier for me as conditions weren't good, and this they then revealed was a something of nothing peg, that just made it even better.

We collected Mungler on the way back up the hill who was as happy as larry as 6 beaters were dragging his pig up the hill, and they were struggling at that :hmm:

We had a bit of a play with a humane dispatch revolver while we had a wind down beer before heading off to the lodge (and that beer can died ;) )

P1040243.jpg

Back at the lodge the result of the days work was lined up, including our males, which if anything looked even bigger now.

They estimated mine at 180kgs and possibly mid bronze tusks but is TBA, I need to get them measured.

If I am honest I don't care about the size and the potential trophy status that is just a nice bonus, I was just so glad to have whacked one cleanly, under such difficult conditions, and with the trusty 6.5 which is more than up to the task - despite what the armchair experts might say.

For me this was first pig, but I didn't say anything at the time, as I didn't need another cherry popping beating over a hog thanks all the same...

Stuartp.jpg

To round the trip off nicely, the last day was the quietest day of the three, with only 4 pigs shot, and I shot one of those :)

So a bit like buses you waiit two years and, well you know the rest....

Great trip, great company, and SAFE guns, I may have to change my mind about not going back and doing something different next year :hmm:

I will dig out some other, random pictures and stick them in here once they have been uploaded to photobucket.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you had an excellent trip :lol:

Not knowing much about riffle shooting, what sort of distance do these rounds travel, as you said you had beaters out in front and do they give some sort of signal when they are getting close to you, or do the Boars just run in the opposite direction of any noise being made etc

Sounds like you had an excellent trip :lol:

Not knowing much about riffle shooting, what sort of distance do these rounds travel, as you said you had beaters out in front and do they give some sort of signal when they are getting close to you, or do the Boars just run in the opposite direction of any noise being made etc

If the boars ran towards the noise, you wouldn't need beaters :P Don't you worry about them Croatians, they can shrug off a riffle shot no bother