First boar

Dunkield

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not knowing much about riffle shooting, what sort of distance do these rounds travel, as you said you had beaters out in front and do they give some sort of signal when they are getting close to you, or do the Boars just run in the opposite direction of any noise being made etc

The boar run towards you, rougly speaking the line of guns can be anything up to a kilometre long, normally a semi circle if the ground will allow it.

We had 13 guns and on average we were spaced out at 100 to 150 yard intervals depending on the terrain, usually you don't see the gun next to you, but that isn't always the case.

You have to be safe, I cannot stress this enough, this is without doubt the most dangerous thing I have ever done, for that reason I am very very fussy who I shoot with.

I had a shot hit a tree about my head last year (long story and not for here) which brought home just how dangerous friven shooting with rifles can be.

The beaters walk straight towards you, both they and the guns now have to wear orange vests which the boar just see in monchrome.

And to answer the distance question, centrefire rounds travel about 6,000 metres if shot in the air :lol:

Now look at this picture and ask yourself would you go on a trip with people you know nothing about when 2 decent sized boar passed between me and the gun to my left, just were that sunny patch is.

The camera has shortened the distance, he is still only about 100 yards away.

P1040263__Medium_.JPG

I just looked at one through my scope, I had absolutely no intention of shooting it, but I saw it and him at the same time in my scope.

Imagine being next to an Italian in that situation :P

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I would love to do something like this myself at some stage, but like you said I would not want to do this with anyone i was not sure was 100% safe, got to be safer going in a group of people you already know or you have been out shooting with before...

I dont think i would want to go Beating for wild boar knowing there were riffles pointing in my direction

But it does sound like one of those ultimate shooting experiances, maybe one day. but a very nice read seems like you all had a great time :lol:

I dont think i would want to go Beating for wild boar knowing there were riffles pointing in my direction

I don't want to put anyone off (accidents do happen but they are very rare) but you also need to know the beaters carry rifles, shotguns and handguns.

The handguns are used to fire shots near the boar if they need steering or to get them out of thick cover.

If they hold up in thick cover they get very aggressive and can attack the dogs, so they are 'encouraged' to leave that cover and head on towards the guns, and you don't do that with a beating stick :lol:

I umm'd and arr'd (if that is how you spell it) for years before going and can honestly say it is one of the most exciting and enjoyable forms of shooting I have tried - so far...

I shot mine straight in front in thick cover, real thick cover, and so did the gun next to me, in fact he shot 2 - this guy was the master boar slayer no question about that.

Our instructions were to stand at the front of the track (right in that picture) and shoot in front or behind at about 60 degrees either side if that makes sense?

But common sense means you can't really, like driven bird shooting you would hope people would raise their muzzles up and swing round not swing through the line.

The big hog that came out stopped at the back (left) on the ride before it jumped down the track on the other side, maybe only for a second but enough time for a shot in the right circumstances.

I did think to jump down the ditch in front of me to get the angle backwards, but the noise would have spooked him and I would have ended up in a heap in the mud at the bottom :lol:

A shot like that can still hit bone and ricochet - just not worth it.

the thing I am kicking myself most of all about was not getting the camera out instead, a big black pig on the track with the guns in the background would have made quite a picture.

Oh well, there is always photoshop :P

With all the adrenaline pumping, you can imagine just how risky it is. I don't think i'd like to stand on that path knowing nothing about the chaps either side of me either. The scrub does look thick I must admit.

But what a cracking time you had, great write up and pictures Stuart. :lol:

ah in that picture the cover looks too thick to see through in front :lol:

It is, but I took the shot and the placement (even though I am bound to say it) was inch perfect.

I wondered how the hell people shot through that stuff, but with experience you realise if you hit a tree you keep your eye on the boar, keep swinging, reload and get another shot off, as long as you are shooting down of course.

A couple of years ago I would have said it was an impossible shot, but we are learning all the time...

Fascinating stuff Stuart & great pics.

What other facts & advice can you come up with. Are the boars generally running or are there oppotunities for standing shots as well?

Didn't a beaters dog get shot last year as I recall?

SS

You would be very lucky to get a shot at a standing Boar,by standing it depends on how long you mean 2 seconds 5 seconds??? that aint long when you take all into account.

1st you see it

2nd check target

3rd you start to mount

4th IS IT A SAFE SHOT :lol:

5th aim and shoot

It does happen when they are thinking which way to go, then decision made, there off like a rocket, and boy can they shift when they want to. there are allot of views obscured by thick cover as allready stated but occasionly you get the chance to see a fair way infront without obstuctions

As for a dog getting shot not on our trip last year, I think one was killed by a Boar (about 50yards infront of my peg) if not 2 not sure about the outcome fromthe one that got taken to the vets

Fascinating stuff Stuart & great pics.

What other facts & advice can you come up with. Are the boars generally running or are there oppotunities for standing shots as well?

Didn't a beaters dog get shot last year as I recall?

SS

In all honesty I have only seen about a dozen and the 3 that were safe, I shot.

The last one paused like Dougy says, were aren't talking fox sat still in a lamp, it was probably 2 seconds tops - you have to think on your feet.

What actually happens is you play out various potential scenarios before the hogs arrive, you could be stood there for an hour so you need something to do!

I spent the time looking through my scope at 'yes' 'no' shots so when/if the moment arrived some of the thinking was already done.

No one has ever shot a beaters dog on the 3 trips I have been on, I am sure Dougy is right one got into a fight with a hog and came out worse off.

If you thinking about it the only advice I could give is get a low mag scope say, 2-3x and if you don't have anywhere to practice get on some of those BSRC days at Bisley.

And call boar, boar, not boars :lol:

What a fantastic trip.

My adrenalin in overdrive on the pheasant shoot.

Think i would just go :lol: on something like that.

I pursume the beaters are all local ?.

I would love to be a beater on the shoot like that.

Just dont think i would be able to get the game into my gamebag though. :P

That really is the trip to tell your grandchildren about.

Just out of interest what do they test the blood for.

xxxxSuzy

Mrs Sweepy,

now i'm not saying your not "fit" not at all !!!

But i can tell you and many others, those beaters are bloody amazing you need to see the tarain they walk up down and through.

Its hard enough for the guns, and they have the easy bit at times even get dropped off by vehicle.

I for one would not change places with those beaters,

But there again Mrs Sweepy i am sure you would get plenty of assistance going up and down those big hills :blink:

And Trichinella spiralis I think? :hmm:

Hi Alex,

Yes you are correct, they are more concerned with that than TB.

Stu,

I hope you have left some for me, I am going out again on 3rd Dec.

I went on Franks first trip and thoroughly enjoyed the food, the company, the noise of others having the odd shot and the weather was kind as well :blink: The Boar were not very obliging though :good:

We only had ten guns so that made it a bit more difficult too.

I am hoping for colder weather as then the Boar will not have travelled so far from the usual areas and it will be a little easier for the beaters to bring them towards the guns - I hope, say I fingers crossed :blink:

Firstly welcome aboard EMcC, I wondered how long we could go undiscovered :o

Yes, we heard the weather was against you, it didn't help us to be honest, at the airport on the way home Frank said there was no way he would have thought we would get 20 pigs in those conditions, and that was with a few being missed.

I hope it cools down for you and Alex before you return, and you don't get the "you should have been last week" syndrome.

We do seem to be a lucky group though, biggest male this year (very early days I am sure there will be bigger) biggest bag last year - we must be doing something right :)

For us the best ground has to be the well organised club over at Papuk, I am sure I should know the names by now but I don't :) and Nearshaw's (phonetic)

The local club was the disappointment, and they put on the scary drive at the end, I don't know how much more of Frank's business they will be getting, which is shame.

When I get the time I will post on the BBS as well to counter the nay sayers on there :|:D

There is one club that is a head and shoulders above the rest and which consistently delivers the most beaters and pigs, and not all groups get to visit it. I was rather hoping that we would keep that quiet for next year Stuart :|

EDIT:

Don't go posting anything on the BBS - I wouldn't want to share a trip next year with a van load of "ballistic brothers"; full of great stories about their re-loading set ups, bizarre black powder pistols and 1/2" groupings at 200 yards.

Also you will probably get banned for (1) posting something interesting which is not designed to start a fight (2) posting a photo and (3) posting a photo of a dead animal.

Edited by Mungler