Help!

JONO

Help!

I misplaced my magnet arms - I believe left at the edge of a rape field prior to cutting. I'd phoned the farmer as soon as I discovered them missing, and even went back for a look round but he hadn't heard or seen anything from his farm hands.

I figured they'd been stolen but got a call last night from my club chairman saying that the farmer had been in touch as apparently they had been found having caused damage to a machine which accompanies the harvester!

Apparently my worse nightmare has occured.

I've got to call the farmer tonight to try and sort this - any idea if this sort of thing would be covered by the CA/BASC insurance should he wish me to pay for the damage?

Am VERY anxious about this so any help/advice much appreciated...

Thanks

Jon

I'm with the CA (comes as part of my clubs subs)

They think I'm covered (which is great) but have advised me not to contact the farmer other than to pass on insurance details...

I can't apologise (admitting liability) and can't get into too protracted a conversation (may influence the farmer's decision to claim) but I want to keep the good relations I've built up and not adversly affect future shooting opportunities.

Not a great position to be in.

Thanks so far - any further thoughts?

J

I lost a metal hide pole in a rape field once and more recently 2 metal cradles.

I was going to mention to the respective farmers to keep an eye out for them but then thought that the most likely way they would be found was when they got chewed up in some machinery.

I then resigned my self to the fact that it could well be cheaper in the long run to replace the articles myself and say nothing.

Thanks jono, you have just convinced me I made the right decision.

Best of luck with your insurance claim, after recent posts about BASC insurance I am sure a lot of us are awaiting the outcome eagerly.

I would think that the best next course of action would be to visit the farmer and establish just how much damage has been caused. This will show good intention on your behalf at least.

If the damage is significant then he will want to claim on Insurance, yours if you have it, his if not. If he can claim on your insurance then at least you might stand a chance of maintaining the permission.

But this of course is all going to be determined by his reactions, of which you won't know until you visit him. I am surprised the accident occured, what with the euipment being left on the edge of the field and the farm machinery operators supposed to be looking for obstuctions etc. I might be prudent to ask where the accident occured and also find out if ineed it is your equipment that caused the problem.

Best of luck,

Axe.

Sorry to hear what's happened. I would go with Axe's suggestion - it may not have been your kit causing the damage.

Keep us posted on events, there seems to be some doubts over some of the insurance policies on offer, so hope you don't have any probs.

Piebob

Maybe one of the problems of getting your shooting via a third party, I prefer to know the landowners where I'm shooting be it a massive farm or a big rambling garden. That way you've a bit better idea of how to approach them individually if there is a problem and whether they ae likely to take the ****.

In a way you've given him an opportunity to get his machine fixed by telling him you've left some of your metalwork out in the field, can't expect the farm hand to be looking out for your magnet arms while he is driving round the field as they should be fairly well camouflaged.

I'd be surprised if they had done major damage to the machine as most of the kit they use is pretty robust, it has to be to stand up to the abusive way it's often used !.

Hope it works out for you, always worth having a last check round when packing up, was taught that at an early age by my Grandfather after a day out fishing.

Jono

If you're insured then it shouldn't be too much of a problem BUT what is a problem is an upset farmer. Always assuming he's being upfront with you about the damage and not trying to pull a fast one. Go talk to him that's probably the most important thing you can do right here right now.

Stable door and all that but ALWAYS no matter how pushed you are for time, how hard it's raining, how dark it's gettin' (although why you're out so late would be a good question :D ) ALWAYS check that you cleared the field. Permissions are hard to come buy, take a lot of time and effort, but are quickly and easily lost usually over stupid stuff.

I'm with the CA (comes as part of my clubs subs)

They think I'm covered (which is great) but have advised me not to contact the farmer other than to pass on insurance details...

I can't apologise (admitting liability) and can't get into too protracted a conversation (may influence the farmer's decision to claim) but I want to keep the good relations I've built up and not adversly affect future shooting opportunities.

Not a great position to be in.

Thanks so far - any further thoughts?

J

I'd follow what the CA say at this moment in time you have to keep on their side!

If your kit did chew up farmer palmer's bailer then he is going to be MIGHTY P###ED Off with you, so as they say, Ring him pass on your insurance details.

The CA will probably send an assessor round to look at the damage to see if he's swinging it (That is NOT your job) but only if its a lot of money that he's claiming

You might want to contact the CA and send them pics of the parts you lost to help them with the claim

Do all you can to make this flow as smoothly as possible and you never know the farmer MIGHT laugh it all off

if not at least you acted in a gentlemanly way , we all make mistakes , you live n learn

after a couple of months you could try sweetening the farmer with a bottle or two of malt :*) :*) :*)

Keep us posted WB

Didn`t say Jono said they were made of metal. :< You asked which metal they were made of, aluminium, steel or glass fibre. Glass fibre is not a metal hence my question. :lol:

Can`t help it if you use bad grammar Peck!! :unsure: Perhaps you should have said which metal are they made of aluminium, steel, or (WERE THEY MADE OF) glass fibre. :blink:

PS As I was typing this you were editing the original post.

Edited by invector

Sprung steel.

From what I gather the harvester roled one of the arms over and then it jammed the blades (took a decent nick out of the arms tho') - no damage to the CH blades but it did burn out the cambelt driving them.

Have agreed with farmer that if its cheap I'll buy him beer, if its an insurance job then it's an insurance job - but no hard feelings.

Any idea how much a new Combine Harvester drive belt costs?

J

Edited bit - Ta Mike.

Edited by JONO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this site so appreciate I may be coming into this too late.

Most agricultural machines have a built in device to limit damage from a 'jam'.

Do you know what type of machine it has damaged, Combine Harvester or Baler ?

The reason for asking is I find it difficult to believe that you caused any damage at all. If the rod was sticking out of the ground then it could have jammed the knives on the cutting bar on the front of a combine, the knives are replaced easily. I can't beleive that a baler picked it up if it was laid on the ground.

Have you seen the damaged piece of metal to identify that it was yours ?